Wellbutrin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

does anyone out there take wellbutrin for pain?
    can you tell me if it helps with social anxiety or just mean old anxiety?

thanks
    sue
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Not sure why anyone would take Wellbutrin for pain as it's an anti depressant.

One thing I know is that in the very small, tiny print it states that Wellbutrin causes hallucinations so be very careful with this medication.

There are better medications for anxiety out there.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

for anxiety.

I am taking Klonopin now. What others would you recommend? And why?

Thanks & Hugs,
    Twerp
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Wellbutrin is for depression. I've never found any side benefit that helps with pain. And I never experienced it making me more at ease in social situations. But there are some types of depression that seem like anxiety. I get that. And Wellbutrin helps ease this.
  5. wish2hike

wish2hike New Member

Hello, I take Wellbutrin every day. I tried other antidepressants and had quite a few side effects. This drug doesn't effect sexual response the way others do. Some antidepressants decrease the desire to be intimate (sp?). I didn't really think it was helping me cope with fibro and the frustration of limited mobility and pain. We had to go out of town for a funeral and I didn't have time to refill my script. I thought I would just have it filled at a pharmacy in the area where we were going. I was without it for 2 days and was miserable and frustrated, no patients, unable to focus (and I thought I couldn't focus before the wellbutrin). The quality of life was miserable at best. My husband got my script filled and within 24 hours I felt much better. I am extremely sensitive to all medications, so much so that it is difficult to get me to take anything. I usually slice and dice my meds in order to be able to tolerate them (wellbutrin cannot be divided as it is a time release tablet), I say all this to say, of all the meds I am on...I can say this one does help, I just didn't realize how much until I didn't have it for a few days. The mechanism in which this drug works in the brain is interesting. I just can't remember all the details of this but if you can get a doctor or phamacist to explain it to you, I think you would be interested in trying it. I can say it was the easiest med for me to take without any real side effects outside of a dry mouth. I hope this helps in some way for you.
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

anti depressants help some people's pain.

I was not aware that it helped with anxiety. I thought my doctor told me it wouldn't and he prescribed buspiron for anxiety along with the wellbutrin.

I no longer take the buspiron.

I take welbutrin XL 300 mg daily.

7. roge

roge Member

anxiety is a part of depression

someone on this thread said antidepresants are not for pain - that is incorrect - might try doing some research

seretonin and even more so epiniphrine (sp?) are 2 of the main chemicals that regulate pain and AD's affect both these chemicals, especially the tricyclics

of course not saying all will get pain releif from AD's but many do.

peace
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What I meant by better meds for anxiety would be meds designed to help people who have anxiety attacks.

I have a problem with docs prescribing meds for uses other than what they are intended unless of course, they've been proven to help, like Trazadone for sleep. It's an anti-depressant (sp?) but all it does is put people to sleep. Not much help if you're depressed, but very helpful if you have sleep problems.

Some of you know that my 20 year old daughter is mentally ill (with FM also) and we've just spent the last 11 months on med trial and error, some of this time was pure hell.

She was given Gabapentin which caused severe hallucinations and had no medical reason to be prescribed for her condition. (There's also a class action law suit going on right now for this reason)

Wellbutrin also caused hallucinations. The combination of these two meds caused severe anxiety, hallucinations and a really rough few months. There is no way to describe watching your child picking imaginary bugs off of herself, or having to immediately stop the car so she can jump out and try to get them off of her.

My daughter is now on Clonazepam for anxiety and it's helping quite a bit, although we recently had to increase her dosage.

Although the other poster has a valid point with the Wellbutrin and pain, I sincerely believe that Wellbutrin alone for pain with a condition like FM/CFS isn't going to help as much as trying to find the root cause of the pain.

If it's muscle pain, a good balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement taken twice a day will do more to alleviate the pain than an anti depressant (sp?) alone.

Joint pain is another story.... I still have to take an occassional Tramadol for joint pain.

Don't forget, we're all in different phases of this illness. A few years ago I had no pain whatsoever and doubted my dx. Then came the major flare that started in July 04 and I'm still trying to work my way out of it. I've been mostly housebound and bedridden the entire time with only a few months of short relief.

A wonderful thing about this board is you will find that with any problem or condition, there are people here with experience on what worked for them and they are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Take this into consideration, but work with your doctor to find the best solution for you.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Wellbutrin (at low dose--100 mg) and Moclobomide (not available in the US) are the only antidepressants I ever have been able to tolerate.

(I stopped taking any antidepressants years ago.)

However, the first time I was taking Wellbutrin, I still was suffering from substantial anxiety from a head injury. (This anxiety has since faded.)

At the time, Wellbutrin was only available at 150 mg. It made my anxiety much worse.

My husband, who suffers from anxiety, took Wellbutrin for a couple of days too. I hadn't told him what the drug did to me, but he said it made his anxiety worse too.

I've not heard of many (or maybe any) CFS patients doing well on any antidepressants. However, of the non-CFS people I know, Wellbutrin seems to be better liked than the vast majority of other AD's.

Best, Lisa