Well, today it's minus 50!!!! (In Alaska)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Jan 27, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

And I'm stuck in the hotel for a bit. Not all bad, though, because they have a computer! So I'm posting a separate question. Pray for warmer weather...I can't drive yet because of my foot surgery, so haven't been to my daughter's house yet. But I'll get there! Terri
  2. ggks

ggks New Member

WOW!!!!!
    I think that is cold. I can't imagine what that would be like. I live in Kansas, the center of the United States. When the temp gets down to O the snow crunches under foot. I'm always happy to get under the soft, warm covers. ggks
  3. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I don't see how human beings can live in weather that cold! I live in East Texas, and 32 deg. is cold for us.

I hope you get some warmer weather, and can get to your daughter's house!

Don't freeze!!!

Your friend,

Kinsie
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

One of our cooler days this winter, it's been really mild, cloudy, lots of precip though. Ottawa is statistically the sunniest capital in the world. Though definitely not this year. Life's always a tradeoff though, sunny winters are cold ones, mild like this year are cloudy.

To the person in Texas who wonders how people can live in our kind of cold, I wonder the same about people in tropical, super humid climates. It's all what you are used to. I love, love, LOVE, Canada an d all that comes w/ it. Gets pretty nipply at times, but the beauty of a fresh snowfall winterwonderland scene, the diamondlike beauty after freezing rain, and Northern Lights (Aurora Bourrealis), not to mention all FOUR seasons, make up for it all.

Not to mention, we are safe here, as long as we have a sure source of heat. No flashfloods, devastating earthquakes, Tsunamis, hurricanes, tidal waves, and heat rarely kills us either.

Jeanne

Jeanne
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

because they have so many cold spells like this. Luckily, I am just visiting...we don't live here anymore! (Maybe that is why!)
    All of the people go to work, school, etc. just like a normal day. But they either plug in their cars or leave them running for an hour or two...no joke! We used to get a cup of boiling water and when it was 40 below or colder, we'd throw the water out the door and watch it turn to powder before it hit the ground. It's more effective if you put some food coloring in it...crazy what we did for entertainment! Terri
  6. mary124

mary124 New Member

I live in Central Texas (Austin) and I thought when it gets down to 25 degrees at night its cold. (We have had colder days where it freezes over for a few days - you should see me then, I have my long johns on and a couple of blankets on. As you can all guess, I'm not made for any kind of cold weather. I like my warm weather where its 40 degrees and above.
  7. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Jan & Feb are the coldest months. LOL...You must be in the interior - maybe Fairbanks?? I know yesterday Fort Yukon was -53. Oh and the high for Fairbanks was -44.....We are at -25........oh so warm. This darn cold weather brought on an onset of bell's palsy (mild)for me. Wish you well in your stay. An wish me well that my car will start after work. Weather has made it a little cranky. My block heater is broken.
  8. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I couldn't take it.

It was 56 here today.

Brrrr -50, I just can't imagine
  9. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I am cramping up just thinking of it!!! That is what happens to me..I go out and immediately spasm for a few minutes til i acclimate .. hate it..central jersy isnt that cold but we do get snaps.

By the way how the heck do you pay your heating bills? We just got ours from last month and I try to be conservative and I almost fainted. I live in a tiny home, have gas heat, and it was close to 400 bucks

Anyone else have exorbitant unexpected heating bills . I know fuel went up but oh my!!!! warmth to all Linz
  10. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

Hi Terri,

Nice weather you're having!!! I hope where you are staying has a nice fire to sit by.

When we adopted our kids from Siberia, we went in summer for our sons, and then Dec. for our daughter. It was 40-50 below all the time and it didn't even phase the Russian people!! My kids think the winter here in Indiana is like summertime. Right now it's around 50 degrees. I myself hate the cold!!

Good to hear from you.
    Keep warm. I bet you can't wait to see your daughter:)

Sue
  11. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I cannot imagine it being so cold (brrrrr) we are at present in a very hot summer and it has been around 40c to 44 c and today very humid but I do not want to swap
    Linda