Well, I finally did something

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleF, Aug 20, 2002.

1. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

that was hard for me to do today. I talked to my new boss & explained that I've been ill since May, that I hadn't said anything before b/c I didn't want to jeopardize my position. (they wouldn't have fired me, but it would have been hard for me to prove that I wasn't put on the new schedule b/c of my health, since I'm only PT and they have to fill the FT faculty's schedules first).

She said what I've heard before, she knew what cfs was, but what was fibromyalgia? She was so supportive when I told her that while I'm able to work my normal schedule, I've been bombarded with requests to sub, and I felt that working more than 2 days was more than I could handle right now until my treatment starts to work. She said she felt very strongly that people's health came first, and she was glad I had come to her (as she put away her note that was going to ask me to sub tomorrow night...lol)

She approved the e-mail I sent out to all the faculty stating that I was unavailable to sub until further notice.

This has been troubling me, as I hate to tell people I can't do something. I also put off talking to my new boss b/c I was afraid of what would happen, when I would have saved myself a little worry if I had done this last week or sooner. Lesson learned...again.

Hope that lesson helps someone else. Thanks for reading. Michele
  2. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

that was hard for me to do today. I talked to my new boss & explained that I've been ill since May, that I hadn't said anything before b/c I didn't want to jeopardize my position. (they wouldn't have fired me, but it would have been hard for me to prove that I wasn't put on the new schedule b/c of my health, since I'm only PT and they have to fill the FT faculty's schedules first).

She said what I've heard before, she knew what cfs was, but what was fibromyalgia? She was so supportive when I told her that while I'm able to work my normal schedule, I've been bombarded with requests to sub, and I felt that working more than 2 days was more than I could handle right now until my treatment starts to work. She said she felt very strongly that people's health came first, and she was glad I had come to her (as she put away her note that was going to ask me to sub tomorrow night...lol)

She approved the e-mail I sent out to all the faculty stating that I was unavailable to sub until further notice.

This has been troubling me, as I hate to tell people I can't do something. I also put off talking to my new boss b/c I was afraid of what would happen, when I would have saved myself a little worry if I had done this last week or sooner. Lesson learned...again.

Hope that lesson helps someone else. Thanks for reading. Michele
  3. kitkat623

kitkat623 New Member

Sounds like a very tough choice for you. Good for you for taking care of your own needs. I'm sure that you are wonderful at what you do and will be missed, but I'm glad for you that you put your health first. I'm working on this one myself so your post has special meaning for me. Best wishes, Kathy

[ advertisement ]