Went to dentist, Feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gb66, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have been cancelling appoinments for a year to get my teeth cleaned and cavities filled because of some other medical issues that I had to take care of first, and now I may need a root canal.

I just got home from the dentist and I fell upset and overwhelmed. I have developed 3 other small cavities this year on top of two that needed filling. Now I will need to get one extraced or have a root canal and I don't know how I'm going to find the strength to do it.

I am so worn out from having CFS and FM for 31 years, and from other health problems that I can barely function anymore.

There seems to be no end in sight for this suffering. I just need to vent and not feel alone with all these things. I have support from my husband and my dentist and the staff are as understanding as they can be when I know they don't really get this disease. They do try to work with me and I'm grateful for that. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself right now. After I rest I'll feel better.

I know from reading so many posts on this board that I am in good company having this dd. Everyone here is suffering so much also. Some days are just so much worse than others though.

Thanks for listening and for your support. Hugs to all. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2009]
  2. jole

jole Member

I can totally relate! I put off going to the dentist also....and really need to go. I have panic attacks just thinking about it...lol...

With the FM, I always have a huge flare after dental work, which is one reason why I put it off. I'm fortunate also to have an understanding dentist (at least he seems to be when he talks to me!) But that doesn't take care of the problems it all entails, does it?

Furthermore, I have no insurance, so it's really a burden financially to go. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier/cheaper to just have them pulled and over with......

I'm sorry you're going through this. Deciding between a root canal and getting one pulled is not easy. I wish you well. Thinking about it is almost as bad as getting it done sometimes. Sending good thoughts your way.......Jole
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

All my life I've had a terrible fear of dentist. Likely came from being sent to a Dental school in Britain for my teeth work, along with the fact that I don't freeze well.

The last time I had to have work done was when a filling fell out. I told the dentist that I had FM and also had problems with freezing. He didn't take the time to provide any extra freezing, or wait enough time. It was agony. He just kept on saying "I'm almost done". I was just about in tears afterwards , along with the darn flare that it caused.

I know I should be going, but I'll need to find a very sympathetic dentist this time. One who actually listens to their patients as well as understand the effect that dentistry can have on people with chronic pain conditions.

I wish you well and hope that you can find a dentist that will treat you caringly.

All the best,

4. spacee

spacee Member

Feeling so bad for you. I have had this 24 yrs, can't imagine 7 more years.

I have had some help with these 3 things:

samE for low serotonin (I can't take antidepressants). You have to remember to take it throughout the day on an empty stomach. And I forget until I feel down.

GABA (sold here, so is samE) this is fabulous for my light and sound sensitivity. And anxiety. I take it twice a day although prohealth's says once a day, gnc says twice.

The two above are either an amino acid which our bodies need but don't make OR it helps an amino acid.

Ritalin 5 mg twice a day. I sleep way too much without this. And I was having a very hard time making appts until I started it. Mayoclinic.com recommends it for CFS as an "experimental". I took that to my pcp and he rxed it for me.

I don't know if any of these will help. I sure feel for you.

5. Empower

Empower New Member

Queen of dental work here!

I am usually at the dentist once a month for something, and I really really dread it. What has helped is that I found a dentist that I really like, who is sympathetic and listens to me and puts up with my whining. He is also very funny and talks non stop during the procedure,, so this helps to distract me.

He may not be the GREATEST dentist in the world, but if not for him, I would not be going at all.

BTW, I go Monday for part two of two of my root canal. Now the root canal guy is another story. He is NOT sympathetic, he is no nonsense, and DOES NOT put up with my whining. BUT I believe he is an excellent endodontist. If you have to have a root canal done, you want it done right the FIRST time, right!

Good luck and I TOTALLY sympathize.

PS - my sister needs all kind of dental work too, and she does not have FMS or CFS and she is just upset by it as I am

I just read somewhere that stress affects our mouth. Imagine that??
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Bless your heart, you are having so much trouble yourself these days. I'm so grateful to you for taking the time and energy to answer my post and give me so much information. I know it was hard to do.

