Went to both doctors a bone scan??? and no help for the pain.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Feb 16, 2007.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have a herniated lower disc. can't remember the lumbar or anything like that all i know is it is in the lower part of my back almost on my butt check. Anyways have had a lot of pain in my left leg and i was diagnosed with Sciatica. it simply means that the Sciatic Nerve is irrated. i'm very worried now that the herniated disc is pressing on this nerve causing all this pain. my worst fear is having to have surgery on my back. any one know anything about this???
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Look up piriformis syndrome.
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Damage to the body always generates scar tissue. Scar tissue is dead. As we age or get toxic metals, we produce less enzymes. Enzymes dissolve scar tissue.

"Forbearance" has had great success with Virastop for CFS viruses. Vitalzym is the favorite of William Wong N.D. for dissolving scar tissue. It worked on his wife's C section scar tissue!

I'm using Walmart's "Rexall" Enzymes: 200 tabs $7. Its probably not as effective but its cheap and I don't have a job.
  4. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Have you tried physical therapy?
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Ok.. My hubby's got this one going on too. All of his lumbar discs as well as the last thorasic disc are either bulging or herniated. They are sending him to a spine pain interventionist. They do basically shots into the spine, or electric stimulation to the spine to block the pain. He has his first consultation the 13th of next month. If this doesn't work than he may be looking at surgery.

I have this going on with my neck.. impenged nerves from a slipped vertabre. extreme pain in my shoulder, arm etc. I'm doing physical therapy right now. I find out in a few weeks if I'm going to have to have surgury.

There are alot of new procedures these days. My ex had a herniated disc and they went in and just shaved off the pertruding part of the disc that was interfering with the nerves. Only a couple of stitches and his pain is improved he says by about 70%.

Get on line and start reading. I have found some awesome sites on spinal anatomy and treatments. It's amazing all the different procedures there are now that are not nearly as invasive as they used to be.

You know, also, one of our Managers that I work with has 4 herniated discs. He has found a ton of relief useing inversion therapy and decompression therapy.

I know the thought of surgery is pretty scary. I'm scared of the prospect myself! But truly, there are worse things.. like living in pain that could be stopped by a surgery!

Good luck to you!
    Dona
  6. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

Hi...I can definitely sympathize with what you are going thru. I spent almost all of 2005 laid up in bed, in agony because of a herniated L5-S1. I had x-rays and an MRI...I suffered thru the physical therapy and no pain med they gave me even began to touch the pain I was in. I went to a Chiropractor and he took one look at my MRI and said "I won't touch you, you need surgery." Well, you would think that I would be upset by that, but I was thrilled to finally have someone recognize the pain and seriousness of my situation. He referred me to a top neorosurgeon, and I had a Lumbar Laminectomy. I am not going to tell you that recovery was easy but 2 days after the surgery I was walking with no pain and upright for the first time in about 8 months. I still have some problems with my back, 3 other bulging discs, and am limited to only lifting 10 pounds, but I am walking !!!!! I will never take walking for granted again. Of course the one BIG down side to the sugery was that my Fibro has been flaring ever since...it has been a rough year for me. You may have to make the decision about back surgery at somepoint and please do weigh the advantages and disadvantages for your particular situation...but for myself, even with the horrendous flaring Fibro, I am glad I had the surgery. Hope you are feeling better soon. Jackie
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

thanks for all the info. i knew i could count on finding something out on my favorite website when it comes down to fibro and things that can go with it. you guys are the best. thank you so much.

woofmom - i guess i'm just not up to the latest on this and since i have no idea what piriformis syndrome is this will be something i need to look up. i've never had this pain before so sorry i didn't know what to look up.

allwxrider - at the time i found out about the herniated disc there was no scar tissue but think i need another ct scan (i think it's a ct scan but could be wrong) that is what i'm hoping the doctors can find out for me.

ginner - i have tried physical therapy quite a few times. unfortuntly every time i have tried it my fibro got worse instead of better. my pain doctor is working just to get the fibro under control and then i had planned to try physical therapy again.

prickles - like you i have hypermobilty syndrom. but this is a different kind of pain and it is in my left leg and goes from my panty line in front around the hip area to about the middle of my back end. it then travels down on the side and the front to the knee. if a chiropractor can help then by god i will find out the one my mom goes to. lol. i just want to make sure that whatever i do doesn't make it worse.

dononagin - your right surgery does scare me especially since i have teenagers that i need to keep on the straight and narrow. lol. actually i've had many surgeries but on my back does scare me. i'm hoping that the doctors will find that i don't need surgery and there is a simpler way to handle this. not sure what it is but have two doctors appointments on monday so i'm sure they will have some idea.

jackie65 - jackie your right about no pain killers are touching this pain. i take 60 mg of avenza (morphine) and it doesn't even touch it. today is the first time i have noticed the difficulty of walking. i took the dog out for a walk and almost had to sit down in the snow. thankfully she did her business really quicly. If it comes down to surgery it really is no choice. i can't take this pain for much longer. i do believe i try to do just about anything to make this pain go away.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm with you on this problem! I need help, too!

