Went to Dr today - Starting Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by schaken, Aug 18, 2005.

1. schaken

schaken New Member

Hi everyone,

Well I have been off of milnapricin for 1 month. Went to my PCM today. She is starting me on cymbalta starting Monday.

One week of 30 mg at dinner time. Then 9 days on 60 mg. Then I talk to her, and she will either increase or keep my dose the same depending upon how I feel. She is great.

The base at Whiteman had someone come in and talk to the Doctors about FM. It was really a good experience.

Leslie
  2. Toga

Toga Member

I am so glad you had a good experience with your PCP. And I'm glad you are starting Cymbalta. Please keep us informed as to how you are doing and how it compares with Milnacipran.

I'm sorry its taken me so long to read your message. We were out of town for a long weekend. Took two of our grandkids to the lake. We really enjoyed it but when we got home we had a series of minor disasters.

Our A/C was out (still is.) It was hard trying to stay comfortable. We finally got a repairman out this morning and it seems our compressor was hit by lightening. Wish we had gotten some rain with it.

We still don't know how long before that's fixed but its cooler today so its not so bad.

Sunday night I started a load of clothes because I had so much laundry and the machine started smoking and stinking. It was a mess.

Finally got a repairman out for that this afternoon, and it was a bad belt. Got that replaced so now I can start laundry.

That's why I have not been online. It has been so hot in my little sewing room/computer room, I couln't stand it.

I am anxious to hear how you are doing as Cymbalta is what I'm going to be taking starting in October. I hope you are feeling better every day.

Toga
  3. schaken

schaken New Member

Well, yesterday and today we have had alot of rain. Couldn't get to the pharmacy until today. Took the first pill.

Should know in about 1 to 2 weeks how it is working.

Leslie
  4. Toga

Toga Member

on both of you. I really very curious about This.

Julie, what were you on before starting Cymbalta?

Leslie, did you gain weight on Milnacipran? I did, lots of weight. And I was not skinny before I started it.

They have never said a word about it at the Study Doctor's Office. I mentioned it once, about half way through, to the coordinator and she looked at my chart and said, "I'm suprised they didn't flag that." I never mentioned it again and neither have they.

I'm kind of hoping that I might start losing after the study is over. But that is not important compared to how I feel. I would rather be fat then in constant pain.

Best to everyone,

Toga
  5. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

Are your docs looking to increase you beyond 60mg? Did they say why? Are lots of folks on here taking more than 60? I thought 60 was generally the max...

Thanks.
  6. Toga

Toga Member

I really hope that Cymbalta helps you. If you've been pg a lot in the past 8 years, I'm guessing you've got some kids.

They take lots of time and energy and then there's the rest of the housework that needs to be done. So good luck.

Toga
  7. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

it really has helped me beyond my expectations. I'm on 60mg for the last 9 months: I've been taking Cymbalta for 10 months total.

The only problems I've had were in the first week...just drowsiness and nausea. I started taking it with dinner instead of early in the mornings and it's worked out perfectly.

I have gained a few lbs, but I was trying to... I had lost quite a bit before Cymbalta because of intense an uncontrolled pain and no desire to eat. Jackie
  8. deedeej

deedeej New Member

What is this and what does it work on?
    Thanks Dee
  9. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Leslie...as another poster said, the first week can be yucky. I researched this stuff for two months before I was switched and the most common comment was that everyone felt terrible at first and got better everyday. Just remember that. I never had the nausea but I didn't feel myself and didn't feel good. It gets better. I am very happy with it now. Really hope you stick with it and that you find the same benefits that I have.

Dee: Cymbalta is an antidepressant that has been found to greatly relieve the pain levels in many Fibromyalgia patients. It is fairly new and even with insurance I pay the higher end of my premium, $40/month. It has really reduced the pain in the neck, back and shoulders for me. I have been on it about 4 months maybe. Don't feel like I am on an anti depressant. I can cry and laugh and desire like normal.

Maia
  10. schaken

schaken New Member

No I did not gain weight on milnapricin. Started at 178 and I now weigh 150. The Docs on base are doing checks to make sure nothing is wrong.

I think that I was just alot more active and was able to get down to a pretty good weight for me.

Do you have excessiv e sweating with Milnapricin. I did research on effexor (a componet in milnapricin) and it said that sweating was a possibility. I have check on cymbalta and it also has that same possible side effect.

I know that cymbalta also is an antidepressant.

Good luck to everyone.

Leslie
  11. Toga

Toga Member

Leslie,

Yes, I am sweating more then ever in my life. I thought it was the horrible heat we've been having. But now I'm wondering if it isn't the Milnacipran.

It will be interesting to see if you get the same problem with Cymbalta. It sounds like no big deal but it can be irritating.

What I hate the worst is if I'm hurrying to get ready to go somewhere and I can't seem to get my hair dry. And I think the more irritated I get, the more I sweat. A real pain.

But I guess it could be worse.

Toga
  12. gramaT

gramaT New Member

do you take all 60 mg of cymbalta at once?
    I'm trying to increase mine and I get so sleepy

thanks,
    Carolyn
  13. schaken

schaken New Member

The sweating on milnpricin was pure agony. How do you explain to someone that you are not sick. not running a fever etc, or that turning the air conditioner down won't help.

Hair would not dry. Yuck. I hope that cymbalta doesn't do the same thing.

Can't remember what every asked questions about. Oh yeah. I take cymbalta with my dinner meal. When I go up to 60 miligarms it will all be at one time.

Leslie
  14. Vada

Vada New Member

I am presently taking 120mg of cymbalta every morning. The recommended therapeutic dosage was upped a few months ago. I predominantly take this for my depression but find that it dulls the fibro pain some. LaVada
  15. schaken

schaken New Member

120 miligrams? When was the normal dose upped.

I don't suffer from depression. Just (?) FM. Hope I don't get the sweating like I did with milnapricin.

Leslie
  16. schaken

schaken New Member

Did you get off the cymbalta? What are you taking now?

I up my dose to 60 mil on Sun night. So far I just don't feel real good. Can't say why. Real tired and achy. A little upset stomach. Basically no energy.

Still can't sleep at night.

Leslie