Well I get to add another dxs to my list- scoliosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I went for my EMG today. Everything was going well, if you kie being poked with a needle and elececuted at the same time, lol.

Then he asked me to roll over so he go test my back, then he said "Oh my I didn't know the scoliosis was so bad" He had only seen me once and did not look at my back, EVEN THO I TOLD HIM MY BIGGEST PAIN WAS IN MY UPPER/MIDDLE BACK,

Any way I tested positive for tension on my spine, this is caused by the scoliosis. The only suggestion he could tell me the they have acheieved SOME success with chiropratic care.

I did ask him about the diagnostic tool that the chiropractor used at the grocery store and he agreed it was not a useful tool and it always shows something wrong.

Good news, no neuropathy in my arms and legs. Still no explaination for the numbess in my arms, except for the scoliosis and the way I sleep.

That was my day, now I get to go and play in the mud (drywall mud)- I hope everyone had a great day- Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  2. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Carla, you may want to read up on Ehlers Danlos. This is a symptom of it...and pain. Hope you feel better soon. Be careful playing with the mud...don't want to hurt the back any more than it already is.
    H
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you, I have never heard of it but I will check it out.

I was not born with it, I do have congential spinal stenosis, but you think after 50 years of Dr SOMEONE would have noticed this.

I have had this pain for at least 30 years. I remember sewing my daughters clothes when she was a child and the pain in the middle of back was just so bad.

I just live with it. I am a doer not a complainer, (well, most of the time, hehe). My neuro Dr today said to me "mudding was good for my fibro", not. He was kidding me.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going right now-Carla
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

Dear Carla,

Mild scoliosis is common. (I assume yours is mild (under 50 degrees). Above this is considered surgical.

I have lived with pain from scoliosis for all my life. Sometimes you will get these pinched spots. You are right that sometimes chiropractic care helps. Other times I have had to get physical therapy through a regular dr. The therapists know how to diagnose your specific problem, w hat muscles are involved, weak, tight, etc., and then give you just the right stretches and strengtheners to help that area to heal.

It is not an overnight cure; you have to faithfully do the exercises for as long as needed, usually 4-6 weeks, but it does help. Then you keep doing them afterwards on your own to keep it from reoccuring.

Deb
  5. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

i have the numbing in my feet and arms simply because i have FM all my teest have come back normal, i seem to have the numbing when i am in more pain, so maybe sweeling or something like that pushes on the nerves and causes the numbness
  6. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I also have mild scolios. It has never really made much difference to my quality of life. Iwas still able to run, play sport etc... altho I had more than the usual amounts of visits to an osteopath.

I have a good one now who keeps things in place.

I would definately recommend trying to find a good osteo. I didnt like chiropracters - I treid a few and they all made me worse - I ended up having to go once a week because my back would go out all the time.

Now, with my osteo, I go about once every 4 - 6 weeks on average.

Take care
    MIchelle
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

along with other structural problems, muscle problems and neuropathies. Prior to becoming ill, and further injury to my cervical spine/jaw, the scoliosis with joint hypermobility was problematic but I could still do a lot of things.

After developing ME (have been Dx with borreliosis/lyme too) they became a major problem. I found one good chiro and two good osteopaths years ago but their Tx did not last long. They would not treat me when there were indications of inflammation, since this was going on most of the time, it became fustrating for them as well as for myself.

After waiting decades I finally had some of my structural and neurological problems officially confirmed. Once my protocol started to have some effect I had to think about how I could strengthen my muscles and treat the scoliosis etc.

I weighed up odds ie the overall financial cost, risk of further injuries or just making matters worse again as some chiros and osteopaths had done, the Bowen technique, or using a pilates machine. My choice was also influenced by having a better understanding of what was going wrong.

I opted for a pilates machine since this seemed to offer the lowest level of risk and lowest cost overall.

This time I got it right, and you can see how it helped me if you read my post titled "I love my pilates machine".

TC Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I also have a mild scoliosis.
    The thing is,..is when my back apin gets really bad it pulls my spine alot to the right.

I've had x-rays done when my back was horribly in pain,..and I've had x-rays taken when I'm feeling better.

To compare the two sets is mind boggling!! My curve is soooo much worse when my back is "out' or spasms.
    I just started yesterday seeing an osteopath for spinal manipulation. (very gentle)
    I'll go to him every 3 weeks for awhile and see if things get better with my spine.
    I'll keep you all posted :)
    so far,...I have no increase or decrease in pain.
    (way to soon yet)
    Hugs
    Tandy
    I too get numbness and tingling in my arms/hands,feet and side of ankles.???
    different things bring it on.
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

I read your bio and saw you are a apartment manager. I was commercical office space manager, I'm sure you have had a few stories,lolo
    Carla
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I have many stories... LOL!
  11. ckball

ckball New Member

I bet you do, we will have to excjange them sometime.

I hope your need meds are helping you. I've kind of been hit and miss on the board lately. Carla