What all should i tell rheumatologist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, Jul 25, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I have my first appointment with the rheumatologist next tuesday. I would like to take a notebook along and make sure I tell him everything I can about how I am feeling, etc, etc.

Are there certain questions I should ask him about fibromyalgia or should I let him bring that up first?

My chiropractor seems to think this is a full blown case of fibro, i have progressively gotten worse, and it seems to be on a fast track.

I have already had blood work from the neurologist to rule out arthritis, lyme disease, thyroid, and who knows what else but everything came back as negative.

Have had an mri, x-rays out the whazoo, everything has showsn as "normal" although i KNOW for a fact, this pain and weakness and fatigue are not "normal".

Anybody have any suggestions, I don't want to forget anything when I go for my appointment and with this stupid brain fog that seems to be ruling my life, i know i have to write it all down beforehand.

2. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i just got back from my rheumy appt. i was honest upfront and told him everything. he had the same answer as everyone else. We can do this or that. let's do some blood work and see. My advice is prethink everything that you've tried been on, has happened and be prepared. I was. I'll know in two months what he can do for me.

Angell
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Sorry, but they are quite useless usually. Unless you need their opinion for some reason, they are not capable of helping much with FM or CFS. I have seen others on this board say the same thing. I had one tell me that I should "push" myself. Of course, if she had known anything about CFS, she would have known that was the worst thing I should do. Take care. Marie
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

Mine did me absolutely no good whatsoever. Except his resident doctor wanted to put me on Vicodin for pain and the rheumy said "no, not for this." I quit him that day.

All he ever did was read my chart and send me for blood work. My CRP was always elevated which is the enzyme for inflammation. He never gave me a pill one.

But you may find a good one.
  5. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a great rheumotologist. I would suggest writing down ALL of your symptoms and previous medical history. You may not think it's important..but the doctor will.

Write down all the meds you have tried and the triggers that you have noticed.

I wish I would have done that...I have been there several time and every time I remember something and have to say, "oh by the way doc...."

good luck!
  6. Take a list of all your symtoms, copies of your tests you had done. My rheumie is great dealing with fibro. i do hope you asked if your rheum. dr. deals with these types of problems, and most of all ask if he believes in fibro. good luck, let us know how it goes.