Well, It's About Time! Song Game

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jun 30, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Here we go. Judy and her hubby suggested a song game about "Time", such as: Yesterday, tomorrow, today, watches, clocks.

Also thought maybe we'd add seconds, minutes, hours, weeks, days of the week, months, years, etc.

Maybe we could add, forever, ever, never, someday, and eternally. (Anyone have any more ideas to add?)

A few to start:

"September Song" For it's a long, long, time from May to December, but the days grow short when you reach September....

"Time on my Hands"

"Strolling in the Park One Day" in the merry month of May.....

"Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down" The Carpenters
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

And a good suggestion it is. Today, Tomorrow and Yesterdays are all songs.

"Today" was written by Randy Sparks, the founder of the New Christy Minstrels.

"Tomorrow" is from "Annie". "Yesterdays" is from the musical and movie "Roberta",
    a show that included another big hit. "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes".

And from one of the classic westerns, the title tune: High Noon.
    (Sung by Tex Ritter, John's father.)

Adios, Pards
    Rock
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Rock, Good ones! There must be a zillion of these. When we finish these threads we will have posted almost every song ever written. :) Of the ones you posted, Yesterday is my favorite. GB
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi everybody!

I've taken my "time" thinking about this thread. Now, here goes................

Time Is On My Side, The Rolling Stones, 1964

"...Time is on my side, yes it is
    Time is on my side, yes it is
    Now you always say
    That you want to be free
    But you'll come running back
    You'll come running back
    You'll come running back to me..."

Time In A Bottle, Jim Croce, 1973

"...If I could save time in a bottle
    The first thing that I'd like to do
    Is to save every day till eternity passes away
    Just to spend them with you..."

Clocks, Coldplay, 2002

"...Confusion never stops
    Closing walls and ticking clocks
    Gonna come back and take you home
    I could not stop that you now know..."

Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley & His Comets, 1955

"... We're gonna rock around the clock tonight,
    We're gonna rock, rock, rock, 'till broad daylight,
    We're gonna rock, we're gonna rock around the clock tonight..."

If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher, 1999

"... If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    If I could reach the stars
    I'd give them all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me
    Like you used to do..."

That's all for now, folks! Another great thread, GB! And yes, LOL, I wonder just how many songs/lyrics/videos we've posted in these threads! :)

Diane :D
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Diane et al,

I love all these songs but especially Rock Around the Clock, which was the era when I was a teen. That was REAL Rock and Roll or the original :)!! These were so much fun !!

Thanks to everyone,
    Granni
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Monday, Monday...

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Yes, Granni. The rock and roll of the 50s was the original, and we were the coolest
    generation. The first to dance (and skate) to it. I don't even know why the Beatles
    were called rock and rollers. I always thought most of what they wrote and performed
    was pop music.

GB, I read that the band's producer was worried about "Yesterday" because it sounded
    too much like a pop tune. Also read, decades ago, that the song had been recorded by 900
    different singers, groups, etc. I found that very hard to believe. Now I read it has been
    recorded by over 2500 artists! BTW, the alternate title is "Scrambled Eggs".

And although it is credited to Lennon-McCartney, John always said Paul wrote it. Paul
    said the song came to him in a dream. He talked to various people in the music business
    about the song. He kinda thought he might of "borrowed" it from an earlier tune.
    To avoid plagiarism, he referred to the song as 'Scrambled Eggs'.

Sometimes when listening to a classic rock number from the 50's, I do a
    few dance steps. Still using the same steps I learned in the gym from the
    beautiful and talented Ann K. who was one year behind me and could sing like
    Kathryn Grayson. Wonder where she is now.

Rock

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just another manic Monday; wish it were Sunday.

Love, Mikie
  9. Darrae

Darrae Member

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone (Any time she goes away)

My favorite movie theme song from Somewhere In Time---which is actually Rachmaninov's Opus in D Minor.

10. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Dar, That's one of my all time favorite movies. I love Jane Seymour and loved Chris Reeve. That was such a beautiful, romantic story and the music is wonderful.

