What about antibiotics and fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mastersinger, Jan 27, 2003.

1. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Hi! Hope everyone is having a better day than the last very painful day they had !!! I know I read this post, but didn't print it off. I have been on Biaxin for 10 days,and I have not had to keep reaching for the tylenol. I also haven't been complaining near as much. What was the story here between antibiotics and fibro? Any thoughts or knowledge??? Thanks in advance. I also incereased my advair to 4 puffs a day. It has helped me from getting full blown brochitis! Peace, Mastersinger
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Biaxin is in the same family as erythromycin and is similar to amoxicillin or cloxacillin. It is often used for bronchitis and sinusitis. It is not one of the drugs of choice for treating chronic mycoplasma infections. Drugs in the penacillin family do not work against mycoplasma infections at all.

We often have infections and sometimes just getting them treated makes us feel so much better. Infections drag down our already-broken immune systems.

We have discussed chronic mycoplasma infections here extensively. You can do a search on mycoplasma or antibiotics to bring up a list of these posts. The reason I mention mycoplasma infections is because Dr. Garth Nicolson's research has shown that 60-70 percent of us test positive for them. That is most likely a low percentage as the test is know to produce false negatives.

Love, Mikie