West Nile Virus.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dojomo, Sep 23, 2002.

1. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I have had a BAD feeling about this thing from the begining and since I live in Ill where most have died (23 of 89 total) I have been following this closely.

CDC now warns that not only does it cause rare but fatal encephalitis and flu-like symptoms but it may cause acute paralysis. I read one patient ended up on a ventilator. These patients affected with the polio-like symptoms were middle aged.

Dr Louis Katz, President of American Blood Centers Doesn't feel it is a big enough threat to screen all blood donated ......also feels that the benefits outweight the risks of getting West Nile. Not to mention that they really don't have a way to screen all blood right now.
    SO......... a HEADS-UP to you all... I wouldn't do any elective surgery till they start screening .This doesn't make much sense to me....anyone getting blood isn't a WELL person to start with.

And is it just me here in the Chicago area...that notices that there are no birds in the sky....maybe a crow or two...This seems to be very serious for our wild life as well.

The good news is...mosquito season is almost over.....lets hope it ends there for this year ...and they find better solutions before next year.......Stay safe.........DJ
  2. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I have had a BAD feeling about this thing from the begining and since I live in Ill where most have died (23 of 89 total) I have been following this closely.

CDC now warns that not only does it cause rare but fatal encephalitis and flu-like symptoms but it may cause acute paralysis. I read one patient ended up on a ventilator. These patients affected with the polio-like symptoms were middle aged.

Dr Louis Katz, President of American Blood Centers Doesn't feel it is a big enough threat to screen all blood donated ......also feels that the benefits outweight the risks of getting West Nile. Not to mention that they really don't have a way to screen all blood right now.
    SO......... a HEADS-UP to you all... I wouldn't do any elective surgery till they start screening .This doesn't make much sense to me....anyone getting blood isn't a WELL person to start with.

And is it just me here in the Chicago area...that notices that there are no birds in the sky....maybe a crow or two...This seems to be very serious for our wild life as well.

The good news is...mosquito season is almost over.....lets hope it ends there for this year ...and they find better solutions before next year.......Stay safe.........DJ
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can donate your own blood ahead of time for elective surgery; it's really the only safe alternative.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That's scary. We have plenty of birds here, but we are completely missing our usual high number of Monarch butterflies. The milkweeds that I plant to feed them are 6 ft. high because they have not come this summer. I had read that genetically modified corn was killing them en masse. I hope that is not true. When will we learn that we kill ourselves when we kill other creatures? Sorry, this is a bit off topic,
    Klutzo
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

One morning when my dog and I were out for our "walk," she walks, I ride my scooter, we passed a Monarch flitting among the pathetic trees planted by our builder. It was beautiful! I'm sorry to hear they are being killed by mutant corn! Anything to make a buck, even to the point of killing off the people who buy what they plant! Makes good sense to me!

Barbara

[ advertisement ]