Rachmaninoff is my favorite composer so that's probably why I loved it all so much. I've listened to a recording of his Piano Concerto #2 at least 1,000 times. I had a 78 rpm record of it when I was a teen and found the same one on Ebay a few years ago. It has Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra and Eugene Istomin on the piano. Fantastic listening. This brings back so many memories! GB
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  11. Darrae

Darrae Member

GB, Glad you liked it. I fell in love with that movie. I used to listen to the music every Sunday morning as I made our "traditional" Sunday morning breakfast when my older 3 kids were teens. I just looked back and realized I spelled Rachmaninoff's name wrong. Derps! I should know better!

I'm a huge fan of classical music as well. My favorite thing, though, is baroque chamber music. That, and James Galway's beautiful flute and Julian Bream's lute music. So lovely and peaceful. I miss those mornings when I had the energy to cook huge "Country Breakfasts" for my family. Se' la' vie.

If you've never heard Julian Bream, here's my favorite. I love his rendition of Greensleeves.

I am also a huge Enya fan. Celtic music is in my soul! :)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

Wow - great selection of songs. Have just enjoyed the videos that Diane and Dar put up. Especially,'Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone, "Old Time Rock N' Roll" - Bob Seger; " Rock Around The Clock, and The Stones.

So much fun to hear those early ones - brings back good feelings and memories.

Here's another one by The Stones:
    "This could be the Last Time
    Well I told you once and I told you twice,
    You never listen to my advice....."
  13. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Beautiful music ladies! Classical piano has always been my favorite. I always wanted to play piano but just didn't have the patience to stick with it when I had the chance. My grandmother tried to teach me but I couldn't sit still! :) GB
  14. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Dar, I wouldn't worry about misspelling any Russian name. They have a different
    alaphabet. It's cyrillic which I read is pronounced sah-ril-ic. The Library of Congress
    catalog lists 41 ways to spell Tchaikovsky including:

• Tsjaikovsky, Peter Iljitsj
    • Czajkowski, Piotr
    • Chaikovsky, P. I.
    • Csajkovszkij, Pjotr Iljics
    • Tsjai╠łkovskiej, Pjotr Iljietsj

Over the years many people have asked me if I was named after Rachmaninoff.* The
    answer is no. I was named after a Norwegian football coach whose movie bio came out
    the year I was born.

BTW, when Carnegie Hall opened in 1891 the conductor was Tchaikovsky.

*just kiddin'. I really don't recall ever having conversation in which Rachmaninoff was
    mentioned.

As for time songs, "September in the Rain" was a big hit for James Melton, a popular radio
    and opera singer. I have a CD of Melton with the same title.

And Mario Lanza sang "Summertime in Hidelberg" in "The Student Prince" movie.

Oops! Time to go. Rock
  15. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Rock, Speaking of Rachmaninoff, I once had a Siamese fighting fish (betta fish) that I named Rachmaninoff. I called him "Rocky", get it? Fighting fish. :)

Were you speaking of the football coach Knute Rockne? (Hope I spelled that right.) I've heard of him.

I've been watching a lot of old movies lately on TMC. I saw 2 Mario Lanza's last week. Also, "Maytime" with Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald. Really an old one.

A few weeks ago the story of Sigmund Romberg was on. I really enjoyed that one. Jose Ferre and Rosemary Clooney (his real life wife) were in it. She just had a small part. I wondered if that's where they met. GB
  16. gb66

gb66 Active Member

More Songs:

"The 12th of Never" recorded by Johnny Mathis

"If Ever I Would Leave You", recorded by Robert Goulet

"I'll Never Fall in Love Again", recorded by Karen Carpenter

"I'll be Loving You, Always", written by Irving Berlin in 1925

"Forever Darling", a song from the movie "Forever Darling" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

"Anytime", written in 1921, most popular recording, Eddy Arnold

"The Days of Wine and Roses", From the 1962 movie. Song written by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer.

