Weirdest thing-no Fibro symtoms since the Flu bug!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Jan 21, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

OK, I was here a few weeks ago to let you all know that I had a terrible case (is there a GOOD CASE???) of the flu!

During that time, I had NO signs or symptoms of fibro at all! We all tossed around why and what for, and I'm telling you that now:

Three weeks later, with most of my flu symptoms gone, I don't have any signs or symptoms of fibro! Is this weird or what??

Not that I'm knocking it! Believe me-wouldn't it be great it if just went away and never came back?? I know that THAT is too good to be true, but how weird is this??

I'm still taking all my meds, b/c I don't want to go through withdrawals, but to be honest, I think I could wean off them, and not have too many problems, except for the pain in my spine.

So....wouldn't it be great if getting the flu was the answer to at least a temporary relief from this ugly disease????? I don't know-don't want to trade one for the other, but it sure was nice not having to deal with BOTH!!!

Thanks for reading. PG
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

and I was thinking how the symptoms are so much like FM/CFS but milder. Strangely, I was almost thinking well, maybe a good dose of the flu would shock this out of my system! There are some issues surrounding the flu shots and start of FM. My latest flar started after I had my flu shot this time and I have felt fluey since, although the latest is a friend who passed it to me(YUK) as she fails to tell people when they are sick at their house. I take Zicam and Airborne to reduce severity and length and this seems to work(for me) very well. Have a wicked headache this am though after feeling so exhausted at 8.00pm I could hardly make it from bath to bed. Hope this goodhealth continues as wouldn't that be wonderful. Love Crom
  3. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I will get a flu and all symptoms of fibro gone! Perhaps
    it shuts something off? This happens to my mother as well.
    It is very strange. This last flu, I had a fever it was 103
    and I am wondering if the fever killed something off.

You will hear this also about pregnancy-symptoms often go
    away. I am enjoying being pain free right now!

Also, do people who get the flu shot have this happen?
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope it continues.

love
    Rosie
  5. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hope it stays gone forever.

enjoy your good feelings.

kendra
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't think getting the flu is the answer. I had it last year and it didn't get rid of my illnesses. I'm glad you are feeling so much better.

Love, Mikie
  7. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI, PEPPER, I HAD THAT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME ONE WINTER. I FIGURED IT OUT IT IS THE ANTIBIOTICS THAT TAKE AWAY THE INFLAMATION FOR AWHILE. I TALKED TO MY DR. ABOUT IT AND TOLD HIM ITS TOO BAD WE CAN'T TAKE ANTIBIOTICS ALL THE TIME. BUT OF COURSE ALL THE STUPID PAIN CAME BACK IN FULL FORCE. HUGS, VERTIE
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I got the flu shot in Nov. and I have been sick off/on with fatigue/flu ever since.

I've had some days where I feel pretty good but more often than not, I've felt really fatigued. My God son gave me the flu after a visit to my friends house on New Years's Eve and I have had extreme fatigue ever since. I was doing really well until flu season hit. Uhg, where can I move to in order to avoid the bug. Siberia, perhaps?? My chow chow would love it.

Maybe your immune system kicked in (in such a way) that your FM is in remission. I sure hope so. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

skierchik
  9. darude

darude New Member

I got the flu and my symptoms dissapeared. I'm thinking that because I have a positive ANA ( body attacking itself) the body is fighting the flu so stops attacking other stuff. Make sense ????????????????????????????????
  10. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Heaven Forbid we have to trade one disease for another!! And I'm not dumb enough to think that a bout with the flu or any other illness would be the 'cure-all' for Fibro!!

I just think it's really strange that I have been symptom-free of the flu and the fibro for several weeks now. I know not to count my chickens-this is more than likely a temporary thing.

But we all can hope for remissions every now and then, right?? And yes, I think the antibiotics and/or the fact that our bodies are fighting off something else has a great deal to do with it all. I'm not a scientist or MD, so I really don't have all of it down. They obviously don't either, do they??

I'm just stating a fact that's happening in MY life right now! Certainly didn't mean to imply that you should all go out and get the flu or any other bugs!! DUH!
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I didn't mean for that to be the message in my reply but reading it now, I can see that that is how it came across. I am happy for you, regardless of how this remission occured.

I went into a total, but transcient, remission following my facial surgery. The surgery itself really wasn't painful. At first, I thought it was because my system was tending to healing the scars that it "forgot" to cause me FMS pain. Then, I realized that it might be because I had to take Famvir to prevent a cold sore from contaminating the surgical sites on my face. I obviously had a stealth chronic viral infection, probably in the Herpes Family. The Famvir just forced the infection into remission.

Of course, when I stopped the Famvir, the infection took hold again. That was when I started on a course of pulsing the Famvir for another 1 1/2 years. I still keep an AV around in case I get run down but when I switched to Heparin and transfer factors, the need for routine use of the AV stopped.

Many here have had to take ABX and went into a remission while on them. They likely have a chronic bacterial infection. Lyme and/or mycoplasmas are common in those of us with these illnesses. In my case, it was a mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses full blown. It took 2 1/2 years on Doxycycline to get it under control. I know you know this but we do have a lot of new members.

Again, I'm sorry if my reply offended you.

Love, Mikie
  12. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Were you on antibiotics when you had the flu? I wasn't but
    the fibro symptoms are gone for me now. Lets hope it last
    for a long time.
  13. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Which I finished over a week ago.

The fibro started for me after I had a cervical (neck) fusion. The trauma from that surgery caused all the signs and symptoms to come on me, slowly at first, then full blown within 6 months' time after the surgery.

As far as I know, it didn't have anything to do with a viral or bacterial infection, but who ever really knows about these things?? Unless you happen to come across something-anti-bacterial, or anti-viral-that actually puts you into remission.

At any rate, hoping it lasts for a while! I have a procedure I have to have on my back next month, and I can pretty much count on THAT causing some problems, but who knows??? Don't want to predict that which may not be! PG
  14. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Thanks for posting this interesting thread, Peppergirl! May your symptoms be in remission for a long time to come (like forever).

Dreamharp asked: "Also, do people who get the flu shot have this happen?"

Getting the flu shot this year didn't help my symptoms... sad to say.

What did help ease my own fibro pain was when I developed a severe sore throat, sinus infection and cold several weeks ago. After being prescribed Zithromax (which worked very quickly), the major head-cold symptoms were gone in several days.

Unfortunately, the FMS pain came back once the head-cold (and Zithromax) departed. Oh well...

Hugs,

Janice
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so happy that you are feeling good!

I pray that it NEVER returns!!!!!

MamaR