We're ALL on the www....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeniwren, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hi all,

This is a warning to everyone: Your log name is available on the web for anyone to find and read. Just enter the name you are using here into a search engine and see the results.

Feels a bit like a betrayal to find everything you've posted is "out there".

Jeni
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2003]
  2. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Bumping.....

'cos I think it is important that everyone possesses this information and makes up their own mind about it.
  3. JQP

JQP New Member

They can only read our messages, which they have been able to do for some time. And then they have to know our log in names too.

They can't get into anything new because of the current system of signing in each time, plus without registering they can't get to the personal stuff of the profiles.

Perhaps the moderator can find a way of blocking it on the outside, but as has already been said, who knows who reads our messages? Must be loads more than have registered.

Apart from not liking our doctors, the disabilty systems, medications, attitudes, etc we don't normally say that much against others. And quite honestly, if any of the aforementioned people read our site, I would be happy because then they might realise what problems we really have and how much they contribute to them.

Jacqui

4. KayL

KayL New Member

on any message board can be read *out there*. I belong to several message boards, and I've done google searches for particular things, and had my own posts come up in the results. It's kinda creepy, if you're a private person, but we do have to remember, *this IS the internet*.

Only thing I can figure is, don't post anything you don't want the world to know.

Karen
  5. bakron

bakron New Member

Just sign-in, go to your "handle" name, view the posts that you don't want up (clicking on the posts showing up under your name will get you directly to your post), and hit "delete."

6. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

I was concerned because on other boards at this site people had posted info that was a bit personal (email addy's etc)so I thought the best thing to do was remind everyone that the "public" could have access to it.

((((HUGS)))) Jeni
  7. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Supposedly, those web sites that require that you log on before entering the site can keep out those little web crawlers used by search engines. Don't know how true this is.
  8. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I don't like it, it feels like a invasion of my privacy. Of course I do not use my real name on here. I have listed in my profile here, my location and where I live before.

I did a search and could not believe it! I found messages, posts at other places too. I have gone by this screen name for around 4 years.

Not too worried though about it all. I am honest, have always been. I have nothing to hide or worry about.

Sunshyne
  9. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i looked and found lots of my old posts and it leads onto the whole page of the thread !

while i don't have anything to hide i like being anonymous and also do have some concern as there aren't so many of us in the UK.
    i certainly won't be saying anymore to give my location away.

However i feel safe about my email on my profile...because its only there for those registered and also its only my user name.

Its just weird to see us out there......oh i noticed i was listed on other message boards i have NOT visited so there must be some inherent inaccuracy too.

cheers, pinkquartz
  10. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything by this. I can understand the feeling of realizing we are not as isolated as we thought we were.

If our messages were blocked from people searching the web, we would never have new and wonderful people visit. I am sure most of us found this site on a search engine.

People can type in their symptoms in hope of finding something, and voila! they see a post from here with the same symptoms.

The name you are using is hopefully a pseudonym. Nobody knows who I am, my phone number or my address. If our IP's were posted then I would be slightly more concerned, but only slightly.

I have been using the internet for over 10 years now. I have had a stalker, and I have even had someone call my house. All of this happened because I posted my real name and the city I lived in. Just be careful not to divulge your personal info to anybody and you will be safe. Make sure your full name isnt in your profile, and set up a seperate email account on yahoo or hotmail to ensure your privacy.
  11. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Bump...

Just a reminder that we are public...

Jeni