"Night and Day", written by Cole Porter
  17. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Granni, My sister and I used to 'dance' to Rock Around the Clock. The movie Blackboard Jungle had just come out and they featured that song. We were trying to learn to dance Rock and Roll. :)

She was deaf but could feel the vibrations when we turned the music up loud. It was 1955, I was 15 and she was 14. Great memories. GB
  18. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Diane, I like "If I Could Save Time in a Bottle". Wish I had a cd/dvd of it.

Dar. The "Old Time Rock and Roll" made me laugh. It made me think of an episode of the Nanny where the butler, Niles (Daniel Day), did a spoof of Tom Cruise singing that song from the movie Risky Business.

You mentioned Celtic music, are you Irish? So am I. Looked up my ancestors recently and traced my mother's lineage (her father) back to Donegal, Ireland. GB
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  19. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi everybody! I enjoyed reading through this thread and listening to the songs!

I thought of more to add:

Time of My Life, from the movie Dirty Dancing, 1987
    sung by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

"... Now I've had the time of my life
    No I never felt like this before
    Yes I swear it's the truth
    and I owe it all to you ..."

I loved the movie, and I love the song.

Forever Young, Rod Stewart, 1988

"... But whatever road you choose
    I'm right behind you, win or lose
    Forever Young, Forever Young ..."

Eternal Flame, The Bangles, 1989

"... Close your eyes, give me your hand, darlin'
    Do you feel my heart beating
    Do you understand
    Do you feel the same
    Am I only dreaming
    Is this burning an eternal flame ..."

That's all I have for now. I fear that I'm trapped in the 80's though!!!! HELP! LOL

Diane :cool:
  20. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all,

Rock, I remember watching a docu-movie about Knute Rockne. Great guy to be named after. Mario Lanza had a voice that just went on forever. I used to listen to old 78's my mom had. She was a Mario fan.

Windblade, I'm a Stones fan too! Great music memories.

GB, Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald....that brings to my mind Indian Love Call. So beautiful. Yes, I am Irish. I've traced the lineage on my mother's side. Both her mother and her father.

On her father's side we go back to Ireland Circa 1300's to Thomas Staught and Sarah Moon of Dorset, England, I could find nothing further on the family before them as they were the first to emigrate to England from Ireland. By the 15oo's the Stouts (The name underwent a change in spelling but the lineage is correct), of Nottinghamshire, Nottingham England, Richard Stout, (Son of Johnathan), my 10th Great grandfather came to Middleton, Monmouth, New Jersey where Richard married Penelope Kent-Van Princes Stout, (Her first husband, Kent was killed off Sandy Hook when their ship went down there). She was the daughter of Baron Van Princes of Amsterdam. She and Richard began the first Baptist church in this country in their living room. There have been many books written about Penelope Kent-Van Princes Stout. She is believed to have been the first white woman to set foot on American soil. Google her or Richard's name and all sorts of info. comes up. I still have a cousin, Richard Stout today one town over. We were very close and played a lot together as kids. The names Johnathan and Richard repeat over and over in the family tree. My Grandfather's name was Johnathan Stout.

On her mother's side in 1388 the family started out in Switzerland living on Lake Zug and the name was then spelled Seager, (meaning person living by or owning a lake), a branch of this family went to Germany, (the Von Seegers), in Tyrol, then, (The spelling of the name changed again), Burk Sager, 1402, who was Councillor of Berne, and another Von Seeger who was some sort of high "mucky muck", in Bavaria, Germany, then to the U.S. in Pennsylvania and some to Ohio, (The spelling was then kept Sager) Some went on to Oregon and some to Unionville, Missiouri. The faction that went to Oregon had a movie made about them. "Seven Alone". The story of Henry and Naomi Sager's trek to Oregon with their seven children. I have found Naomi in the family history but have yet to make the full connection to myself. My mother told me of the wagon train to Oregon and the Whitman Massacre and our family's involvement when I was young. I'm still researching that side. I have one "gap" not connected as yet.

Cool choices confused! Loved Dirty Dancing. Patrick Swayze was one of a kind and sorely missed.

Have fun folks!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014