Welcome from Iowa

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by linnie, Mar 21, 2002.

1. linnie

linnie New Member

Hi, Caregivers,
    I just wanted to say hello and to let each of you know that I truely respect and admire you. I am a nurse aide by profession, and I know what it is to be a caregiver. But, I have the easy part, I can leave and go home after eight hours. To all of you who cannot I just want you to know that I sympathize with all you must bear. I would do it in a second if it was my family member or loved one. I deal in all kinds of situations at work. I know what it is like to feel helpless when you watch a resident, a friend, or a loved one be in so much pain, or confusion. I held hands with residents as they left this world, and hoped I helped them cross over into the new world. I helped dress residents when they were suffering from alzheimers and they didn't know what I was doing. I wiped tears from residents eyes as they talked about losing their home and yet smiling as they shared their memories. Each day I learn something from one of my residents. They are so wise and have been through alot. I also watched families who come to visit their loved ones and the resident didn't recognize them. I can only imagine the hurt the family must of felt. I knew of a woman effected with alzheimers who slapped her daughter and cussed her out with such foul laungage. The daughter was so hurt, she was in tears. Not so much from the slap but seeing her mother like that. She said her mother had been a very religious woman before the alzheimers set in, and she would of given the shirt off her back to anyone who needed it. Oh! the grief the daughter had to of felt. But, it was not the womans fault either because it was the disease of alzheimers that effected her. I've laughed, and cried, felt joy, and endured sorrow and grief and I am only there for 8 hours. I am sorry for writing a book here, but, I just wanted to share how I felt and to tell you that I admire and respect you for giving so much of yourself when you may not even get a thank you in return. So, I am thanking you and giving you a pat on the back!
    God bless you all!
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

And I would like to Thank people like you..I was caring for my mother in my home, up until last year, she is now in a nursing home..Alzheimers is only one of her problems..I would love to have her back home with me, but at this point it is impossible to care for her 24/7 all by myself..Anyway I see how caring CNA's are, and what they have to put up with each day..My mother has a primary day CNA, & one for 3-11shift..They are a gift from God..They really seem to enjoy helping & working with my Mother and her needs..
  3. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Thank you for being you and to all the nurses out there, what would the world do with out people like yourself, you are the greatest help to caregivers, like break time, from reading your post, you enjoy what you do in your work, the patients must love you, I know they love to just see you walk in, and with the care you give daily, the familys appreciate you, and feel better to leave their loved ones in your care, knowing someone is with them who cares. keep up the good work, and keep us posted. good luck
  4. linnie

linnie New Member

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I love my job and I love helping people, I always said it was my "Calling". I have done nurse aide work over 35 years and still going. May God bless !