I know my CFS/FM isn't related to my teeth because I was hit with this before I had trouble with dental problems. It is just so much harder now to keep up with regular dental care and I neglect it, but not by choice most of the time.

I had one root canal about 25 years ago and had no problems during or afterward. I already had this dd then but had just been ill for 5 years. Now it's been 31 and I'm 69 years old. It's getting harder by the year (month, week, day, second!) lol

I will be praying for you on your visit to the breast care center. It's most likely a benign lump. My dil had two surgeries for them when she was in her 20's. Not had a problem since.

As for the root canal/extraction decision, you've made me think twice about the root canal. My husband thinks he'd just have an extraction. He's had both in the past. The thing is, it's the end molar on the same side that I had a molar extracted a few years ago. I need it to chew!!
    Thanks again. GB66
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I have almost no dental ins. either. Mine pays up the $100 in a year. That barely gets you through the front door!
    They told me today that the two procedures would cost about $2,000. I'll have to put it on a credit card. They have to remove an old crown on one tooth to fill a cavity and then replace it with a new crown. Then on the other side, I need either a root canal or extraction, my choice. I don't know what to do. Also, 4 other smaller cavities. (and I go every year for cleaning and x-rays). All of this still keeps happening. The one thing that makes it so serious is the fact that I can't get the work done as soon as they say to do it. I also have flares after getting dental work done and I did ask for antibiotics today just in case of infection. And, yes , thinking about this is as almost as bad as getting it done!

I have to put appointments off so many times that they keep on getting worse. Trying to balance CFS/FM and ANY other part of our lives is almost impossible. GB66

This Message was Edited on 09/15/2009</i>]

8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply and support. I also have a lot of fears about dentists and doctors. I'm not sure where it started but I've been that way as long as I can remember. The first time I had a tooth filled I was 28 years old. The dentist used Novacaine and turns out I'm allergic to it. It gave me mouth ulcers everywhere the needle went in. He didn't tell me that the numbness would last for hours so I bit through my tongue without knowing it. I sure knew it when the stuff wore off. I couldn't eat for awhile and lost 5 pounds. It was
    Thanksgiving week too! Now they use carbocaine and that works okay.

Thnks for the good wishes. GB66
    This Message was Edited on 09/15/2009</i>]
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm going to look into the GABA and samE. I've heard of those before and some are having good results with them. I have the light and sound sensivity and a little depressed at times, mostly when things are extra bad, like now. I am more prone to anxiety. I don't have panic attacks just this constant feeling of dread or impending doom. Maybe it's because I am still sick after 31 years! lol

That's enought to make one feel down. You say that you can't imagine 7 more years of this but you get through it one day at a time, just like you've done up to now. I remember when I first became ill and if i had been able to look ahead and know there'd still be no cure all these years later, I wouldn't have believed it. I do believe that there's more hope now than there was. Maybe soon we'll have a breakthrough. GB66
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. Like your sister, I was always upset by going to the dentist too. But now I can hardly get the strength to go at all. It definitely is more difficult.

My dentist is very gentle and patient but not the talky friendly type. I wish he was. It does help you relax when they smile and chat with you. The hygenist who does the teeth cleaning is very nice and also gentle and patient. I'm very comfortable with her but still have to cancel appnt's. due to ill health and being in pain. She uses a laser device to clean and I really do like that better than the scraping. It's painless and takes less time. GB66
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I had three root canals removed 15 years ago because I thought it would help my CFS. It didn't make any difference at all. I found a web-site a few years ago for people with chronic illnesses who had their root canals removed and they all said the same thing - it was a complete waste of money and teeth because it didn't improve their health even 1%. I'd seriously consider getting a second opinion from another dentist before you do anything drastic that you might regret in the future.