What about a weight problem?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tonijo, Sep 8, 2002.

1. tonijo

tonijo New Member

Does being ovearweight add to the problems I already have? Will the list of dos and donts help with the weight? Will it help if I losw the weight? I know losing it is good for me I mean as fat as fibromyalga goes?
    Thanks
    tonijo
  2. tonijo

tonijo New Member

Does being ovearweight add to the problems I already have? Will the list of dos and donts help with the weight? Will it help if I losw the weight? I know losing it is good for me I mean as fat as fibromyalga goes?
    Thanks
    tonijo
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't know if losing weight will have any effect on the FM, I don't have a weight problem, and my pain when I am in a flare is unbearable.

I am sure losing weight may help other health problems, I am always concerned with my husband who does have a weight problem, but is very healthy otherwise. I worry that it could affect his heart and other things later on, he has lost weight on the Suzanne's Summer's diet, 40 lbs so far, he also takes 'Chitosan' from Pro Health which is a big help also.

You will no doubt get more replies to your question, but the board is slow on the weekends, so if your post goes down, please just bump it back up.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Shalom, Shirl

4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and my weight can easily vary 80 pounds in a fairly short time! I know this is horrible, but my weight depends on how I feel. When I'm well and active, I'm slim, and vice-versa. I have found no relation between my weight and my pain/fatigue!
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I have the exact same problem - its hard because others associate you feeling well with being thin, not understanding that you gained weight when you start feeling crappy again......I have CFIDS not Fibro but I can say I have flat feet (no arches) and my feet, legs, and lower back bother me a lot more when I'm heavier so I would think losing weight might help.?
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

....I once lost 46 lbs. on the Overeaters Anon. Acorn diet and though I felt better about myself, it did not help my FMS one bit. In fact, I think it was a bit worse because the diet allowed zero sugar, and sugar, as awful a food as it is, will raise serotonin faster and better than any other food, which is why we FMSers tend to crave it.
    I also had a woman in my support group who was very angry because she had lost 110 lbs. and it did not make her FMS any better. I was afraid she would let that anger put the weight back on, but she never came back and I don't know if she got fat again or not.
    I did get fat again, by going on a "maintenence" diet which allowed me to eat sugar one day per week. That was all it took to re-gain 54 lbs.!
    My point is, make sure you are losing it because it is the right thing to do for yourself and your over all health, and don't be attached to the outcome of improving FMS, or you may be disappointed.
    Good luck....I know how very hard this is!
    Klutzo
  7. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Wow, I never knew about what you said about sugar raising the serotonin faster which is why we FMSers tend to crave it - NO WONDER I love it so much and can go for only so long without it.

I have a real problem with eating because I'm in pain - you know, the comfort thing - any carbo makes me feel better especially at night before going to sleep when pain is worst. So over the years I've added an extra 50 pounds I don't need. I too have tried to lose weight but just have a heck of a time cutting out the carbs so try to stick to the complex ones as much as possible.

I know one thing...the encouragement & tips from this message board is a life-saver!! Thanks everyone.
    ps: I'm going to have a cookie now (just one).
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

weight will make any physical or medical problem worse and will even create some new problems. We are best off if we're a tad UNDERWEIGHT, rather than overweight. If you need to lose weight, DO SO, and your heart and legs will thank you!

P.S. we also crave sugar because we are addicted to it. It takes about 3 days of going without it to get it out of our system and lose the craving for it.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]