What about steroids?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misfit101, May 20, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

This has been an awful week. I feel like 5 people jumped me and kept beating me after I went down. I am wracked with pain all over. Low grade fevers. Headaches. I was wondering if anyone has been put on steroids short term. Theyre supposed to work for swelling and inflammation arent they? Id almost try anything at this point.
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I dont want to take them long term. Im not sure theyre meant for that. And if after a course of oral steroids the pain gets worse...fuggedabouit. But Im getting desperate here. You know what they say about desperate people...they go to desperate measures. And Im desperate.
  3. terramac

terramac New Member

I have been prescribed a 5-day burst of prednizone several times in the past for the terrible burning pains that followed the nerves down the legs. My neurologist thought the pain was from an old back injury. I know now it was the start of my fibromyalgia symptoms. This did seem to settle things down, and the pain did get better. I couldn't even walk or have anything touching the skin, and by the second day, was starting to feel some relief. These drugs can cause very serious and lasting side effect. I dont think alot of doctors will even want to prescribe them, but maybe if an outbreak is very severe, it might be worth a try to discuss it with your doctor.
  4. misskoji

misskoji Member

I am a Dr. Lerner Patient. He was upset that my family doctor RX'd me a steroid for a rash that wouldn't go away. The family doctor thought if my immune system was supressed a little while, the rash would go away.

Dr. Lerner explained (I'm paraphrasing of course) that this is the last thing we want to do. Our immune systems are already running extremely low, and by supressing them any more, we do more damage by letting our ongoing chronic infections take a better hold of us.

I would suggest you only take steroids as a last ditch effort or for something of a more serious nature, like an acute illness. I hope you feel better soon.

5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I REALLY appreciate these replies. I was about to beg my doctor for them. Literally at the end of my rope. This has made me seriously reconsider the prudence of asking for them. I think Im going to have to see if theres an alternative out there when the pains unbearable. Im already on narcotics for an unrelated issue and dont want her to think Im seeking more drugs. I might be between a rock and a hard place bc Im not sure how seriously she takes the dx of these DDs. She wasnt the doc who dx'ed them. Her comment was that Im already on the rx that is used to treat them with. After reading here Im not so sure about that. Thank you all so much!