WELL, I saw my doc today about the MRI~~~~~~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 18, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

When he walked in the exam room, he asked me if I'd seen the results and I said I had. He said, "You can not work." The only way to consider working in the future would be if a neurosurgeon were to agree to do surgery and you may not want to take that risk with your health problems." He wrote me outta work and told me to use my short and long term disability that I'd been paying for since I was employed there 6 1/2 years ago. He wrote an Rx for the Lidoderm patches, Oxycontin and Oxy IR. He wants me to take the Oxycontin routinely twice daily and the Oxy IR every two hours as needed for breakthrough pain. He told me to call him every day and let him know how much of the prn Oxy IR I was having to take and that would tell him whether I needed the dose of the routine Oxycontin increased. He said he could increase it daily if needed. Can you believe this man???? My pharmacist said that it looked like my doc was planning to "stay on top of this pain" so that I had complete control. The doc said there was no reason for me to hurt like I have been and that I could expect to have all to almost all of my pain relieved if I took these meds, didn't work, had massages and continued my water therapy at the wellness pool. I nearly fell over. Needless to say, even if he gave his permission, I couldn't work as a nurse while taking these drugs, so I got my paperwork from the Human Resources Dept. and filled out my part and took the doc's pages straight to the office, so that my short-term disability could be applied for.
    I dreaded telling my husband because of the financial part of this problem, but, lo and behold, he came home early to see how I was and I just told him. He said he was just sorry for me and that we would do what we could without my salary. I cannot believe this......
    I went to my place of work and I told my co-workers. They thought I'd NEVER do this and they were shocked, but when they saw my MRI report, they said they were sorry that they hadn't understood just how much pain I was in.....did they think I was lying to them? Geez.
    Oh well, I'm home. Feels strange.
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

When he walked in the exam room, he asked me if I'd seen the results and I said I had. He said, "You can not work." The only way to consider working in the future would be if a neurosurgeon were to agree to do surgery and you may not want to take that risk with your health problems." He wrote me outta work and told me to use my short and long term disability that I'd been paying for since I was employed there 6 1/2 years ago. He wrote an Rx for the Lidoderm patches, Oxycontin and Oxy IR. He wants me to take the Oxycontin routinely twice daily and the Oxy IR every two hours as needed for breakthrough pain. He told me to call him every day and let him know how much of the prn Oxy IR I was having to take and that would tell him whether I needed the dose of the routine Oxycontin increased. He said he could increase it daily if needed. Can you believe this man???? My pharmacist said that it looked like my doc was planning to "stay on top of this pain" so that I had complete control. The doc said there was no reason for me to hurt like I have been and that I could expect to have all to almost all of my pain relieved if I took these meds, didn't work, had massages and continued my water therapy at the wellness pool. I nearly fell over. Needless to say, even if he gave his permission, I couldn't work as a nurse while taking these drugs, so I got my paperwork from the Human Resources Dept. and filled out my part and took the doc's pages straight to the office, so that my short-term disability could be applied for.
    I dreaded telling my husband because of the financial part of this problem, but, lo and behold, he came home early to see how I was and I just told him. He said he was just sorry for me and that we would do what we could without my salary. I cannot believe this......
    I went to my place of work and I told my co-workers. They thought I'd NEVER do this and they were shocked, but when they saw my MRI report, they said they were sorry that they hadn't understood just how much pain I was in.....did they think I was lying to them? Geez.
    Oh well, I'm home. Feels strange.
    Love,
    Kady
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...you are in so much pain, but so very glad you have a doctor who finally seems to understand the severity of it for you, and feels he can treat you successfully. Hopefully you will at least be more comfortable soon on this program. And it must feel bittersweet to have the decision about work made, but at least you can move on now, not having to work through fatigue & severe pain; instead of taking care of patients, you can take care of yourself now the way you should! I hope you are getting some relief from your new meds soon...

