Went to Doctor, Filling Out Papers and Couldn't Remember The Year

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Oct 16, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been so depressed/anxious so decided to go see a therapist. Went this morning didn't think I could make it. I felt so bad, mentally and physically. Woke up at 4 am very nauseaous etc.

Anyway, was filling out the paper work and my mind went blank, I could not remember the Year, I put 1986 on the paper work.

It was as I didn't have a mind, I couldn't remember, I first put 1964. Today is my daughters birthday and she was born Oct.16, 1964 so thought ok just thinking of her, but then I couldn't remember the year.

What is happening to me. I was so embarrassed. So forgive my mistakes typing this post.

The past month has been terrible and I think its all coming from the sinus infection that hasn't cleared up or I am ready for lock up big time.

Had a reaction to the antibiotic didn't want to try another but can an infection mess with your mind or have I completely lost it.

2. akandmk

akandmk New Member

Sorry to hear that greatgran. I know from experience that must have been very nerve racking for you. I have problems like that when i am overwhelmed. It seems that the fibrofog is so much worse when i am anxious or upset.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

sorry you are having such a tough time.

I know my brainfog is getting really bad. I cant remember anything!
    went to pick up grandson at school and was in a panic because I could say his name!

It is worse if your stressed or ill. Do you get chronic sinus infections? I do.

take care
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Akandmk, do you really think its just the fibro fog? If so maybe I want panic to much. Never had this happen before. Yes, I was anxious even with taking a xanax but have been anxious before but could remember.

3gs, Yes, I seem to keep a sinus infection so they say but it isn't the typical symptoms,not much pain just the fullness of head, ears, off balance blurry vision and sometimes vertigo. When I get this feeling it causes depression/anxiety much worse in the morning.

Now about your grandson's name did this just last a second, that seems to be how mine usually is then it will come to me but not today. Oh, it scared me , maybe there is something more going on in my head than sinus.

I do hope this was a case of just fibro fog and not any other disease.

5. akandmk

akandmk New Member

My mind freezes up when i am anxious and upset. It doesn't help any when i try to think of what it is that is eluding me and that will make me more anxious and it seems like it is a vicious cycle. Fibrofog is the pits and i too have noticed that I'm getting more of it lately.
  6. NewSky

NewSky New Member

Hi greatgran

I feel for you. Sometimes, I get this blank-mind-attack, too. I’ve got CFS/Fibro/IBS/EBV etc. So, I think it’s part and parcel of these conditions. Prior to CFS I had a photographic mind.

By the way...I’m new here. I posted a lengthy reply to your “Does Anyone Feel They Just Can’t Take All Of This Anymore.” I also typed a New Here posting to introduce myself. They didn’t appear. ProHealth got back to me – we think I hadn’t logged in. So that’s why they didn’t appear.

After more than a decade I’m back on the computer...and I hooked up to the Internet recently. So, it’s terrific being able to interact with other CFS sufferers. I’ve been isolated for a long time.

Hope your sinus infection clears up, soon. Hang in there...there's top researchers looking for ways to help us. Breakthroughs, may be just around the next corner.

You're not alone...NewSky.
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

on the occusion of grandsons name no it didnt come to. I think because it thru me into a panic as teacher was looking at me funny.

sometimes it comes other times its out the windows!!!!
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your replies. I have been in some foggy situations but never forgetting the year, maybe the date or what day but the year??

Have any of you been this bad or could it be something else?

3gs, I guess forgetting your grandson's name sorta fits, was this the only time you have forgotten things like names and dates?

Gosh, I am going crazy.

God bless,
  9. 3gs

3gs New Member

not the first time. I can be talking to someone face to face and forget there name let alone what we were talking about!

I have forgotten year also. You should see some of the checks Ive made out!!!!!!!
    went to pay my condo fee (20yrs here) and had to ask manager how much it was and date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you find your self in a serious situation (like trying to spell)I think its the fibro. If your really worried ask your doc to test you.

love your posts
    keep on trucking!
  10. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

That same exact thing happened to me one time I went to the dentist and had to fill out a form and I happened to go on my husbands birthday and when I filled out the date I wrote it as 10/10/66 and no one caught it that time and the next time I went they had a good laugh at my expense. I couldn't think of why I would have wrote 66 then I had to think a while and it came to me.
  11. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

When ever I am putting a date on something I have to pay attention to what I am doing.
    Heck, I put down any old random date for no reason what so ever. Most of the time I really don't have a clue what day it is never mind the date.
    This doesn't upset me any more ... I just gaff it off and say oh well that's me.
    I can answer a trivia question and the minute the word comes out of my mouth I have no idea what I just said. Again I don't let this upset me I just laugh it off as oh well that's me.
    I always forget names.
    I use words like whatchamacallit and thingamajig more and more all the time. I think gizmo is my fav tho.
    I have to put things in the same place all the time or I don't remember where they are, like my watch or key or even my glasses.
    Guess my point is don't sweat the small stuff.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2008]
  12. frostymocha

frostymocha New Member

Go to your medical Dr and insist they run various tests for your health - this is exactly how my brain began stuttering and it was not the "fibro-fog" that many suffers describe.

It took a good CFS Dr to finally run the thyroid tests for TSH levels and their ratios, check my Vitamin D and B levels, and then a virologist ran the viral panels and they found I have a host of viruses that were active including EBV and I had clinically-critical low levels of D. All of this lead to my brain not functioning.

I am now on Valtrex and within a couple weeks my brain came back. Before that I could not even read anymore. My brain to eye function was nearly gone.

The Vitamin D, B, and amino acid therapy has really helped my energy, brain function, muscle weakness, and my immune system.

So............ dont let them just give you valium or an antidepressent and say you are stressed - maybe you are but make sure you get all other factors checked out before you accept that diagnosis

Also, when you have any chronic infection like sinusitus, you can get brain fog from the chronic infection - My daughter has had several severe episodes of Fibro and brain fog following long-term sinus infections so she is monitored now by a CFS Dr and Stanford. If she sneezes she is on antibiotics becuase it goes resistant on her and then she is bedridden for months. She has broken out all over in hives just from the toxins of the infection.