Well, even when we feel better, we don't

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GoDaleJr, Aug 20, 2002.

1. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

For those of you who don't know, I have only had Fibro for 6 months. After struggling for 5 months, I am finally med-free and coping. I completely changed my diet and exercise every day. The exercise has helped me get better sleep too, although I take Melatonin if I need it).
    I was doing fine for this whole month of August until a few days ago.
    And this is what I don't understand at all about this disability...no matter how "healthy" we are, we still get the flares of pain. And I use the word "healthy" in quotes because I know we are never completely pain-free, but some of us can get to a point of remission.
    I eat completely healthy foods, I exercise every day, drink plenty of bottled water, get fresh air and sun, sleep well, have eliminated my stress as much as possible, etc. etc. etc. and yet can still end up in a horrible flare of aches and pain!! I just don't get it.
    And I know my friends and family are just as flabbergasted. I'm fine one day, making plans for the weekend, and then the next thing they know, I never even show up cuz I am in too much pain to leave the house!
    I have the same routine every day so I can't think of anything that would cause this interruption.
    I am having horrible aches in my hips and lower back. Terribly uncomfortable getting to sleep, sitting, standing, walking, etc. Nothing releaves the pain.
    I'm seeing my Rheumie on Thursday. Hopefully he can give me some kind of idea why this pain is present. But tomorrow I am taking the trip down to see my Chiropractor. I'm sure I could use an adjustment. I hope this helps.
    Because after "maintaining" my health for weeks now, and thinking I am going to be ok enough to apply for some FT jobs, then this happens...it really throws my self-esteem for a loop. It really interrupts my positive thinking. I start to have self doubts. I have to stop this.
    ~Gina

2. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

For those of you who don't know, I have only had Fibro for 6 months. After struggling for 5 months, I am finally med-free and coping. I completely changed my diet and exercise every day. The exercise has helped me get better sleep too, although I take Melatonin if I need it).
    I was doing fine for this whole month of August until a few days ago.
    And this is what I don't understand at all about this disability...no matter how "healthy" we are, we still get the flares of pain. And I use the word "healthy" in quotes because I know we are never completely pain-free, but some of us can get to a point of remission.
    I eat completely healthy foods, I exercise every day, drink plenty of bottled water, get fresh air and sun, sleep well, have eliminated my stress as much as possible, etc. etc. etc. and yet can still end up in a horrible flare of aches and pain!! I just don't get it.
    And I know my friends and family are just as flabbergasted. I'm fine one day, making plans for the weekend, and then the next thing they know, I never even show up cuz I am in too much pain to leave the house!
    I have the same routine every day so I can't think of anything that would cause this interruption.
    I am having horrible aches in my hips and lower back. Terribly uncomfortable getting to sleep, sitting, standing, walking, etc. Nothing releaves the pain.
    I'm seeing my Rheumie on Thursday. Hopefully he can give me some kind of idea why this pain is present. But tomorrow I am taking the trip down to see my Chiropractor. I'm sure I could use an adjustment. I hope this helps.
    Because after "maintaining" my health for weeks now, and thinking I am going to be ok enough to apply for some FT jobs, then this happens...it really throws my self-esteem for a loop. It really interrupts my positive thinking. I start to have self doubts. I have to stop this.
    ~Gina

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Fibro is as tricky as anything you can imagine. I have had a year a few times in 20 years of remissions. Then boom, I was flat on my back with pain again.

For the longest time, my husband and I would 'try' and figure out what I did to cause the Flare up. Well I finally learned that at times it is nothing that you are doing, its just the way this illness goes.

Now stress is a big bad thing to get, that will bring on a Flare big time. Or lifting heavy objects, getting over tired, so on and so forth.

Don't let it throw you, when you feel it coming on, go rest, and I do mean rest! That is the best way I have found to wade off a full blown Flare.

Its not you, you sound like you are doing everything in your power to live a healthy life. So what could you change? Nothing, its not your fault!

You might want to up your magnesium intake when you feel something coming on, thats what I do. It does help.

HOpe you get to feeling better soon, its a tough illness to live and cope with to say the least.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

When I felt that sore throat thing coming on, I did rest a lot. That is usually the first sign of my flares. I thought that rest would help it go away. But then I developed the hip/low back aches real bad. I'm wondering if it is something else and not a flare cuz it is just getting worse. I rest during the afternoons as part of my daily routine. And I write on my calendar how I feel each day.
    Well, I will let you know if Chiro helps tomorrow evening. Then I see my Rhuemie on Thurs.

Oh, I found this brand of juice at the store and I want to share it with others:
    It is called "Langers" and they have different flavors, but I got the Cranberry Grape 100. It has vitamins A, C & E plus Grape Seed extract and Co-Enzyme Q-10 & Magnesium. It is 100% juice with no sweeteners added. No fat. No cholesterol. 100% Vitamin C. 10% Vitamins A, E and Magnesium. I am so glad I found this juice. You know how hard it is to find drinks that don't have added sugar and no high fructose corn syrup???? This one is good.