WHAT 2 DO ABOUT MUSCLE SPASMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BronzeWomn, Jun 2, 2006.

1. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Hello, I go to the chorapactor all the time since i had a car accident. He tells me all the time that I have muscle spasms. Somtimes he can get my neck to pop and somtimes he says iam so tight till when he trys to pop it, my neck it won't pop,,thats when iam sore in the neck for the rest of the week. This time he wouldnt bother my neck and it felt much better..my question is: What do u all do for the muscle spasms..to try and have less pain.??? When i move my neck and or turn around my neck hurts most of the time. When I drive sometiimes its so stiff and hurt..what do u do about your muscle spasms. ? I hope i explaned this so that u understand what i mean. Thanks.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There are several things that you can try for spasms. Heat can be helpful; massage usually helps me. Sometimes a referral to physio will help and they can treat you and prescribe exercises, like stretching etc.

There are some muscle relaxant meds that can help. Flexeril is good. I'm sure others will tell you what worked for them.

Also relaxation and yoga can be helpful as part of your program.
    Good luck; I know how painful this can be.

Kathy.
  3. msmac

msmac New Member

First, be sure you are getting plenty of water, a lot of water for us that are sick, 50-60 ounces a day. This is a LOT but can be done if you start out and increase daily, slowly.

Secondly are you getting enough good quality magnesium, 800 to 1200 mg a day? This has helped me a lot. I have had violent spasms in my legs and feet also until I found out I needed more.

I also use heat, and I personally like the cooling gels for rubbing in, use a plastic spoon instead of your hand, get one with a long handle at the dime store.

Has he checked you for thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)? This is caused by real tight spasmy muscles in the upper chest near your clavicle, and can be real miserable. Mine makes both arms fall asleep at night, so we are working on relaxing these muscles. Best wishes!
  4. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

What should i look for in physician to get this kind of therapy. ? I am not sure what kind of doctor you mean. I prefer things that are natural if i can do this. What kind of onitment do u use and is it strong smelling? I just feel that i should move to another doctor to treat me for this muscle spasms..sometimes i can't sleep..if i lay my arms and legs a certain way..i get this pin needle shooting pain sometimes..i wake up early and still be sleepy.
  5. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Ms mac, what kind of coolin gel do u use. I had used magnesium b4 like 400mgs..and it made gas alot with me all the time..and i was going to the bathroom to much..it made me uncomfrotable. When I drink like over 3 or 4 glasses of water a day..i get diarha..I kow i got to find the correct amount for my body. If i dont drink enough i get conspatied. My fingers hurt sometimes when i play the piano..thanks for the advice. I think i will go to the family doctor and ask her to send me to an theripist. Cause during the winter monthes will be worst.