WELLBUPROFIN - Smoking Cessastion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by COOKIEMONSTER, Jul 16, 2003.

1. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

I think that's how you spell it. :)

Anyhoot, has anyone tried the Wellbuprofin to stop smoking? If so, did you have any side effects that I should be concerned about? Or did the product work for you?
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

And the generic is Zyban (I think). My mom and cousin both used it/them. They're both smoking again.... (Whatever you do, do NOT give in to that first cigarette. A smoke will not make whatever situation better.) Beyond that I can't help you because neither of them have FM or CFS, but my mom didn't mention any side effects.
  3. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

They are the same drug, but usually, they will want to prescribe Zyban for smoking cessation..I think it is really effective for that..I stopped about 8 years ago with its use..and have been smoke-free since that time...I did not have any side effects, but I don't take but about l50mg, now...When I first started it, however, I think I took the 300mg dose..

Plantscaper
  4. Blackfoot

Blackfoot New Member

Yes, Wellbutrin {and God!} helped me Quite smoking nearly 4 years ago now. I Had smoked for about 40 years!!! I haven't had a cig. since. I know that just one would "do me in"! Its the hardest thing I've ever done but the one I'm most proud of. I had no side effects and had no trouble getting off the Wellbutrin. Good luck. If I can do it ANYONE can do it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2003]
  5. bwoodruff

bwoodruff New Member

Wellbutrin is actually triple-marketed - to stop smoking, as a weight loss drug, and as an anti-depressant. I'm not a smoker, so I don't know how it works in that respect, but I've taken it for several years as an anti-depressant for my fibro and to help with migraines and it has been wonderful for me - I haven't experienced any side effects, although I have seen a few posters here say they felt "jittery" from it. I say give it a try - if you find you do have a bad reaction, you can find another treatment.

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. I know from watching my dad quit after smoking for 35 years how hard it will be for you. However, in the long run it's going to make you feel better. I know it's not the same, but when I stopped eating and drinking stuff with aspertame (the sugar substitue in diet drinks and sugar free snacks)in it I was amazed at how much better I felt - I had no idea what a toll it was taking on me until I got it out of my system.

I hope it goes well and relatively easy for you - good luck!!