What a some ways to get out of a flare up...and still go to work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by broken47, Sep 6, 2003.

1. broken47

broken47 New Member

I have to get myself to school every day where I each middle schoolers, flare up or not. I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

Does anyone have tips for coping?

Thanks in advance.

brok
  2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Brohen:

Welcome to the site, I understand your dilemna I too work in the schools as an agency based intervention counselor. I float between the HS and MS putting out fires (crisis) and as I'm sure you know there is something always going on. I just finished my first week of school and woke up in a flare this morning. I am achey all over and the Fibro Fog is driving me nuts. Anyways, the only advice I have is prepare in advance. I put my supplements and meds together the night before, go to bed EARLY try to eat healthy definately not the school food and this year I am not skipping unches and giving myself breaks. Since your teaching do you have a planning period that tyou can use for a walk or stretch or just someplace you can find some quiet (almost impossible). Also are the adminstrators resonable about different duties that teachers do, perhaps you could monitor a study hall rather than have bus duty. I don't know how much you have told your supvisor. At the high school I'm based in the admin seems pretty good about teachers with difficult schedules. Make sure you take the down time at home, I rest when I can and my two girls have to help with the housework or everyone will be miserable. Hope this was helpful, I'm not a teacher but working in the schools can be so difficult, especially whjen one is not feeling well. Keep us posted and tke care of your self.
    Suz
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I am a school nurse, work in a high school. There are days when I can barely get myself to school, but I do anyway, don't know if that is healthy or not! You need to recognize, too, when it's time to use a sick day and just rest. I find that during the school year I don't do much else. I have a goal of taking a walk at lunch, since I take my lunch (when I am able to!) between the two kid lunches, but not until the weather cools down. If I make myself take even a few minutes to get away from my office at lunch, I do handle the day better and go home feeling a little less tired.

I am fortunate in that to some extent, I can control the intensity of my day. Yesterday, by about 2:00, I didn't do more than handle kids' problems as they came in, and did a little paper work, as I had had enough, couldn't even focus to do any more. After dinner last night, I fell into a dead sleep on the couch for 2 hours! yep, I was tired, alright.

Are you able to control how much standing and lecturing you do? Can you show a movie on those really bad days? Unless you really like middle schoolers (my least favorite age group), can you move to a more relaxed grade level? Middle school is a tough age to manage every day. I know I couldn't do it!

one day at a time...

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I could not see going to work in a flare. It makes me ill just thinking about it. I lost my job, and I don't know what I'd do if my husband didn't have a good job. Prayers to you all. Gentle hugs!!