WENT TO NEUROLOGIST TODAY;STARTED ON A NEW MED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Sep 12, 2005.

1. nje

nje New Member

I`M THE ONE THAT POSTED ABOUT BURNING SKIN AND NUMB TOES. HE GIVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR LYRICA,I`VE NEVER HEARD OF IT. HAVE ANY OF YOU? HE SAID IT WOULD HELP WITH THE BURNING SKIN. HE ALSO MADE ME AN APPT. TO COME BACK NEXT MONDAY,THE 19TH AND HAVE THOSE 2 TESTS I HAVE ALREADY TAKEN FOR 2 YEARS IN A ROW 1 IS CALLED A DOPPLER TEST ,ITS WHERE THEY CHECK THE CARTOID ARTERIES IN YOUR NECK FOR A BLOCKAGE,THAT ONE DOESN`T HURT, BUT THAT EEG THEY GIVE FOR THE NEUROPATHY IN MY LEGS IS SOOOOOOOOOO PAINFUL. WHAT THEY DO IS LITERALLY SHOCK YOUR LEGS FRONT AND BACK,EVERY INCH OF THEM. OOH!!!!! TALK ABOUT JUMPING AROUND ON THAT TABLE LIKE A JUMPING JELLY BEAN. I DREADDDDDDD IT WITH A PASSION. I`D RATHER GO TO THE DENTIST AND HAVE A ROOT CANAL THAN HAVE THAT TEST. IT LASTS ABOUT 30 TO 40 MIN. THEY HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR YOU EITHER;THEY DON`T GIVE YOU TIME TO GET OVER 1 SHOCK TILL THEY ARE SHOCKING YOU AGAIN. I KNOW THE TEST IS NECESSARY BUT LOOK LIKE THEY COULD RUB SOMETHING ON THEM TO NUMB THEM (LIKE NOVACAINE,LOL). OH WELL I`LL GET THROUGH IT ,ALREADY HAVE 2 TIMES BEFORE.
    PS. I START GOING TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT CENTER THIS FRIDAY,I WAS A LITTLE WEARY BUT AFTER HEARING YOU ALL THAT GOES TALK ABOUT THEM ; I FEEL BETTER. MAYBE THEY CAN HELP ME. I`M ON PERCOCET 2- 4 TIMES A DAY,BUT WHEN I HAVE FLARE UPS(AND I DO QUITE OFTEN) IT DON`T TOUCH IT. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT TO THE NEW MEDICINE HE PUT ME ON TODAY,PLEASE POST IT
    THANKS TO MY FELLOW SUFFERER;
    NJE
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Hello, NJE!

I have never heard of Lyrica; however, I looked it up on a prescription drug site on the web and all it said was:

* Treatment of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

What have you taken for your neuropathy before? Maybe this new med is something similar to Neurotin. I believe that I am getting that in my feet, so this interests me.

I have also had the nerve tests done on my legs with all the needles! Ugh!!

Let me know how your pain management trip turns out!

Another tidbit that I would like to pass on: It would be really helpful to others if you would not type in all caps. It is really hard on some of our eyes trying to read all caps, especially when you don't break your post down into many small paragraphs.

By breaking your wording up into many paragraphs, like I have done here in my reply, really helps people read your post much better.

When posts are hard to read, some people tend to just pass them up. I hope you don't mind me telling you this!

Take care,
    Janet
  3. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I can't follow when you use capitals. It makes everything run together for most of us here. You will probably get alot more replies if you don't use caps.
    cindymindy
  4. sitiva

sitiva New Member

Lyrica is Pregabalin and has also been used for people with seizures. It is being studied recently for use on people with FM. Hearing great news with regard to it.
  5. nje

nje New Member

thanks for those who answered,even with all caps;i will not forget again----i hope,lol my memory is like my money,it just slips away,lol.

yes i believe it is something like neurontin because i read something to that affect somewhere on here last night

the funny thing is i`m not even a diabetic- at least i wasn`t the last time i had blood drawn,which hasn`t been that long ago.
    as for the neurapathy,i never had to take anything until now;because when i was diagnosed with it 2 years ago,i never hurt in my feet or legs.
    i guess he figured as long as i wasn`t hurting,no need to give me anything. but my legs totally ache to the bone when they start in,and they burn like a bad,bad sunburn,but so does my back and arms also

my toes are really what feels weird,all numb and stiff;i`ll post again after my tests monday
    also, the lyrica makes you very sleepy,the doc. told me to take 2 a day if it didn`t make me sleepy,but just 1 at night if it did make me sleepy

welllll gloryyyy!!!!!!!!! it knocked me for a loop and i could not get out of the bed this morning,everytime i tried to get up,i`d fall right back in the bed.but thats bettter than not sleeping at all,which also occurs often also,
    thanks all who posted and reminding me of the all caps thing. i never get mad at someone who is just trying to help me. nje