What about stairs???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

We are moving this summer to a house with stairs. I currently live in a single story. It has been a long time since I've had stairs in my home but I have lived with them before.

Over all I think the move will make life easier for me since it will put me closer to everything. Right now I have to drive 45 min to an hour to get anywhere.

Do any of you live with stairs? Have you adapted to them? Are there any tricks I should know about living in a house with stairs?

Thanks for your input.

Sofi
  2. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Hi Sofi,

I live in a s story house and 3 yrs ago we finished half the basement and my office is down there. I routinely march up and down 2 flights of stairs all day long (not both flights at once though). The majority of my tender points are in my arms, chest, neck and upper back. Ocassionally by hips and knees bother me. Some days are better than others. On bad days, I just go a little slower, stay on the main floor more. I also found walking up the stairs with my upper body tilted forward at an angle takes some of the load off of my thigh muscles and they don't get as tired as quickly. I had read about the tilting forward hint on a web site back in 1996 and it does help.

If I get to the point where going up the stirs is a problem, I probably will put in one of those lifts with the fold down seat that runs up the wall along the stirs.

Hope this helps. Have a good evening.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

and the thing I like best about them is that you don't really have to tidy the upstairs because no one ever sees it. So, if my bed isn't made and the bedrooms are a mess, no one would ever know!

I try to keep the downstairs tidy so that the place looks clean when people come in.

One thing I do is make as few trips as possible up and down the stairs. So I pile things on the stairs that need to go up. Likewise I have a table at the top of the stairs that I use to hold things that need to go downstairs.

Aside from that, I look upon the trips up and down as exercise since it is about all I get!

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  4. Chrisnufc1892

Chrisnufc1892 New Member

Do you have a general mobility problem? Do you have a weak side? If so then go up the stairs leading with the good leg, and down leading with the bad one. A good way to remember is "Good one to Heaven, bad one to H*ll".

And get into the habit of letting others take things that need to go upstairs/downstairs to save you having to make as many trips. The fewer trips up stairs the better.

Good luck with the move.

Love and hugs

Chris x
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

while holding on to the rail.I also lean against a wall when I have to.Linda
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

A year ago we bought the "only" home in our rural area, and it has 3 stories. Good news is that it was in the process of being built, and I had my bedroom on the main floor. So I rarely use the stairs.

Other day I got a hit of rare "cleanup" energy & ended up going up & down about 12 times in a row!! I pulled everything in my body, and can't even "think" of walking, going out.........well, think I learned that one the hard way.

Hubby, much younger, is even complaining about his knees, ankles & energy!! Guess it'll be those stairchairs down the road.

Stairs started bothering me when I was in my mid-50's; now in my mid 60's........

All depends on each person's capabilities/limitations; like everything else.

LIGHT***********carole
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I dont do stairs well and moved from an upstairs apartment to a bungalow, no stairs.

When I MUST use stairs and I avoid them when I can, I find going up and down sideways is best for me, much easier on hips, thighs, knees etc. And I take my time.

love
    Rosie
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Stairs are my ememy. I've only got 3 on my front and back porch both leading into the house, and in the winter they are a handful. I'm going to get rid of them someday.lol
    Dee50
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Your tips will definitely help me. I am aprehensive about it but we need to move in closer and we've had this house under contract for several months (before I was diagnosed). It already has a substantial amount of equity in it which we don't want to give up.

Over all my mobility is pretty good (not pain-free but functional). My hips do go out on me once in a while and my feet have been a real problem - also have rls. But I think I'll manage the stairs OK. I'm just concerned they will wear me down over the long term.

My parents have stairs and I know when I'm at their house I limit how many times I go up and down. I just pray this house isn't a mistake.

I'm giving it to God and keeping my mind open to other possibilities. We don't move until the summer, so a lot could happen.

I'm also terrified of the move itself. I never do well in moves. Any tips there?

Sofi