What about flu vaccinations?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by totteacher, Sep 24, 2002.

1. totteacher

totteacher New Member

It is about that time of year when people get flu vaccinations. I was wondering if anyone knows if getting the vaccination has any ill effects on people with FMS? I work around children and have often thought maybe I should be vaccinated but I never have done it. I appreciate any info that anyone might have. Thank you.

Linda
  2. totteacher

totteacher New Member

It is about that time of year when people get flu vaccinations. I was wondering if anyone knows if getting the vaccination has any ill effects on people with FMS? I work around children and have often thought maybe I should be vaccinated but I never have done it. I appreciate any info that anyone might have. Thank you.

Linda
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I was wondering the same thing, I am guessing we should not as we do have a suppressed immune system but I am not sure, perhaps our nurses out there can help us???

Jaci
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

for years being a healthcare professional...my doctor insisted because I catch everything and I keep it forever. In the 70's, I had reactions, but I usually don't now!
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

sick. It was so wierd with the last one I got several years back. As soon as the injection was going in I felt strange and could hardly get home. I was sick way sooner then I should have been but, maybe that was the FMS. Didn't know what I had back then.

I'd ask your doctor. Good luck, Kim and Gary
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

In response to a question about whether people with fibromyalgia should get flu shots, Jaci said something to the effect that maybe we shouldn't becaust "we do have a suppressed immune system." I've never had a flu shot myself, mostly because of a bad childhood memory that it may be time for me to get over. However, I'm puzzled by the reference to a suppressed immune system. I have multiple sclerosis in addition to fibromyalgia. In MS, the problem is an overactive immune system, one that attacks the body itself. I thought I had seen in my recent research on fibromyalgia thatthat at least some people think that like MS, fibromyalgia may be an autoimmune disease. If MS involves an over-active immune system and fibromyalgia involves an *under*active one, those of us who have both conditions are left in a major quandary. As it is, I'm not sure whether it would be good or bad for me to take meds or supplements that are supposed to strenghten the immune system.

If there are any nurses or doctors on this board who can offer some insight, I'd really appreciate it.

--Laura
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

... but from my doctor I gather that people with CFIDS can have both a suppressed immune system and and an overactive immune system at the same time, it's somehow on different levels. (e.g. I haven't had a single cold/flu over the last six years, because of overactive immune system, but my lymphocytes are way down from where they should be on the scale)
    Susanne
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I have the fibro, but also have AIH (autoimmune hepatitis), so my drs. tell me to take the flu shot..I have never gotten a reaction from a flu shot except back in the early 70's when it was for the swine flu..I had stopped with flu shots for a few years, and now get them since I have the fibro, before I ever had AIH..One dr. a long time ago, told me to get it because of the fibro..Go figure.....
    But I will be taking mine this year..
    I might feel a little crappy the next day or two, but haven't had the flu in years..fingers crossedXXXXXXX
    Take Care........Donna
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

i have to have my flu shot every fall. i can't afford to get the flu, i'll get pneumonia, which is NOT good with emphysema. i never get sick from it and i have never had any immune system problems from it. cindi
  10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I get a flu shot every year. I have never had a bad reaction. Consider this - having FMS sometimes feels like having the flu. So if we DO get the flu, the pain would be twice as bad. I don't want that.
  11. herblady

herblady New Member

i never thought of it that way. all the more reason to get my shot. cindi
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have had bad reactions to them and have decided to forego them for years. Even the new and improved ones make me sick. There is always a danger of contamination in vaccinations. We know the polio vaccine was contaminated from the green monkeys used to produce it, and many suspect the vaccinations the Gulf War soldiers received were contaminated with mycoplasmas.

People with our illnesses have an unbalanced immune system. We tend to underreact to some things and overreact to others.

I have used my trusty zapper to stop viruses in the past, and I will continue to rely on it in the future.

Love, Mikie
  13. totteacher

totteacher New Member

to all of you who responded to my question, but it looks like it is a mixed vote so far. I hope if any nurses see this they will respond with any medical info they may have. Perhaps there is no definitive answer to this question. I'm so leery of getting that vaccination. I fear I may be one of the people who would have worsened FM because of it.

Linda
  14. Suze

Suze New Member

Years ago I read of a study that looked at the elderly and flu shots. It said those who got yearly flu shots had the immune systems of much younger people.

I've been getting flu shots for many years, following a bout of flu that went into pneumonia. I got the shots without incident throughout my years of FMS remission, and I'll get one again this year.

Laura, I raised the immune system question on this board over the summer. You might want to do a search and find that thread of messages.

Suze
  15. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

That is interesting, I got raped in Feb 00, I was tested for HIV, Hep, all the usual stuff in that situation, I did contract genital herpes in the rape, I also got Hep vaccines afterwards & a follow up vaccine a while later, I cannot remember exactly the time frame, it was a difficult time (I could check on that if I need to) but I have wondered about the impact looking back. I don't have CF, just fibro that I am sure of but lately I have been wondering if CF is present also, I just started on ultram tho for pain so I am unsure if the meds are the culprit in my fatigue.

Jaci
  16. sybil

sybil New Member

flu can kill you.
    especially if you are in a high risk group,like diabetics,people with heart/lung problems.
    i have asthma and i have a flu jab every year,i'm not risking my life.i have been hospitalised twice because of flu and i was seriously ill.
    i would rather take the chance of the flu vaccine making my FM worse,than losing my life,

sybilxxx
  17. GILL

GILL New Member

I was told by my homophathic dr not to have the flu jab because my immune sysem would not cope with it. However homophathic dr believe slightly different things. I also dither each year but up to now have never had one. I am very intested , as you others, if anyone with proper medical knowledge has anything to add

Gill
  18. sybil

sybil New Member

i would seek further advice from a non homeopathic doctor about flu jabs.i think if you actually caught flu that also could damage your immune system even further and you could stand a chance of developing other serious illnesses.if you look how many people die in a flu epidemic,i would have thought people with immune system problems were extremely vunerable.
    my friend has H.I.V and he has to have flu jabs each year,

sybilxxx
  19. SAS

SAS New Member

Hi Linda,

About 6 years ago I had a very severe reaction to a flu shot. I developed Gillian Barre Syndrome. This affects the muscles in the body (the heart is a muscle), and my doctor was very concerned. I wasn't hospitalized, but was ill for 3 weeks. Now, mind you, I wasn't diagnosed with FMS at that point in time. I was just dx'd this past April. However, my doctor told me then that I should never have the flu shot again, since the syndrome would be more devastating each time. So, NO FLU SHOTS FOR ME.

Best to ask your doctor since he/she knows your medical history and reactions to medications better than anyone.

Chin up...
    Shirley
  20. selma

selma New Member

I have to agree with Herblady. It's always worked for me.

Hope your body reacts the same way.

Love, Selma