Well, I did it...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, May 30, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I called the lawyer that my rheumy told me to call, yesterday, and I meet with him next week to see about filing for disability.

Calling that number was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long time. I'm afraid, but I also know that I didn't have a choice.

Luckily, the woman who took the information was very nice. She understood that I was afraid and said that most people are at first. She was very sweet.

My rheumy wanted me to have a lawyer right from the beginning because the "powers that be" don't always play fair and he knows that with the fibro, and the fibro fog, I could very easily forget something. I forgot my own phone number the last time I called his office. He's seen my brain go down hill, not to mention that he tells me when I walk in that I look like sh**... and that's with makeup on.

I just wanted to let you guys know.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I wish you all the best of luck in getting what you deserve!!

Keep us posted!

Dawn
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

having a lawyer is the best way to get help getting SSD. It is worth it and almost always turn in your favor.Dont be afraid, they are just people like us doing their job.

Suzette
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I really am scared though, and that's why I'm glad I'll have a lawyer working with me. I don't want to do something stupid to mess the whole thing up, and I DON'T want to lose my house. I've already mentioned that to the woman who I talk with on the phone, and she told me not to worry... I worry. I think worrying has been something that I've gotten really good at.

I just hope it's the right move. Eariler I went and got the mail for the office and had to go to another building to drop some things off there. Now, it wasn't a long walk, but it was nice. Then I came back here, sat at my desk for awhile and then when I went to stand up, I had horrible pain in my legs and feet.

Thanks for your support. I've always appreciated what you've all done for me, and I have a feel it's not even close to over yet.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

What are you afraid of? Why do you think you might lose your house?

It is good that you have a lawyer now and also a doctor you will support you in getting disability.

Lolalee
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tigger:

Congratulations. That is a big step. I remember making that call years ago and I knew a long battle would follow. It did, but I saw it through. Admitting I could not work any more was a real blow to my self esteem but then I just thought 'Who am I kidding? I can not work'.

nyrofan
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi tigger57, I want to congratulate you also on making that phone call to the lawyer. I took a step, scared along the way, then felt better after it was done. I posted here and received so much support, which made me feel even better.

I also filed for SSD last year, turned down once, now waiting to see what happens next. Hopefully, you will get it the first time without having to wait.

Prayers for you,

BlueSky555
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Thanks,
    All of your kind words keep me going.

Why am I afraid of losing my house? Because I'm afraid I won't have the money to be able to pay the mortgage. That is my biggest fear. It's not so much even about the house, but (and this might not make sense to some of you) I need to keep my fur-babies... 2 cats and 2 dogs.

My house is perfect (well, nothing is perfect), but it's one bedroom and has a decent yard. I put invisible fence in a few years ago and I really like it here.

Part of me is also afraid that I've really waited too long to appy (like I should have when the doctor first told me to last year). I'm just afraid of the "unkown" also.

Thank you all. I'm really depending on you to keep me going. You always have.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Good luck with this. I wish I was US citizen as I would file for sure when I am in my flares, but I am doing better right now. I am filing for citizenship this year (after 23 years living here, paying taxes etc. So well done.

Love Anne C
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Have you quit work already?

If not, consider a couple of suggestions, ok?

See if you can get your house pmts any lower, thru refinancing, whatever; maybe a loan from a family member.

Make sure you factor in taxes and insurance, as monthly payments.

Do you have a job description?
    If yes, start right now writing down why you can no longer do the things listed in it. List especially the cognitive things, don't forget them!

Get an area only for your upcoming records. Make copies of everything!! In fact, make two copies...SS will probably lose some of the stuff you send, and/or anything you send you need to send a copy to attorney, too.

Don't bug atty to death...if you get approved on first try, great, but if turned down, keep sending another piece of your records to them, or just appeal on general grounds (you don't feel all your different medical problems have been taken into account, etc.)

After second turn-down (if goes that far--with your dr., it might not), then call your attorney and set up an appt to ask what further you can do.

