Went to DENTIST ended up in ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Aug 19, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

I have an abcessed tooth and the infection had spread. Dentist was gonna remove it and gave me first injection and that was OK. Could still feel it so gave me another injection and I stopped breathing. They called 911 and I ended up in hospital. Symptoms gone by the time I got there and they gave me cliromycin and percocet. My tooth was moved and I'm now in AGONY nothing is touching it. Won't be able to see another dentist till Monday. Don't know how I'm gonna make it thru. If anyone in Calgary knows a dentist I could see on Sunday please let me know.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  2. darude

darude New Member

Thankd it was a nightmare cam round couldn't speak or swallow. Had a allegic reaction.
  3. darude

darude New Member

the second one had epinephrine and went straight into blood vessel so went thru my entire system fast.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so glad you're ok...what a frightening and painful experience.

Thank God they called 911 and got you the help you needed.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS!
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would go back to the emergency room and get them to treat you for the pain. On Monday you may be able to see your regular doctor or go to a walk in clinic.

I was recently in your area, actually Banff, Lake Louise and Lake Morraine. So beautiful!!!!!

Hope you feel better soon.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

my son had a cavity that abcessed quickly...and i being the front desk manager changed my son's appt a couple of times to squeeze some other patient in...never did that again..

but she kept trying to numb the area up and since the infection had spread it will back it difficult to numb it up...

so no human error darude...you had allergic reaction...

the epi must've got your heart racing and then the rest took over...thank goodness you made thru...

they may need to do an i.v. sedation or nitrious oxide for you..

good luck

jodie
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Infected tissue is almost impossible to block with local anesthetics. The ph of the tissue just destroys and blocks the local anesthetics and I don't doubt that the first one did not work.

However, for you to stock breathing, my guess would be that he inadvertently made the injection into either a vein or an artery. That can lead to seizures, loss of consciousness, and cessation of breathing. It is not, necessarily, an allergic reaction. The injection into a blood vessel, or repeated doses of the injections can result in true toxicity which is an overdose.

Nitrous oxide with the local, and or some IV narcotic is the best way to go with a badly infected tooth.

You should have been placed on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory for two doses after the surgery to cut down on the pain and the swelling.

Sometimes, either ice or warmth applied to the face in the region is an alternative for this.
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

That was close!

I thought dentists had to have a crash cart available for such things?

I'd go to er and get pain meds until can see dr. monday. Did you get antib.s?

Does sound like you will have to find out what can use besides injection you got, if furthr dental work.

We have an unbelievably good acupuncture dentist here in town. A friend had all caps put on and not one injection or infection. Maybe you could find one where you live?

get feeling better soon!!!!

HUGS GALORE,
    findmind
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

But you really need to go back and get some antibiotics for the infection that caused the tooth to abcess. Tell them that your in intence pain and need to be seen again assp or as fast as they can for being in Canada.

See if they will se you oce more adn don't put a hot pack on that spot where your tooth was or you will be needing A BED in taht hospital as it is bad to put heat as it will pull the infetcion out through your tissues and in to your face.

PLease try to get you some antibitoics for your abcess's socket as you need it for it to heal. And you really will need some pain meds for it .
    I hope that you can get in to see some doctor and not have to wait for hours on end.

I have family in Canada and I know that that the meical system is not great and that it will take from 4--8 hours in an ER waiting room.
    Please don't let this wait till your face is swollen and your runnign a fever. OR maybe that is the way to get seeen becuase you are sick and need help asap.

I am so sorry for you sweetie.
    GET some rest and if you need to go to the heopital for help.
    Love and hugs.
    Rosemarie
  11. darude

darude New Member

I'm on antibiotics and they gave me Percocet but NOTHING is touching this pain. Looks like I'll have to make to Monday before I'm seen
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I recently had a tooth that had had a root canal and a cap get infected and the tooth had to be pulled. Along with antibiotics, & a small mg narcotic, they told me it was very important to take Motrin or 800 mg of Advil 3 times a day. I can not remember why but I know that it gave me more relief that the narcotic meds.

If you have not tried that, please do. I had been told by a dentist before that Advil works well with pain in your mouth.

Please take care. I do hope you find something that helps.
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm praying you will have less pain today. Love, Terri
  14. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

You poor thing, I can't believe there is no emergency dentist to help you.

You should be on antibiotics to clear up the infection before having a tooth pulled. Are you on some now?

Let us know how you make out.

Hugs, Sue in Ontario
  15. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Only it was like 6 shots into the same vein in the gum! It was the scariest thing that ever happened to me. I went back (don't ask why) and the dentist told me that I created my own panic attack. The associate dentist did it again to me! I can't believe that I allowed this to happen! They can't numb a tooth so they keep injecting.

Same reaction. My heart was racing out of my chest! I called the dentist on my speaker phone (I lived right up the street and barely was able to park the car) because of the tremors. She would not help me!

Eventually when the medication made its way out of my system, I scheduled an appt. with my doctor and he could not believe how stupid they were. He pulled the PDR from the shelf and showed me the side effects.

If I would've had a heart condition, I would be dead now. It still haunts me to this day.

My new dentist will tell me when he is going to adm. the epinephrine and to expect the heart to race no more than 30 sectonds. He uses very little when he has to.

We all need to be aware of this...........Patti
  16. darude

darude New Member

Pain is very bd today and the Percocet and antibiotic have given me a headache and I feel vey nauseous.
  17. joysarah

joysarah New Member

darude, I am so sorry to hear what happened to u. I had a similar episode myself. My heart started to race and my bp shot up. I see a great dentist now and he takes care of me like I am a heart patient. He gives me a special shot that has no epenephrine in it. He has a red flag on my chart,for some reason I can't take that stuff. since then I have never had any trouble. you really should be getting an antibiotic. Just make sure that they never give u the epenephrine again. Good luck Joy
  18. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

to having a pass out panic attack...My whole body felt numb they kept injecting that stuff and I was so upset and nervous that I was pumping it all over my body and my toothe never gets really numb. They last time I went for a toothe pull I had to have my Doctor give me Xanax, the dentist office wouldn't it's not like I asked for a whole bottle just a couple to get me thru some dentist offices do that...I need so much dental work but I am so scared..

I hope you are feeling better, I know it hurts, I'll be praying for you today!!

HUGS
    Kelly
  19. darude

darude New Member

Ya this is just one tooth we are working on now BUT I need all uppers pulled and dentures. Going to have to be put out and hope for the best. It's a nightmare isn't it.
  20. kjfms

kjfms Member

How awful for you. I hope you get well very soon. I don't think there is anything worse than tooth/mouth pain is there?

((((((((darude))))))))))) soft gentle hugs. :)

Sending you all of my good thoughts,

Karen :)

One of you PT partners in crime.