Were you a really picky eater as a child?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am curious if a lot of us were picky eaters as kids. I was and my brother and sister with fm symtoms were. My other 2 brothers and one sisters were very good eaters. They don`t have any Fm symptoms. I also see in one of my sons that is very picky, Fm symptoms.

I`m wandering if that is an early symptom for us. We are so super sensitive to everything it would make sense. Anyway just curious, let me know if you can relate to this.

Sandy
  2. starmom

starmom New Member

My bro and cousin really did!! They would eat anything (including dirt), but I was SOOOO picky. My dau with the FM symptoms is much less picky than either of my sons. My youngest son has problems with SOOOO many foods. Taste, texture, they make him crabby or rashy.

I hate foods mostly b/c the texture of them, or the odor. New foods are NOT something I encourage in my personal life. Y'all should have seen me when another child's mom brought sushi to my dau's 2nd grade Christmas party. Kids LOVED it. I touched it, to be polite to the other mom. The other mom is known statewide for her Japanesse restaurant and its sushi!

My son hates textures, colors and foods that are mixed. I just cook a separate dinner for him most nights. Or let him make his own pbj. Even at 6 he is good at these.

Susie
  3. lana33

lana33 New Member

I am very picky. Was more so as a child. My daughter is more picky than I ever was. She refuses most new foods now. We have been to every type restaurant. My daughter when she was small ordered burger or grilled cheese sandwich,LOL. at any restaurant.

Her friends, when she got older teased her cause she hadn't had a lot of different foods. So for a while she started trying different foods. Now she is back to eating just what she knows.LOL.

Every since my gallbladder was removed in 1994, I am limited on foods that I like even, cause I cannot eat rich or fatty foods because I get nauseous or IBS symptoms. I shouldn't have a weight problem. Used to be real skinny till the last few years. I know it is about medications and not calorie intake.

My daughter is having fm symptoms too. However, I have not discussed her probability of having fm yet. She knows my health problems. I treat her symptoms. She has seen her doc for checkups and I mentioned her symptoms but she has not been diagnosed yet.

Hugs,
    Lana
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

There were a few things I wouldn't eat...asparagus, brussels sprouts, etc...but no, I wasn't picky. I still have fm/cfs, though.

Interesting post!

God Bless.
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i ate everything put in front of me
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

Ate anything and everything. Lifelong weight problem too. Never been picky.

Michelle
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I was a very picky eater. My step-mom would put things on my plate that she knew I wouldn't eat and I had to sit at the table until I cleaned my plate. Some nights she would cook only foods she knew I wouldn't eat. Liver, cabbage stuff like that. That is an interesting question.
    Pamela
  8. starmom

starmom New Member

My mom never insisted on this. I was LUCKY!! My best friends gma did this once. I sat until midnight (in 3rd grade) with a plate of liver. Then at breakfast I was given the same plate. By 11 am my friend's dad said enough, feed that child! THey just didn't believe I would barf if I ate the liver!

Of all the kids who hung out there, I was the only one to "win" the food battle. I would still be sitting there now if I had to. After that I never had to take any food, but I did eat what I took.

My oldest literally barfs if he is forced to eat something. Not as bad now that he is older, but as a kid making him eat anything was NOT an option. They tried it in his first grade until I heard about it!!

Food issues are rather interesting.

Susie
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

It does depends on how it is fixed. Example I like potatoes, but I can not eat those "grease balls", the breakfast potatoes you get a fast food places.

I like about all veggies. I do not like wild life very much, or brains or pigs feet....odd foods. I love liver.

But I do not consider myself picky, then or now. Susan