Well more proof that Simple Living is not necessarily cheap

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SweetT, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Remember that Soymilk Maker? Well, couldn't fine-tune the taste, after several batches (and several recipes), to get the milk to taste palatable enough. My kids didn't like it. And I didn't like it myself.

Also, it is a fibro/CFIDS nightmare for someone who also works full-time outside of the home. Every night I'd have to make a batch (you only get 1 liter per batch), which meant cleaning the machine and measuring and soaking a fresh cup of beans for the next day. I'd literally be in my bed, about to relax, knowing that dinner is over and my clothes are already ironed (because I iron them for the week on Sundays), then I'd remember, "gosh, I have to make the milk!"

So if no one likes it, and it takes more time than it's worth, it's not simple living :) Back to paying $3 per half gallon which is $12 to $15 per week in my household, because my children love milk as a beverage and with cereal (which they eat for snacks)and our bodies absolutely cannot tolerate drinking cow's milk. I even tried the organic stuff and it still messed us up.

Yes, I know that soy might not be so hot either, but almond milk (which my kids hate) is $2.50 for just a quart. It's cheaper to pay $3 for a half-gallon (sometimes $2.50 when you catch it on sale).

So, the lesson in this is that simple living means paying more if it simplifies your life.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2007]
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Don't know if you can have nuts, but Stormyskye has a recipe for nut milk somewhere and it is cheap and easy to make.

I did it once with hazelnuts by grinding them up in coffee bean grinder and adding distilled water to it ... I liked the hazelnut, but I didn't like the cashew milk I tried to make the same way ...

I even left the nut meat in it ... ready made hazelnut milk is very expensive too ...

3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I'll do a search.
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I jsut had to find this once I remembered it ...

All-Natural Almond Milk

1 1/2 cups of raw almonds, soaked in water overnight
    4 cups of filtered or spring water
    3-5 dates (optional)

Blend 1 ½ cups of raw almonds that have been soaked overnight in 4 cups of water. Blend with dates if you like your milk with a hint of sweetness. Strain once to remove almond granules. The result is a delicious, creamy milk that is free of harmful vegetable oil, concentrated sweeteners, and the problems associated with cow’s milk and soy. It can be stored safely for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.

Plain Rice Milk

A good way to make rice milk is to use fresh rice that is still hot.

* 1 cup rice, brown is okay, short grain is best.
    * 4 cups hot water- cold water and cold rice won't work.
    * 1 tsp vanilla

Put all in blender, puree for about 5 minutes (until smooth) let sit for 30 minutes or longer, then without shaking pour into container being careful not to let the sediments at the bottom pour into the new container. Alternatively, if you are in a hurry strain through cheesecloth.

To complicate things and get a smoother milk, re-cook the rice with part of the water until it's very soft. Add salt and sweetners, soaked, blanched almonds or nuts and flavorings. Then run it through a blender, food processor, or juicer.

Oat Milk

* 4 cups (cold) water
    * 1 ripe banana
    * 2 cups cooked oatmeal
    * 1 tsp. vanilla
    * Pinch of salt (opt.)
    * 1 tsp vanilla (opt.)
    * Sweetener to taste (if desired)

Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Refrigerate. Shake before using.

Pretty cool, huh ?? xchoc
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Thanks again, xchoc

wonder if blending the almonds with bananas and purified water would be good to my daughters.
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Hi SweetT, how about goat's milk?

7. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yes, I used to blend my own almond and banana shake. Just what you're going to drink, obviously anything with banana won't last long, it might last a few hours in the fridge but I always drank it all. It was too yummy to save.

I use about 1/4-1/2 cup almonds, depending on how hungry I was, just a little water in the blender to cover the almonds, blend until creamy, add banana and blend again. Really yummy and filling.

Then I developed a fool intolerance problem with almonds and just about every other yummy thing I had discovered. Oh well, those are the breaks with cfs!