Weird Whittemore Peterson virus

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofstep, Apr 12, 2009.

1. outofstep

outofstep Member

This is bizarre-in the IASCFS/ME summary of what seems to be their Virochip research, the 5th most highly expressed virus was the bombyx mori densovirus-a virus that silkworms get!

"Viral gene micro-array was used to detect viral DNA in 40 patients by the team led by Judy Mikovits (Reno,USA). 1608 viral transcripts, microRNA or endogenous viral elements were observed in the subgroups of patients and controls. Adeno- and rhino-viruses were the most commonly detected in the controls. Herpes viruses (particularly HHV7 and CMV) predominated among the CFS patients. Human endogenous retroviral elements were also differentially expressed. This may be significant in CFS as neuro-degeneration can result. Bombyx mori densovirus was the 5th most highly expressed virus in CFS patients, and adeno-associated-virus 3,3e,4 and 2 were all in the top 20expressed in patients but not in the controls. These viruses require helper viruses such as herpes or adenovirus to replicate. These studies may provide insight into the immuno-pathogenesis in CFS."</div>
  2. outofstep

outofstep Member

The summaries are at the IACFSME webiste-for bombyx mori densovirus just google
  3. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

so thats why I emit a trail of silk while i walk. yes, now it all makes sense!!!

(just kiddin obviously!)

4. outofstep

outofstep Member

5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i don't think i buy it.
  6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

7. outofstep

outofstep Member

it really makes you wonder...

"Flacherie (literally: "flaccidness") is a disease of silkworms, caused by silkworms eating infected or contaminated mulberry leaves. Flacherie infected silkworms look weak and can die from this disease. Silkworm larvae that are about to die from Flacherie are a dark brown.
    There are two (or three) kinds of flacherie: basically, infectious (viral) flacherie and noninfectious (touffee) flacherie. Both are technically a lethal diarrhea.

Viral flacherie is ultimately caused by infection with Bombyx mori infectious flacherie virus (BmIFV, Dicistroviridae), Bombyx mori densovirus (BmDNV, Parvoviridae) or Bombyx mori cypovirus 1 (BmCPV-1, Reoviridae). This either alone or in combination with bacterial infection destroys the gut tissue. Bacterial pathogens contributing to infectious flaccherie are Serratia marcescens, and species of Streptococcus and Staphylococcus in the form known as thatte roga.

In 1865, Louis Pasteur was the first one able to recognize that mortality due to viral flacherie was caused by infection. He developed a method by which silkworm farmers could distinguish and discard infected eggs using a light microscope."

8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

So we're supposed to be infected with this, too? Anything is possible, but it's more likely someone's research got contaminated by clothing fibers and this showed up. But I wouldn't be surprised at this point, if it's just another thing we have.
  9. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

don't want to jump to conclusions, but now I am wondering if this virus is what is causing recurrent diahhreea in myself and my husband for the last several months. We are at our wits end. Do you have suggestions on how to treat this type of virus? Do you have any idea how we would come down with a silkworm virus??? We happen to have a mulberry tree.........could that have anything to do with CFS? I am wondering if diarrhea is a common symptom of CFS? I don't think I have seen that listed as a symptom.
  10. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Have a link to the study? Are they saying this disease can infect humans? It appears to be described in silkworms...
  11. outofstep

outofstep Member

Don't panic (or chop down your mulberry tree)-the WP Institute needs to interpret their results before we know what this means, if anything. Like Teabisqit said, it could be a contamination.

CFS can cause gastro problems but if it's unusual for you and your husband then you should see your dr.-they can do tests to find out what's causing it.

Sorry-didn't mean to alarm you-it's just such an unusual finding I thought I'd point it out.

12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi all,

I noticed that in the conference summary too, and I thought "What the heck??" How could humans get a silkworm virus??? I hope somebody explains this at some point.

13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

nannibel....i would think it more likely that you have enteroviral infection, which causes GI issues. this is treated with interferon and oxymatrine. you need an upper endoscopy / biospy to properly diagnose it, but you can start with a blood test for enteroviral antibodies.

for more information about this, look up dr. john chia or email kristin loomis of the HHV6 foundation at:

you may not have any of these infections...i had diarrhea on and off throughout my many years with CFS and i do not think i had enterovirus. at different phases of the disease, different infections of the gut are able to take hold.

best of luck
  14. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

I apologize for panicking, but like I am becoming exasperated with this gastro virus that never seems to resolve along with all the other symptoms that feel like your typical viral flu. If I had to pick the worst times with this disease it would be that, the big "D". My husband and I just call it the "D" now. We would go off to see the doctor, but now my husband refuses as we have had episodes of this before and they end up taking all kinds of stool samples and nothing shows up. The part that panicked me was the "fatal diahrrrea" described in the weird silkworm virus. The hardest part of this DD is we never no actually what the heck is causing our illness.
  15. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

Thank you Sue for your help. I intend to read about enterovirus right now and Dr. Chia , and Kristin Loomis. This just might be our problem. THanks again N.
  16. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

Thank you Sue for your help. I intend to read about enterovirus right now and Dr. Chia , and Kristin Loomis. This just might be our problem. THanks again N.
  17. outofstep

outofstep Member

I know-this disease is a complete nightmare and so few drs know anything about it or what to test for. I think that the WP Institute is on the right track though-they're finding out what viruses people have and this will help with treatment and also legitimacy of the illness. It's just a slow process. But it's pretty amazing that they now have the technological capability to do this, and that they are applying it to our disease.

Even if people do have a silkworm virus (and frankly nothing would surprise me at this point), it won't necessarily affect people the same way that it would affect the silkworm-although most of the time I do feel like a weak flaccid silkworm myself. Unfortunately we just have to wait until WP gives us some more info about what their study results mean.

I think that Sue's advice is good, especially since you can get tested and there's a treatment for enteroviral infection. Hopefully soon we'll have some more answers re: what's going on.
  18. waltz

waltz New Member

Thanks for posting this. This seems like such a smarter way to go about investigating the viruses instead of different doctors randomly picking their own set of a few arbitrary virus antibodies to test for and patients having to draw hundreds of vials of blood. Why didn't they do this earlier?? Mikovits seems to be pretty smart.

And that is interesting about the herpes being helper viruses.