Well, I Did It!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam112361, Nov 1, 2005.

1. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

As per my earlier post regarding my pain medication, I contacted my doctor's office today and they actually had something open tomorrow morning at 9:15 (and nothing again until mid-November). Boy, am I glad I called today because my other pain med would have run out about that same time and I would have really been in a mess! Anyway, say a prayer for me. I'm going to ask about a change in meds if he's concerned about me taking the narcotic. If that's not his concern, then I think he needs to start talking because something is going to have to happen tomorrow or I may no longer have a PCP.

My biggest concern is how to tell my husband why I'm going. He doesn't know about the Darvocet (some things are best left unsaid) so I've got to think of something quick in regard to my other medications when he starts asking questions.

Thanks for everyone's help over the last couple of days. It's really given me the incentive and backbone to try to get something done. Let's just hope it works! I'll let you know tomorrow.

God Bless!
    Pam
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Glad you got the appointment, and that it is the only one and you got it seems to be pretty convincingly certain that you need to go. So, I'll pray you have a good, understanding, productive talk with you doc.

Take care!
    Sue
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

armed with lots of printed out information for your doctor. If not at least try to print the American
    Association of Pain Medicine info if you can and go to Partners Against Pain website for more info on pain
    control. An armed patient is some times not popular but is harder to
    fool also. OH, the AAPM site has accredited doctors on there who have
    passed the classes and exams.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2005]
  4. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

For me narcotic pain meds are the only thing that works. I take the time release oxycontin and it has given me a life. Im concerned that your not telling your hubby about your meds. I think someone needs to know what your taking in case of an emergency. I had a struggle when I first made the choice 5 years ago to take narcotic meds as my husband is an addict. He was in recovery but I was worried about having those type of meds in the house. What I did was buy a lock box and hide it. I didnt hide the fact of what I took but I kept the medication safely out of his reach. I also never took the med in front of him and we didnt have conversations about it so it wouldnt trigger him. We both felt though for safety reasons he needed to know what meds I was on.
    hugs, poodlemum
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Good luck, Pam, at your doctor's appointment!

Let us know the results!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Good for you! If dr. doesn't cooperate get another one.I am lucky to have aPCP who listens,cares and prescribes for me. I have been taking Percocet everyday for years;it helps me and I am not addicted. I take as prescribed and haven't had any problems.

Think over whatever your concerns about husband knowing and take your time deciding and get good advice.

Marie
  7. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Saying a prayer that everything w/ your PCP amd husband starts to get better SOON! I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time and I hope it's over for you soon!

Hugs,
    Jen
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I wanted to wish you luck today, I'll say a prayer for you! I notice you mentioned Darvocet....just wanted to pass along info I read about Darvocet a while back. Apparently it is one of the older pain meds, and many doctors no longer prescribe it, feeling newer narcotics are much more effective. In fact, I read in this same article that Darvon & Darvocet are the most overdosed-on pain meds out there as seen at Emergency rooms, primarily because users take another dose, then another, and so on because they aren't getting enough pain relief. And apparently it doesn't take much to cause an overdose...yet many people don't feel (enough) pain relief. I don't take pain meds regularly for FM, but I have certainly used them post-surgery, and I always ask for something OTHER than Darvon or Darvocet.

Now, if it works for you, I'm not knocking it! I know there are folks here who use it and seem to like it, and if it's working wonderfully, why change? I'm just saying that I know Darvocet also has a reputation for not being effective enough at even high doses. So, you just might want to discuss a lot options at your appointment.

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes!

((Hugs))
    Another Pam
  9. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Just wanted to update you on my doctor's appointment this morning. I let him know that the Darvocet worked when I took it; it made me feel normal and capable of doing my work. It was knowing that the next day wouldn't be so good because then I would be hurting and stressed because I knew if I took another pill, I'd pay for it at the end of the 60 days because I would already be out of meds. I told him that I had read a lot regarding meds that were prescribed for fibro and knew that there were alternatives that weren't "addictive." I also told him that since I worked in a medical setting, I understood his position on prescribing narcotics. He was very understanding and recommended that we go with Ultracet (1-2 per day) and use the Darvocet as a back-up. If this seems to work, great. If not, he'll refer me to a pain clinic. Once the pain clinic prescribes a stronger med, then he'll be free to prescribe as the pain clinic recommends.

Poodlemommy: As for not telling my husband about the pain meds, it's just something that I haven't discussed with him. I've not hidden them, they are in the drawer with everything else. There's just so many bottles, he wouldn't know what he was looking at if he saw it. Anyway, he's not a pill taker, he's a complainer. When I go to the doctor, I get to ask about his problems so he won't have to go. He's complained for years about the meds that I take. Believe me, it's not that I want to take them, it's a necessity. I have asthma and severe sinus problems also, so I have several meds that I take for that and with the surgery that I'm having soon, I hope that some of those meds can be cut out. My daughter knows about my pain meds and I feel that her knowing is sufficient. I will let him know when I feel he needs to know. Otherwise, ignorance is bliss (for me anyway!).

Thank you all for your support and I'll let you know how the Ultracet works for me.

God Bless you all!
    Pam
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm glad your doc agreed to the pain meds! and ... if they are not enough, at least he is willing to send you to a pain clinic!

Janet
  11. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

I was glad to hear your DR visit went well... He sounds like he listened and responded well to you! Please let him refer you to a pain clinic.

Some are awful, but you can always dump them and seek another. My 1st was terrible, my 2nd was amazing! And I'm so glad I bothered - the nurse practitioner was so compassionate I about cried.

And the doc talked to her, took one look at me, then took his lunch off to give me an unscheduled treatment! Normally he'd have made me come back. WOW!

And Poodlemum (I'm a poodle's mommy too!) I keep my meds in a lock box too - not because of dh, but I have kids....teen dd and 21 yr old ds. They have friends. Also have lots of little visitors.

You can't be too safe, you know?

A woman in my area using RX pain patches is in jail because her 4 yr old got ahold of a used one, stuck it on and died... how terribly sad!