WELLBUTRIN ... does it help fibro pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judithmahw, Jan 7, 2007.

1. judithmahw

judithmahw New Member

Have been thinking about trying cymbalta for pain but so many reports of weight gain which is already a problem for me...Any one have an expirience with wellbutrin? /Thanks
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I take Wellbutrin for depression.

It is the best anti depressant that I have ever taken.

Believe me, I have taken many different kinds over the years.

I have been on Wellbutrin for about five years, it does not do anything for my pain but does help me cope.

Good luck and best wishes from Denamay
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I also take wellbutrin, was just wondering what dosage you take? I take 150mg, one a day, but think it is time to up the mg dosage as my body is starting to not respond well.

Kriket
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I have taken Wellbutrin for about 4-5 yrs. but I take it for depression. Not sure if it helps my pain or not. Oh yea, and I lost quite a bit of weight after I started taking it too.

kriket
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I use to take wellbutrin SR and lost almost 80lbs after being on it for a month and a half. I continued on it for a while then started experiencing heart palps and doctor took me off it.

After trying so many other anti-depressants I was so thrilled it was the first one to finally help and I had so much energy and less pain.

Actually this past week I convinced my doc to try me on it again so I hope it will work once again for me. The only thing I can't get the brand name anymore and there is now a generic Buproprion brand.

Does anyone else take the generic brand Bupropion?

Hugs,
    Carolin
  6. a-b

a-b New Member

I was taken off Wellbutrin and put on Cymbalta for a year. I gained weight (20 lbs) and did not think it did any good for the pain. Coming off Cymbalta is very hard! I tapered off for weeks, adding the Wellbutrin per doctor's orders, and finally stopped completly about a month ago. I got brain zaps like crazy trying to get off it! Still having a little of it after six weeks.

With Wellbutrin I did not gain weight and hope to be able to now take off the extra weight gained with Cymbalta. Wellbutrin works well for my depression. I am on Lyrica for pain and have been really pleased with it. My neurologist upped my Lyrica to 200 to 300 mg per day last month to help with the brain zaps too and it does.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I take 200 mgs of Wellbutrin ie.100 in the AM and 100 in the PM.

Sometmes I have to up it 300 mgs.

My doctor says anything undrer 200 mgs daily for depression, does not work very well.

Best wishes from Denamay

PS. I wish I had the weirght loss that others have mentioned, no such luck for me, although I have not gained weight either.
  8. Mwitherite

Mwitherite New Member

This one is a toughy. I lost a lot of weight when I started taking it and I didn't have the weight to spare at 110 lbs. It also was really not good for my head, made me feel even more hopeless. I am on Cymbalta now and have been for about 4 months. It is said to help the pain as well as your head. It did the trick for my head but the pain has gotten worse. I think I'm flaring tho, it seems worse every day. I started on 30 mg for two weeks then to 60 mg and at my request it was just lowered on friday to 30 mg again as I was losing words and having to completely stop and think what word i was searching for, for instance accomodate was the most recent. Just a simple word but it took me a good too minutes to dig it out of my head.
    Hope this helps a little.
    -M
  9. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Mike - I assume you are referring to Wellbutrin as that is what the post is about and I am sorry that you didn't have any luck with it but there are many of us who have.

Please do not assume that someone doesn't have depression just because someone has found something that worked.

Carolin
  10. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

hell no........lol
    I coundnt tolerate this drug at all felt really loopy, i was driving like i was drunk. I stopped taking it right away, did NOTHING for the PAIN.
    best of luck
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

Guess this answers the topic about how one drug or supplement may work "different" on "different" people.

Kriket
  12. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I took wellbutrin for several months awhile back. I too felt what I called loopy and got way fat on it. I really hated how druged out I always felt. Hey, what can I say. Different strokes for different folks!!
  13. lilprincess

lilprincess New Member

I was taken off paxil and put on cymbalta b/c the paxil wasnt doing it for me anymore and they thought cymbalta would help with my pain. It did nothing for my pain and was not a good anti depressant for me, so I got off. As far as the weight thing, I didn't notice a change.
  14. skyeone

skyeone New Member

In my opinion, that has got to be one of the worst medications on the planet. OK well not the worst exactly, but if you aren't depressed, it will make you depressed. People who don't suffer depression shouldn't take anti-depressants. I was fine, went on it, and after a few weeks wanted to kill myself.

Enough said,
    Skye
  15. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

put me back on Wellbutrin.Yes I have depression but he says it is supposed to work well for fibromyaliga.This is the best Dr. I have. He first diagnosed me many yrs. ago(97 I accepted the dx finally) and he is also the one who gives me my Vicodin.(we tried EVERYTHING my insurance allowed over the yrs.)
  16. acheallover

acheallover New Member

I took this med. for three days, and ended up with a terrible rash, so goes this drug. Blessings, Phyllis
  17. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Different medications effect everyone differently. What helps one person may not help another.

It has been found that anti-depressants can help some people's pain. That doesn't mean you have something else wrong or that you are crazy.

Every medication has possible side effects. We have to weigh the possible benefits and made the decision whether to try a medication.
  18. AliOmalley

AliOmalley New Member

I'm on both. The Wellbutrin initially really helped me with fatigue. It was great. It lasted about 7 months but I am now struggling again. So, now we are considering a higher dose of a dopamine drug.

My doctor has a theory that the Cymbalta will help the pain - because it is also used for Diabetics who have peripheral nerve pain. It may help - I cannot really tell. He put me on too high a dose initially and I became profoudly depressed. So, be careful with the Cymbalta - it can have an opposite effect. I would actually like to go off of it because I really cannot tell if its helped. I take Tramadol daily for pain so its controlled -- although the dull ache is always present - the Ultram has been a miracle drug for me.
  19. jake123

jake123 New Member

I agree with Ali, it is good for energy. I can tell when I have not taken my medicine because I get a slump in the afternoon.