If SS wants to send you to their "shrink", make sure you have your own (referred by Rhuemy?) to tell SS you want him/her to do their exam.

Keep a log of everything, ok? It will help in the long run: DRs visits, dates, why visited, tests taken, results, meds, tried/side effects/discarded, etc., with dates.

I always say keep your supervisor in the loop, not that you're filing, but how the illness affects you..get their concurrence if at all possible, and ask them to put it in writing and in your file, and you appreciate their help and support.

Best of luck to you...1/2 the battle is the doctor...and it sounds like you have already won! YEAAAAAH!

findmind

11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

You`ve fought a long hard battle all alone and now its time for some help. You deserve this and need it. I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts and prayers that all goes well for you.

Best wishes,
    Sandy
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

So sorry that you are having to face this ordeal. I think a lot of us here may have to sooner or later. I hope you get it real soon. Good Luck with everything and let us know how it is going.

Kriket
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I hope that this will be th answer and take away the memory of all the hard times you've had,Praying for you.Linda
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

You have received some good suggestions here, especially the ones to make copies of everything and to document everything.

I would add:

- Any conversation you have over the phone regarding with doctor, lawyer or other - make a note of the date/time/name of person and what the conversation was about.

- Don't ever say that you are feeling OK or pretty good. You know how we tend to say that when someone says hi and asks how you are doing. Always answer questions with the way you feel on your worst day. With FMS and CFIDS you could be ok one moment and feel terrrible the next. People don't usually understand that. If you say you're ok, it may be misinterpreted.

Best of Luck,

Lola
  15. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Thanks for all the great advice.

As for the house payments... I'm pretty much stuck there. My only family member has pretty much abandonded me.

I usually keep a log of how I'm feeling each day or if something else happens. I use to fax things to my PCP because I knew this day would come.

I also ALWAYS keep a notebook just about every where, by the phone, in the car, in the kitchen, in my purse... I've learned that I can't rely on my brain any more.

Work is the tricky issue... I'm only working as a temp and part time right now, and it's killing me. Each individual thing on my job description I can do... all of them together is a totally different thing. I actually applied for this job full time, but I don't think I will get it.

So that means since last April (2005) I was out of work until October 31st. I've worked at 3 jobs since then. Two were temporary that were/are suppose to go to permanent. I would like this job if it is offered to me because it has good pay, and really good benefits and its alow stress office... but I'm having trouble working from 9-3, never mind 8:30 - 4:30. At this point I just have to see how it all plays out and see what the lawyer has to say.

If the lawyer is anything like the paralegal I spoke with on the phone... She was wonderful; so caring and understanding when I kept saying that I so afraid to make the call that I waited almost two weeks and that I'm afraid of losing the house, etc.

I will keep all of your advice.
    Thanks
    Tigger
  16. findmind

findmind New Member

Work until you're fired because of missing work, or unable to do tasks consistently!

You can do each task, yes; but the accumulation of them is what is hard, right?

SS says you must not be ABLE to do any gainful employment whatsoever, so applying for full-time jobs seems self-defeating to me.

In fact, I thought one had to be unable to work for at least six months before even applying for benefits (????)

Just trackin' what your doing, ok? Let me know what you think....

Hugs,
    findmind
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  17. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

But if I call in sick, I don't get paid. If I don't get paid, I can't afford a place to live or my medicines, or food, or dog food and cat food.

That theory won't work here.

The fact that I was out of work almost all of last year and that I'm now having difficulty with a part-time job might help.

No matter what, I have to look out for me and do what I feel is best.

Thank you for trying.
    Tigger
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm glad you made that phone call, too. I remember making a trip to the Soc. Sec. office to pick up the forms.

When you have the forms to complete, I'll give you some info that may help you. Just post to me so I'll see it. It's better to complete the forms at home where you can add additional pages rather than to do it over the telephone where you have to give real short answers.

Good luck!!!

Big Hugs,
    Janet