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am feeling SO much better already....I am even able to sit on this hard, ladder-back chair without screaming with pain. This is so great! I hope it lasts. I HATE to say this though........I am itching like crazy and I pray it's not because of the Oxy.......PLEASE don't let me be allergic to it! I have chronic angioedema and hives, though, so it may be just brought on by the stress of the day. Hope so!
    Much thanks for the encouragement~~~~love you guys!
    Kady
  5. kay

kay New Member

What a wonderful doctor!!! You are so lucky. I know how it is, going from 2 incomes to 1. I haven't been to a mall shopping in over a year except to get me a mattress warmer. I noticed you are from North Carolina. I am from Knoxville. How far are you from here? lINDA
  6. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Wow,
    I'm glad you have a great Dr. Kady. I am a nurse too, and a single Mom, and after the day, I had today, I read you're post and got so jealous, and really started feeling sorry for me. Not because you got what you needed,because you do so desevre it. I guess just because, I know I can never quit my job, and sometimes, my pain feels unbearabe. I hate feeling this bad at 41.
    I'm glad at least someone with this DD gets a break.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

My heart goes out to you! This is my second marriage and I was where you are ten years ago and I was the sickest I have ever been in my life. I needed my job and I had to pay bills. I never went to the doctor and my health suffered a great deal. I had no money to buy any meds if they were prescribed for me. When I got remarried, my husband knew it wouldn't be easy financially and he knew how sick I was. My kids are now grown and gone and I have been working at the same place for about 6 1/2 years and I have worked around all the local docs. They know I have worked while sick, more often than not, and I am fortunate that these guys believed me when I said I was in terrible pain. They know that I work my tail off and I rarely complain and I am thankful that this is so because I NEED to be heard, as do you. I read your post about your situation and I cried for you. First of all, this doc is a jerk....to treat you like he did was so very cruel and unprofessional. I am so sorry about everything you're having to deal with. I'd give anything if I could help you. I AM sorry.......
    With much love,
    Kady
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Can I ask what exactly the MRI report said that made it clear about your pain? I'm just curious because I have several disc bulges causing me problems but not sure what is considered bad enough for surgery or to qualify you for total disability.

I know how adjusting to one income is but you may be surprised at what you can do without when you have to.
    Good Luck!
  9. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

DEAR Holly~~~ 11/18/02 04:02 PM

My heart goes out to you! This is my second marriage and I was where you are ten years ago and I was the sickest I have ever been in my life. I needed my job and I had to pay bills. I never went to the doctor and my health suffered a great deal. I had no money to buy any meds if they were prescribed for me. When I got remarried, my husband knew it wouldn't be easy financially and he knew how sick I was. My kids are now grown and gone and I have been working at the same place for about 6 1/2 years and I have worked around all the local docs. They know I have worked while sick, more often than not, and I am fortunate that these guys believed me when I said I was in terrible pain. They know that I work my tail off and I rarely complain and I am thankful that this is so because I NEED to be heard, as do you. I read your post about your situation and I cried for you. First of all, this doc is a jerk....to treat you like he did was so very cruel and unprofessional. I am so sorry about everything you're having to deal with. I'd give anything if I could help you. I AM sorry.......
    With much love,
    Kady

Kady,
    We are playing message tag! I left a message for you on my message! LOL Duhhhhhhhhh. I just wanted to say that I feel like I was insensitive in my post to you, and I'm sorry. It really wasn't about you, it was about me, and the space, that I was in tonight. I very much appreciated your loving response though. That really touched me. I really needed it tonight. Thank You for hearing me, when I needed it. I am truly glad that you can do this for yourself now. I know that it isn't easy, in a lot of ways. Nurses are hard workers, and it is hard to give that up. You deserve, just like each and every one of us, to have pain relief, Dr's that believe and care. I'm glad you have found one. I know it won't be easy either, but you and your hubby will find ways to do it. I would love to E-Mail privately if you want. If you are interested....my addy is rf11hjf@aol.com
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    With Friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  10. dd

dd New Member

I am so glad for you that you have an understanding doctor. Hopefully soon you will be experiencing much less pain.

I know that it is hard to have to quit a job, especially one that you enjoy and have been working there for a while. I had to quit my job too because of severe pain and CFS. I just could not take it any longer. I worried too how we would make it on one income with 3 kids but somehow, GOD willing, we made things work and you will too.

