Went To First Fibro Group Meeting Today.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Dec 9, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I went to my first Fibro/CFS group meeting today. This was in a conference room at the Monterey Peninsula Community hospital here in Carmel, California.

I was the only male. I ask if any men ever came to the meeting...and was told "no!"

Wonder why?

Anyway it was 8 or 9 other sufferers. Most were in their 50's and 60's although two were in their 30's.

Super nice group. We all got to tell our stories. We talked about FM and CFS for over 2 hours. Covered a lot of ground, just like this board.

It wasn't a depressing meeting. Even though we all were in pain, everyone did everything they could to block it out and be as calm as possibe and as positive as possible.

I can't wait to go back to the next meeting. It was kind fo like meeting people on this board in person.

And it was a real mix. From length of time of this problem, to different levels of pain, from pain management and herbal remedies and other medical sharing. And different DX's besides the FM.

Also, some attendees were financially devastated like me, some had no money problems. This wasn't discussed much in this group today. But there was an instant bond here regardless of background. Quite unlike any I have seen. A lot of compassion was shared. It was definitely worth attending.
  2. padre

padre New Member

I too am a male and actually facilitate groups for people with FM/CFS. Once in a while another man comes in and is glad to know they are not alone. So many more women have the issues. Most of all, I'm glad to started to go to the group. They are really helpful if you let them be. Good for you.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jeogeth:

It sounds wonderful. Is it weekly? It is so nice when we can share of our situations.

Yes, money. Before I got SSD I spent so much. It is sickening.

I hope all works out for you and it is a real plus that you went to the group all.

nyrofan
  4. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Joeb7th,

I have attended a CFS group, however it is about an hour drive away from me. The times that I did go, there actually were quite a few men at each meeting.

When I went to the Support Group, I too felt like you- it was a wonderful experience! I was welcomed in. It was like meeting people on this board in person. In fact I ended up assisting at a state Conference.

I hope to restart a local group w/ one of the other local Leaders, here in my county. I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting & plan on returning.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Joeb,
    I'm so glad that the group was successful. You couldn't pick a more beautiful place to have one. Carmel is one of the dearest places on earth, to me. I taught at the Mission School for several years, a long time ago- in the '60's.

I wish you continued good fortune. Congratulations on finding a really good group and for having the courage to go.

All the best,
    Terry
  6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

It is the main thing in our lives. Dealing with this. And to share this with others "who understand" and are sympathetic. It is in some ways better than seeing my therapist. Who no longer wnats me to discuss my physical problems. She said I am to do this with doctors. She is there to help with my emotional problems.

But the physical is consuming me.

Just a thought about women getting this more than men. Could testosterone have any effect on this disease? And could perhapss a drop in this hormone in men make them more suspectible to this?
  7. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

One of the members of this group told me that it sounded to her like I had some other medical problems. Like something besides FM was involved. This was a very educated woman, former VP of a large corporation. She was being very rational.

I told the group how I believe me immune sytem and nervous system became damaged after I took a 7 day course of the antibiotic "Levquin."

I described my problems and symptoms the last year.

I have yet to see an endocrinologist and it was suggested I see one. But man, there aren't many around here and the one I called about doesn't even take my insurance?

Also, supposed to go back to another neurologist. The group said he was good but doesn't believe in SSDI.

It's so tough to find doctrs who believe in sticking with you in all these areas.