Well, THIS is weird!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Maybe it was the weather, or the place. Maybe it was because of the "Hakuna Matata" syndrome. All I know is that when I went to Kauai from Alaska, my pain level was WAY down. I actually had energy to spare and looked forward to each new day. Mother of Pearl, I even went on a snorkeling trip! What WAS it about this place? Or was it me? A change in attitude, a change in location?

I have tried to simulate that feeling back home, but we're dead in winter now (in Alaska, that happens early and stays late) and even though I try and do as much as possible, it just isn't the same. I can't just up and move to Kauai (oh, but I would LOVE to!) but it is just so mind blowing to me how everything changed so suddenly. I have to explore this one. Any theories?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the weather makes a HUGE difference for many of us, so I woudl imagine that that's why you did so much better on your trip

I know that a few degrees can effect me, and that a couple of yrs ago when I was still (barely) well enough to travel, I went from IL to Fl in the winter and felt way better while I was there, much worse when I returned

of course, traveling itself also can take a lot out of us, so part of the reason that you are doing worse rt now may just be the after effects of traveling, too
  3. lisadot

lisadot New Member

I think it's because you went to a tropical location which is just gorgeous, warm, and smells heavenly. Not that Alaska isn't gorgeous as well, but it's cold, and that hurts when you have fibro. Plus warm water is soothing, as well as looking at fish =)

I always feel better on vacations. The stressors are way reduced, unless a stupid airlines leaves you stranded or you have to be strip searched by TSA...
  4. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I live in a high desert where there is rarely rain and the temperatures tend to go from one extreme to the other, especially in the spring and fall.
    Our son lived in the upcountry of Maui. When we went to visit him, my husband and I felt wonderful, almost pain-free. My personal opinion is that the island is easy on the body (and mind). I think gentle is a word that comes to mind when I think of Maui. Gentle rain, gentle sun (compared to the desert), gentle wind, gentle 80 degree ocean temps and gentle, moist air to breathe. Combine those with the incredible beauty everywhere and you have a formula to help make anyone feel so much better. I dream about being able to live there.
  5. jole

jole Member

What a wonderful adventure..so happy you got to go. I live in Kansas, and absolutely hate winter, rarely leave my house due to pain/fatigue, etc. A few years ago our son/wife took us on vacation with them to Florida. I worried about being able to go, and they rented a scooter for me. We got there and I used the scooter the first day due to being so tired from the trip.

After that first day we went to the beach, relaxed in the sun, walked an hour along the shore bending over constantly picking up seashells, etc. and stayed up late at night...no naps. It was totally amazing how much better I felt! I've heard many times before that the water has healing powers, and after that trip, I'm convinced.........plus I didn't have to worry about cooking...lol.....(I literally cried when we had to come back home, and yes, it was just as bad here as I remembered.) .....Jole
  6. coolma

coolma New Member

cold weather is REALLY bad for fibro. It can cause flares, additional pain, headaches...you name it. The best is no severities of any kind....the severe high heat can also affect it. Barometric pressure changes in the atmosphere can trigger it badly also. cold wind can set off a flare too. Changes in temperatures, especially in winter. Changes of seasons can cause flares that are very painful because the atmospheric pressures are changing. This is well known in fibro documentation but NOT that well known by treating doctors. There is yet alot to be learned by the effect of weather on fibro. But it's REAL. I speak from 15 years of experience. And I live in Canada. Heaven help us!!!!
  7. roge

roge Member

cold is a killer for fibro as it tightens are already tight muscles. i am in canada and im better in spring and summer when it is warm and fall and winter are worse.
    i think fall and winter are worse too as i believe some with fibro have immune system dsyfunction (perhaps they have me/cfs). i know my immunity is weak and my allergies get worse in fall and easier for viruses to get us in fall and winter which then flares my fibro.

8. roge

roge Member

yes i feel better too when i am on vacation near water (more so ocean). so like rainbow says, likely something in the air. i am so tempted to move near the ocean and to warmer weather but even if this was possible, would be hard as all my support network (family and friends) is where i live in ottawa, canada.