I have a pinched nerve between L4-L5 and S-1. The pain in my low back--right above your butt cheeks--is horrific.

I spend most of my days either in bed (12 hrs at least) or in my rocker/recliner because I can not stand on my feet more than 5-10 minutes due to the pain.

Pain pills don't touch the pain.

I have been evaluated by a neurosurgeon and he says no surgery at this time.

I have had lumbar epidural spinal injections (3) that did not help. I have gone through physical therapy. I spent one summer going to the chiropractor 3 times a week with no improvement.

When I'm in my chair, I always have a heating pad on my back.

I also have other back problems--herinated disks, buldging disks, spinal stenosis, etc. (I have a complete list in my bio) but this pinched nerve is the killer.

It will also make my leg numb as well as my big toe and the toe next to it.

I can't sleep on my right side at night because of the pain it causes in my hip.

This has been affecting me for 2 years now and has me almost totally housebound.

Hope you get relief with your situation!

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. When I had it, I was shown some simple exercises bending the knees and pulling the knee to the chest and it would move the nerve somehow. I thought they were nuts when I was in severe pain, but it was the only thing that helped. But ck. with your dr.
  10. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Karen the reason i don't know more is because i was in such pain i went to the emergency room. my other doctors are 30 miles away and my mom is the one that usually drives me and she lives about the same distance. i figured that i couldn't stand the pain anymore it was so bad that i cried just standing up from the couch. that is why i have two doctors appointments monday. i hope they can find something more then what the hospital did.

georgiac - i'm not real sure what they are going to find and how they are going to treat it. the hospital prescribed me some flexeral. since i don't know too much yet what is going on back there i can't say to much. i would be thrilled to have to take only one more pill. however with morphine not even touching the pain i just don't know.

Janet - my heart goes out to you. i've had two of those lumbar shots and like you they did nothing for me. i was lucky the doctor that was doing them said that if the second one didn't work he wouldn't put me through the pain of a third shot. mine is one the left side. i hope it doesn't get to the point that i get house bound. just the thought of that is scary. however i can see where you are coming from because even walking to the bathroom makes it hurt worse. I don't have a heating pad but i do have a tens unit that i do use. it makes my back feel better but doesn't touch the leg pain

prickles - i think you read my reply wrong and would hate to think that i might have hurt your feelings. the only reason i mentioned the hypermobility is because i was dx'ed with that and never thought that being double jointed was a bad thing. as for the chiropractor i am willing to try anything to relieve the pain. i just want to know more about what is going on before i try anything. would hate to make it worse.

fibrobutterfly - i've been doing some internet reading and they say that sometimes a gentle excerise is the best thing for it. tht would really be good.

I'll let everyone know monday how things went and what the doctors had to say. thanks for all the info and keep your fingers crossed for me. i'm hoping for the best.
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ugh... I know what you mean. My mom had back surgury when I was 15. It was only her and I and I was the only one who could take care of her after her surgery.

First was finding somewhere she trusted for me to stay a week while she was in the hosptial (the stays were longer then).

Second was the trip home from the hospital. We had a little toyota with a clutch... I was 15! I didn't even have a drivers licence yet I drove her an hour home from the hospital with both of us crying all the way (I lurched the clutch every time I shifted!).

The recovery... It was tough. But I tell ya what, Mom and I really had some serious bonding during this time and I think in the long run it brought us closer. We ate a lot of Macaroni and Cheese! : )

Hopefully if you do have to have surgery it will be ok.
    I have a 16 year old as well, but luckily for me I have a hubby to help.

Keep me posted as you find out. If it does turn out you need surgery you have a team of friends here rooting you on to recovery!

Take care!

Dona
  12. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I know of people / patients( I worked in the hospital as a rehab. technician for 11 yrs, along side Physical Therpists ) who had "herniated" disks, which means the soft tissue between the disks is squishing/pushing out and if you have pain, the tissue is possibly pressing on a nerve. What they do in that surgery is go in and cut the herniated part off. People recoop. quite well.
    Not to be confused with "bulged" disk, soft tissue protruding and can be better without surgery, with treatments.
  13. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

what is a bone scan and what do they inject in you? i'm soo confused and so upset that i have to deal with all of this pain still.
  14. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hi,

I've had 2 bone scans on my spine and hips. They check the density of your bones. For me they were checking how much thinning of the bones(caused by osteoporosis, arthritis, scoliosis, surgeries, etc.)I have. It is painless. I had no injections, just laid on this table and a machine went back and forth over top me. Don't be afraid--it's the easiest test you'll ever have! Good Luck!

pat460