wellbutrin-not working too well for me so far

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jan 4, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

My doc prescribed me Wellbutrin. I just take one in the morning. I have had energy and not much of a appetite (which is good for me) but I have had two episodes of crying spells and I don't want to be bothered by anyone-almost like PMS. I thought this was suppose to help depression not make it worse??????????
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

My dr usually asks that I try to stay on something 2-3 weeks before switching to give it a chance to do it's job.

On the other hand - Welbutrin did not work well for me or lexapro, I was weepy with both. Cymbalta has done the best but I am watching my liver levels VERY closely. One dr took me off because of elevated levels and my other dr put me back on under strict supervision.

Hope you find something that works well for you!!!

Kelly
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

up to 6 weeks before you'll have any relief. hang in there, allow yourself to adjust, cry if you need to. After 6 weeks you'll know for sure. If you don't have any noticeable improvement after that, talk to your doc. Going any longer is not going to do any good. Personally, i can't stand anti depressants, they never did much for me, or the "improvement" was so slight I didn't want to continue. I figured I prefer to know what the heck is going on with me by not taking any and work on things in other ways. Are you taking it for FM pain relief? Or is it suggested you have depression or anxiety?
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

my doc gave me Xanax to cover the 'breaking in' period. He said at first Wellbutrin can cause anxiety.

I stopped taking it because instead of feeling better, after 3 1/2 weeks I was feeling worse. I wasn't depressed to start with. I was put on the AD to help with CFS?? It just doesn't.
  5. turtlelou

turtlelou New Member

I had been on Prozac for about 5 years when i wanted to try Wellbutrin because I heard it had less sexual side effects. i never felt so terrible in my life. it did nothing for me. i felt as if I was on nothing. The fatigue, depression, and pain was much worse. i went back on Prozac and felt better. My doctor and i discussed possibly that SRRI antidepressants are best for me, instead of the anticyclic type. i'm not sure i spelled those right. anyway, it is good to give it enough time to work and then decide.
  6. zerped

zerped New Member

When was first diagnosed with ADD and depression, the doctor gave me Rx for Wellbutrin. The change was positive and dramatic. My desire for cigarettes disappeared almost entirely, I had focus, and showed no signs of depression.

After a few years, it seemed to not have as much effect. I discovered St. John's Wort. The improvement wasn't as sudden, but it's the best antidepressant I've tried so far. Since my ME/CFIDS, my doctor has tried other antidepressants for me. I'm back on Welbutrin now, and not having real dramatic results (i.e.--nothing batter than St. JW). If things don't change when our little experiement is done, I'll stick with the St.JW.