Went to the gym...pray for me!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Well we were finally able to pay our YMCA fee. We got a great deal.$40 dollars for 5 months.That is all 4 of us.

I have really missed the gym.But I am very afraid of the side effects of it.I did 30 minutes of low impact cardio today and some ab work.I took 3 aleve as soon as I got home.So if you see me post screaming with pain....talk me down from the cliff.My reheumy. said I need to exercise despite the pain.She said it is a pill I have to take for the sake of my heart.Which I do enjoy exercsing but I am still scared of the after pain.

You might be hearing from me again.Right now I am trying to finda way to get free medication.Would be nice if there was a site that gave away free groceries.

Take care everyone,
    Sheila
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hope all goes well. Like you we got reduced membership so I went to Pilates Core class and it was too long, too fast paced and hurt my neck. That night I had the worse migraine so bad I thought I was having a blood clot. I am still recovering today, and still feel nauseous. I am just going to take it steady in future. It could be because I am in my fifties on top of FM. I felt I need modified exercises, though the Pilates was good in itself, just better for the fit 30 somethings that were in the class. If you are on Medicare, the new prescription plan (if they iron it out OK) will give you meds for $5) if they refuse and you are a family of four on less than $39,000 pa the PAP's straight from drug companies will mail meds to your doc office for free. This is all in USA of course. Good luck with Y, I actually enjoyed raquet ball for just 20 mins non competitive and did OK with that. Love Anne
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Sheila....I am going to the gym, too, and really enjoy it. However, I have a tendency to feel good when I am exercising, so good that I often go at it too much too fast!! Then I pay for days....So go easy on yourself. I have to remember to pat myself on the back for just GOING to the gym, and know that if I can only do a few minutes of cardio, it's OK, and it's PROGRESS!

I usually do the elliptical, and it seems to be OK with my body if I start out slowly and gradually increase my time. It makes me feel like a normal person while I'm at the gym and certainly gives me a big mental lift!! Blessings to you..Ann
  4. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

WATER,WATER,WATER THE YMCA water classes have saved my life. I started with the arthritis class in the mornings alot of strething but after a few weeks it wasnt enough. Now I go to water arobics and I grin like a fool the whole class. My ymca has a whirlpool the size of a small room(holds at least 20 people) I get in there before class and again after class for about 10:00min each. I was sooo bad with the never ending pain and the deep depression I wasnt sure I could go on. The 30.00$ mth is a stretch for us but I figure if my hubby can bowl each wk, I can afford something that has saved my life. On the worst days just do what you can in the water, even if you just float. Try it. The worst part is making myself get ready and drive there. It has helped me be stronger to handle the pain better. We all want that, dont we?
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi Sheila,

Sometimes you guys make me laugh cause what you say hits home and is so sad it's funny.

I'm so glad that you were able to join the Y.M.C.A. The other day I ran slowly on the treadmill and it felt so good. I felt like flying! I wanted to go faster, but I didn't. I knew to go slowly. Some of the time I walked to be especially careful.

By the afternoon of the day after...and today, my stupid calves hurt so badly that I look like an old woman when I'm walking. This is funny to me, really it is, partly cause it hurts so bad. I normally recover really well and so quickly that I still don't get how I can possibly be in so much pain in my calves and my hips. It's like my body isn't getting enough oxygen in the right places.

But I'm not going to let it get to me. Right this minute, I'm going to go take a hot shower and go work out cause I'm determined to win...even if it kills me.
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheila:
    I am so careful with exercising. I usually mess up my body on the things I try. I have started walking and although it is not much: it is better than nothing.
    I hope you have a good experience at the Y. And yes: I had my doctor mention Aleve as being a good medicine.
    Good luck,
    Hugs,
    NyroFan