Wellbutrin XL vs: Wellbutrin SR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lindy2, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the two. My doctor prescribed me the SR but pharmacists kept giving me the generic; Bupropion which does nothing for me.

She gave me quite a few sample of the XL so I wanted to know if this one could be better than the SR.

I did a search for older post but didn't find to much info.

Thanks for the replies,
    Lindy
  2. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Hoping for some relpies :0)
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I take the Wellbutrin XL, and used to take the SR. It's my understanding that the XL is time released.
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi Lindy -
    Wellbutrin XL and SR are both sustained release formulations. The difference is that SR involves twice daily doses (like 150 mg twice a day = 300 mg total) and the XL is the same total daily dose, but once a day (one 300 mg pill).

They are both bupropion hydrochloride. They came out with the XL to compete against the generics when the first patents for Wellbutrin expired.

Even though the brand and the generic may be considered "equivalent" in terms of the concentration in the blood, equivalence can be deemed acceptable when clinical trial data is any where from 85 - 125% comparable of a 30-patient population. Also since a lot of the inactive ingredients (the fillers, the stuff that makes it disintegrate, etc.) can be patented now, generics may use different brands of these same ingredients.

So if you find that the generic is NOT equivalent for you, you have to get your doctor to write or check off "NO SUBSTITUTIONS" on your prescriptions to make sure that you get the "Wellbutrin" brand.

Hope this helps.
    Madame Curie