Well, it finally happened. Knew it was only a matter of time.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I was admitted to the hospital through the ER on Saturday to a surgical floor because the doctor there thought I may have a problem with my appendix. Sunday, the nurse practitioner told me that my pain was not impressive. Huh? Monday, I asked her what she meant. I wasn't doubled over in pain and could move okay. I think your pain is Fibromyalgia. Yes, usually lower right quadrant stomach pain is Fibro. Geez. I started crying and she said she was sorry she upset me - she would step out and come back. I told her not to bother. She said, no, she would come back. I told her that I mean, NO, I wanted her to leave and not come back but that I was trying to be nice the first time.

After I was admitted, they did absolutely no tests. I talked to a hospital administrator and told her that I had my first serious car accident when my son was five and I had 5-6 surgeries and that smiling and talking while in pain were second nature to me. She was very nice and said she was stoic too. She had already talked to the nurse in charge who was upset about how the doctors were treating me and they decided that they would have a meeting with all the hospitalists and talk about treating people with chronic pain - they were also going to talk about an apparent problem with my meds. I only knew that the doctor changed a couple of them but apparently the nurses thought it was wrong for the doctors to do that. They said that if my medical doctor (who is good) prescribed them then who were the hospitalists to change them for no reason. I made a mistake and went to a hospital where my doctor no longer comes. I wasn't thinking straight and had no idea I would be there for two nights.

I told her that people with Fibromyalgia know that they have a poor health care practitioner when after just one day they can't figure out what is wrong and then blame it on the Fibro.

Luckily, I had an appointment with my OB/GYN and she is doing some surgery later this month - D & C and then exploratory surgery. She agreed that Fibro is a catch all for many doctors. Luckily, she wasn't one of them.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know mine is not appendix pain bc I have had it for almost 3 yrs & if it were it would have exploded by now, but it has become increasingly worse and my stupid dr insists it's just fibro and hasn't done any tests to find out if it might actually be something else....I am not excessively worried, bc if it were something really serious (like cancer) I would think that by now there would be other evidence of it...of course there could be other evidence that is also being written off as fibro!).....I am going to a new Dr in the end of May....hopefully he will be better and will run some tests....keep me posted as to what yours turns out to be
  3. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I know exactly how you feel. I was admitted to the hospital last year with stomach pain so bad that I was throwing up. One of the doctors came in and said " well with you having migraines and fibromyalgia, you just have a low tolerance to pain" I was soooo mad. When my gastro dr came back in that day I told him what his "partner" said and he said yeah we do tend to have a lower tolerence to pain. My husband spoke up and said I think throwing up because you are hurting is pretty severe pain, then my doctor looked at me and said yes that is pretty severe to make you throw up. Of course they never found anything and it was just contributed to fibro. :-(
  4. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I didn't know right lower quadrant abdominal pain could be attributed to my fibro - but then again, I never asked.

I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago. The pain started in my right upper back, my right rib cage. It then progressed to my right lower quadrant and through to my right lower back. It then progressed to my right jaw/ear/face. Of course, once in a while the pain transfers to the left, but for the most part, it is ALWAYS most severe on the right.

Then I also have the usual whole body aches, GI problems, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivity, brain fog, etc.

But once again - thanks for mentioning the right lower quadrant pain.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

2 weeks of severe pain, throwing up 24/7 severe headaches, heart palps. went to 4 or 5 er's they didn't do ANYTHING! not even rehydrate me. needless to say the last er i went to, the finally put me in for 2 days, rehydrated me & sent me home with ativan.
    3 months later i was 45lbs lighter, and they Still didnt think it was severe.........all they focused on was the fact i had fibro & fibro= Nuts.
    i honestly don't know what it's gonna take
  6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Once fibro is mentioned in ER, you're not taken seriously by nurses or doctors and this is so very unfair. I have numerous family that work in medical field. One works in a ER hospital and was truthful telling me this. i guess if all possible, wait to see your own doc and stay away from ER if you possibly can. I was totally shocked to hear this, but at least now i know. Maybe this isn't everywhere but it is in my location. If only the medical field could be more knowledgeable of fibromyalgia .

7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I've been told since I was a small child that I had a very HIGH pain tolerance. For example, my doc told my Mom that if she complains of a sore throat, it's probably really bad by then. Honestly, I think I could look at you and smile and talk while you amputated my toe.

It's a catch 22 I guess. If you don't tell them you have Fibro, they are gonna wonder what all those meds are for.

There's just no way I would go back to that hospital for anything but outpatient surgery. I would never be admitted there. I am still upset and I won't let it go - I'm going to talk to the hospital administrators to follow up to see if they really did what they said they would. I'm also going to file a formal complaint against the doctor and nurse practitioner.
  8. spacee

spacee Member

They should know about it. And no one will know unless patients tell them

Bless you,

9. daylight

daylight New Member

It really urks me that Fm is blamed for everything under the sun when the doctors don't have an
    answer for you problems. I have sharp right side pain caused by a calcium build up on my lower rib . For year I was told it was nothing just FM until the they finally did and untra sound and found the build up . Of course nothing else was done to figure on why this happened .

You just stick to you guns. Not everything is FM .
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

good for you for following up!

Also, re: low pain tolerance......people tend to get confused, but there is a difference between pain threshold and pain tolerance.........with Fibro, we all have a low threshold for pain (in other words, things that should not be painful or should only be mildly painful feel really bad to us), but many of us have a high pain tolerance (in other words we can put up with being in a lot of more pain than other people can)