Your hubby sounds like a wonderful and caring man.

Peace,

Debbie
  11. BonBons

BonBons New Member

That's so great that your doctor is so caring; it must be a big relief to you. Nothing, nothing is worth giving away your health for. And I also am sorry that you have such problems. Take good care...and you'll find a new you when the strangeness wears off. Lots of luck to you, peaceful days of breathing in fresh air and oxygen, and restful nights, too. Attacking that pain will be wonderful. BonBons
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

To achy-shaky, my MRI showed extensive spinal stenosis at L3-4 and L4-5 levels secondary to a combination of bulging discs and facet joint arthropathy. The degree of spinal stenosis is great, especially at the L4-5 level. Ironically, this is the very first time I had seen this particular doc in the group I've gone to for about 7 years. He is new and I was fed up with my regular one in this group, as he NEVER returned my calls. I think he has some guilt over making a couple of serious mistakes in my care which resulted in some permanent damage to my liver and kidneys. ANYWAY, this doc didn't need convincing at all, he knew I was in pain and he just took charge and knew what to do. I have really missed this, because this group has always kinda let me make the decisions and I needed help with this decision; I was tired of carrying the load. These are all Christian doctors and the group makes this very clear. They pray for their patients individually each a.m. and they pray with the patients if asked. This was important to me. I just think my usual doctor had become overworked and I hold no grudges against him~~I am just thankful this new doc came into the group because he truly empathizes with his patients.
    Holly, thank you for YOUR kind words~~I have your e-mail address and I WILL write. Sandy (hiriskrn) and I e-mail a lot. She's a nurse as well and I love her dearly!
    Debbie, my husband, Dave , is a wonderful man. He worries a lot about money as he and I went through a period of time about 8 years ago where we were both unemployed and in dire straits and even had our electricity turned off once and he has NEVER forgotten the humiliation of that. It terrifies him to think that it could happen again or that we could have a bad credit rating. We have REALLY pulled ourselves outta that pit after all these years; have NO credit cards and no debt except for the truck and house payment. We pay up front for everything....we have a precious, older cottage house which is perfect for us. We don't socialize with others and we spend ALL of our free time together. We eat at a little hole-in-the-wall restaraunt near us and that is the extent of our night-life OUTSIDE OF OUR HOME, that is! lol We adore one another and are very selfish with OUR time. The ONLY vacation spot we ever go to is Ocracoke Island in NC and it is heaven on earth to us....we are simple now and very happy together. Our four children are grown and all live about an hour's drive from us. We do not travel to see them much as they are very busy and we don't like to intrude, but we LOVE them dearly and adore our grandchildren. I am Mam-mama and he is GranDave! Such a joy!
    BonBons, I am planning on being able to keep my house straightened up and a little cleaner now that I hope to have pain control and I won't have to kill myself at work for at least 8 hours everyday. I plan to walk at the park. I plan to do the grocery shopping again as my husband has had to do it for the 10 years we've been married because of my fatigue and pain while working. I truly HOPE and PRAY I can make his life a little easier instead of making THIS situation an extra burden. I hope to visit my longterm care facility (where I worked) at least a couple of days a week and volunteer to just do a thing or two for an hour or so. I do NOT plan to lay around on my good days.....I HAVE to have a reason to get up or I'll just go into my depression and seclusion. I HAVE to fight this.
    I ask you all to pray that I can meet these goals, because I have allowed all of my self-worth be wrapped up in my nursing career and I HAVE to have worth outside that now or I'll just give up.
    Thank you for all your kind words~~I love you guys!
    Kady
  13. teach6

teach6 New Member

Wow! What a lot to process in one day. It sounds like you have good support and will do just fine. The money things will work themselves out, especially since you and your hubby are already practicing such good financial planning.

I know how hard it is to come to grips with not being able to work. Teaching was my lifelong profession. I also feel it was my calling. However I have learned there are many ways to teach besides in the classroom with 25-35 11 and 12 year olds whose hormones are raging!

The first thing you really should do is give yourself permission to rest and heal some. You do not have to jump from working directly into becoming Homemaker of the Year! Take some time to take care of yourself and get better. I know my pain is always worse when I am trying to do too much.

