Weird type of headache.....Shooting pains, not migraine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by praisingHim, Feb 27, 2003.

1. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Does anyone get this strange type of headache? It's not like a migraine, but just pains that shoot through your head and its gone as quick as it comes. It's really weird and can be scary.
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

that was a type of migraine! I used to get classic migraines for years, and since my hysterectomy, have gotten very few, although I did have one a few months ago that landed me in the ER after 3 days of suffering.

I've been getting the same kind of headaches - shooting pains up the side of my head - for a few weeks. And when it's happening, I feel very disoriented and strange. But it lasts for 30 minutes to a couple of hours, then it's gone.

It's on my list of things to ask my doc about at my next appointment.

Karen
  3. pamela

pamela New Member

since I really got sick with FMS. I usually have it when I eat sugars or starches and/or take meds that I react to. I also have the shooting/stabbing pains in my body and ache really bad. When I cut down to a restricted diet and only take my Lorcet I'm alot better. I would say talk to your doctor about this it could be neurological. Pamela
  4. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

this is what it sounds like to me...do a search in this site for icepick headaches, i know there have been posts on this before...i also suffer from migraines and get these horrible, annoying, headaches as well, and they kind of throw you off for a second....anyway, i hear ya.
    peace,hugs,god bless, camelgirl
  5. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

I have heard of icepick type headaches. I have done research on this. I am glad other people know what I am talking about. Many doctors are not familiar with these, since they are pretty rare. Thanks for replying!
  6. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

I have had a neurological consult when I was in the hospital last year, but no doctor seems to be too concerned about it. I am have a food allergy test done next week (the sensitive one done by a intergrative dr) so it may show up something. Talk to you later.
  7. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

WELCOME!!!
    peace,hugs,god bless, camelgirl
  8. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Mine are right behind my left eye, feels like someone is stabbing me there, with...yes, an ice pick! My MRI did show that I have dilated veins in that area, so I wonder if that's anything. But I get them all the time and they are there with almost every headache I get.

I just had this again yesterday, but instead of coming and completely going away, it lasted for 24 hours and when it did go somewhat away, I felt like I just suffered a migraine, that spaced-out, fatigued, weird feeling you get.
    This was by far the worst one yet too, absolutely horrible. I never considered them a type of migraine before, but after yesterdays, I think it definitley was!

~LISA
  9. pamela

pamela New Member

Also maybe you could try to curb the diet to no sugars, starches, caffeine and carbs!! It helped me alot. I still ache but not like I use to. Check your meds to. lactose is in most all meds and that one really killed me!!! Talk about fatigue and pain... (((HUGS)))) Pamela
  10. susabar

susabar New Member

It is weird that you ask that because... yes, it has been happening to me too !!! I have always gotten migraines but just since I was diagnosed with FM, I too ahve gotten shooting stabbing pains in my head that don't last too long but are very intense and frightening !!!!
    Good luck
    Sue
  11. ruby7

ruby7 New Member

last time I had them they lasted 3 day! And when they first started my eyes felt funny, also the light bothered me.
  12. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

headache because if feels like an icepick. They may only last seconds. Nothing that I'm aware of can be done, but just because I'm not aware of something doesn't mean there's something out there. dolsgirl

[ advertisement ]