wellbutrin blues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by palmtree, Feb 9, 2003.

1. palmtree

palmtree New Member

I have been taking 100mg wellbutrin SR for about 2 months now. I seem to have a little more energy, but I swear it is making me depressed. Has anyone else experienced this? I was not depressed before taking it, just tired.
  2. palmtree

palmtree New Member

Thanks for the reply Kid-Sonny. It always helps to hear about someone else's similar experiences. How did you feel on the other antidepressants? I know that the doctor will probably want to put me on Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., but I am a little nervous about all of the side effects I hear. I do not have much faith in medicine. I also tried Provigil and it made me crazy!
  3. rventura

rventura New Member

I was on 100mg Wellbutrin for a year or so and everytime I went to the Dr. I'd tell her that it wasn't working and beg her to "DO SOMETHING!" I was crying hysterically everyday. Finally, on the last visit I sat there and said to her that I wasn't leaving this office until she "DID SOMETHING". After looking back through my chart, was surprised at the 100mg dose. She said that it is the dose prescribed (from a different doctor)to people who are trying to quit smoking and that I should be on 300mg a day not 100mg. I take 150mg in the AM and 150mg in the PM. It made a great big difference.
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

My husband's cardiologist just put him on Wellbutrin, 150 mg, twice a day, to help him stop smoking. It's the same thing as Zyban, which he tried about 5 years ago, and it kept him awake at night, and that was at a lower dose than what he's taking now. He's going to give it a try though.
    I've been on Paxil for several years and it's been a miracle for me for panic attacks. I've had NO side effects from it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Karen
  5. LErdman

LErdman New Member

I am taking 150 mg of wellbutrin in the morning and another 150 mg pill at dinner time. Was still feeling a little depressed so Rheumy added 20 mg of Prozac in the morning. He said the Prozac is not always used as antidepressant because it can help with pain censors in the brain. With less pain you can do a little more activity which will help with depression.

I have had no side effects from Prozac. It actually helps with PMS big time! Believe me, I do not like taking drugs either but I have been dealing with Fibro for 10 years and went slowly off any medications for a while. Well, it didn't work. I went Down Hill fast. I still am not 100% but I do not feel like a walking zombie ALL the time.

LErdman
  6. Dianeme

Dianeme New Member

Hi Palmtree,
    I have been on wellbutrin 100 SR for 3 years now and at the beginning it was working pretty well, but about the last 8 mos. I was experiencing more depression. My doctor recommended that along with the wellbutrin twice a day, she suggested I try 20 mg. of Celexa, (10 in the am and 10 at night). That has seemed to work very well for me. I have a friend who also has fibro and her dr. is giving her 20 mg., one time a day of Lexipro. She said it has done wonders for her. Hope these experiences offer you some options to give your dr.
  7. hideycat

hideycat New Member

I tried it for a short time. Made me irritable and short tempered.
  8. palmtree

palmtree New Member

Hi rventura,
    Thanks for the posting about your experience with Wellbutrin. When you began taking a higher dose twice a day, how long did it take for you to notice a difference? Did you feel worse at first, then better? I am just curious because I began taking 100 in the morning and now 100 at night and I feel a little dizzy and nauseated. I remember when I first started taking the initial dose, I felt kind of sick, so I'm thinking that my body just has to adjust to a higher dose. Any info would be greatly appreciated!