Good luck with your STD and LTD. Mine has been a lifesaver. I am single and really don't know how I would have made it without it. I'm just glad I didn't have to find out.

My daughter is in school in NC and I love it down there. It's so beautiful. I haven't driven there since becoming so ill a year ago, but I hope to be able to do so before the school year ends. She's at Elon.

Take care.

Barbara

14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Thank you so much for the reply to the post! I used to teach high school English~~not for long, though. When my first husband and I divorced, I went back to nursing as he was a high school teacher as well...and so was his girlfriend, but that's another story! I live close to Elon and my first husband's aunt and uncle live there so we visited often! Elon is a wonderful community! I am in Elkin, NC, which is in the foothills and I raised my children in Ashe County, in the mountains, which is in the farthest northwestern tip of NC.
    I'll keep your advice in mind....I do my best planning at night like this, but the morning is another story, altogether!!! It just feels so good to be free of pain this evening. I don't know when I've been able to say that!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  15. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

and it sounds very similar to mine but I have stenosis in both lumbar and cervical area, however its not to the severe point and hope it never gets there. I don't think I have the facet joint arthropathy, not sure what that is. I'm so happy for you to find such a wonderful doctor to do what should be done to get you the disability.
    You are a great example for us to have hope and hang in there!
    Bless you.
  16. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Kady -

That just sums it up. God does for us that which we can't do for ourselves. God has a habit of going out in front and handling the details as long as we just trust Him.

Praise Him!!!

I'm so glad to hear that your decision wasn't a struggle for you and that the doctor was willing to take charge
    and help you.

Somehow I don't have ANY doubt from reading your posts, that you will find some good things to "keep you busy" and active in other's lives. So much good advice above from others, that I'll just say DITTO! Who knows, you may become an E-Bay Queen, making a good living selling used books or other good stuff on-line.

Anyway, please do enjoy just relaxing for the time being,
    letting the world stop spinning, process some, cry some, laugh some, eat some, pray some, sleep some (I mean sleep lots) . . . . And most importantly, Just Rest In The Lord. He ABSOLUTELY has a plan for your life, especially now.

I have just been layed off from my job of 15 months, with November 30th being my last day. I haven't had a single moment to fret. Here's why. God has absolutely shown himself to be devoted and true to my heart. I have had 3 job offers in just 2 weeks!!! Never has this happened before. I've accepted 2 of them, both P.T. and will likely begin one of them on Dec. 1st. Imagine that! I didn't have time to doubt or worry. Mind you I did do a lot of praying, but am still spinning at the outcome.

Well Kady, have a nice night's rest.
    Warm Hugs, ................ Jill
  17. dlizard

dlizard New Member

God puts people in your life for reasons and it sounds like you have had just such an experience... :) good luck sweetie! I'm likewise a fellow "retired" RN... I said if I can't GET medical care... I ain't givin it! so now that I'm back to more* normal again, I'm doing flowers and lovin life !!!! Good luck dear!
  18. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Sounds like you got yourself a good doc and a wonderful understanding husband. You are truly blessed....
    I'ts good that you wont have to knock yourself out everyday
    and be in pain. Now you can relax and just take care of yourself......

LOVE,
    HOB
  19. epicurean

epicurean New Member

so glad to hear that your happy with your Dr.,we all know how important that is!!!
    know you loved your work,but some things are more important,enjoy your r and r.but mostly just think how much you and your hubby have to look forward to together-my hubby works full time,but we so enjoy our time together,our children are near,(thank God).but we so enjoy our time together after all these years of hard work we deserve it,as you will soon find out.
    best to you and hubby,you deserve it!!!
  20. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I'm so happy for you. I am like you I had to quit my job of 22 years. It was the saddest, hardest thing to do in my life. I also was who I was because of my job, and I have no family, so it is hard. It is true that you never get over it, but the pain lessens. I still work there almost every night in my dreams! It's getting boring, lol.
    I never get paid.
    The pain from my Fibro is way better now that I don't work, so you will be glad of that. Take care of yourself and rest for awhile. Hugs, N