We're not all perfectionists!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Heidi, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Blaming this dd on perfectionism is one of the most damaging myths that has been foisted on us....by doctors who want to easily label and classify us!!!

I believe this came about when so many of us sat in doctor's offices trying to explain the way our lives dissolved into fatigue and inertia. What did we do? We tried to paint a picture of how normal and active we had been. Being "unproductive" is a sign of mental illness or just plain laziness. We tried to prove we were neither...

I wasn't a meticulous housekeeper or an ace student...kind of average at most things...better at some.

My illness has relegated me to the sidelines of life. I have learned to "live my life well"....even with the fatigue and pain that often are my companions. BUT I don't buy the fact that who I was made me this way!!!!
  2. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Blaming this dd on perfectionism is one of the most damaging myths that has been foisted on us....by doctors who want to easily label and classify us!!!

I believe this came about when so many of us sat in doctor's offices trying to explain the way our lives dissolved into fatigue and inertia. What did we do? We tried to paint a picture of how normal and active we had been. Being "unproductive" is a sign of mental illness or just plain laziness. We tried to prove we were neither...

I wasn't a meticulous housekeeper or an ace student...kind of average at most things...better at some.

My illness has relegated me to the sidelines of life. I have learned to "live my life well"....even with the fatigue and pain that often are my companions. BUT I don't buy the fact that who I was made me this way!!!!
  3. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I didn't take this personally...just get protective any newbies who may think they were to blame.

I too have had symptoms since shildhood. Sometimes I "push" too far because all my life I have t ried to keep up with my peers and life. yes I have paid a price...but sometimes it's worth it.

I have 2 teens and they are in the same boat. Overdoing it is part of our life from time to time....we need to pay off the debt with planning for extra rest later.

Hope your weekend is great too!
    Heidi
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2002]
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

shows how you handle this. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and not letting it get you down. Good for you. I get things done now when they get done. I say they arn't going anywhere and I will get it done when it gets done. I am a possitive personality and always find something in the grey clouds. Like Gary is now home to see the youngest grow up and we are always together. Love that part.

No, we arn't lazy just a bit slower then others sometimes.

Good luck and take care, Kim and Gary
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

i to have had symtoms senice childhood but i belive that i have tried to be a perfectiost in the past at certin things like my house did USE to be spotless but i may have done things that way to make up for how i felt not being able to do other things because of this dd even before i knew i had it,but nothing i have ever done could have caused this and yes i get so mad when anyone suggust that anyone could prevent this dd

[ advertisement ]