What AntiVirals are being used and why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 12, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I have read off and on about anti-virals for either/or Fibromyalgia/CFS.

Since I really do not understand much of these things, can anyone help me establish what they use, how do they get it and what it does?

Thank you,
    nyrofan
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

You would have to have a doctor confirm which viruses are part of your FM/CFS experience. Expensive lab tests are needed.

My M.D. wouldn't think about it, it's when I went to a D.O. that we started thinking viruses for CFS.

Others have had great success with enzymes: they dissolve the isoprin coating on the virus so it can't attach itself to our DNA. Virastop and Vitalzym are popular with this, but you can try naturals: Melons, papaya, pineapple and Kiwi. If I juice 1/3 of a Honeydew, I feel better.

In my case, I have toxic metals that were messing up my body's production of enzymes and neurotransmitter.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Please read my posts "A Strategic Plan for Getting Truly Well" and "AV's, Herpes Viruses and the Immune System."

If you have further questions, please let me know.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank you for the information. I just do not know about how to approach my doctor about it. I am covered by insurance (Medicare A,B, and D).

How would I approach my rheumatolgist about it?

I would hate to lose him because before him I could hardly walk too far.

nyrofan
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

It's my impression that you mostly have fibro and just a little CFS. Is that correct?

If so, it seems important to see if people's fibro symptoms have been helped by AV's.

I personally don't have any fibro symptoms, but a lot of people have both CFS and fibro. It would be interesting to see if any of them have found their fibro symptoms to have been helped with AV's.

I'd like to know the answer to this myself, just because I'm interested in learning as much as possible about AV's. I'm thus going to put a question up on the board.

Meanwhile, Forebearance is using an over-the-counter enzyme product called Virastop. She says that it has been very helpful in relieving what she calls "burning, neuropathic muscle pain."

I tried Virastop one day myself and had a major herx, so I'm convinced it does kill something. I decided not to continue with it at that time because my doctor was about to put me on Famvir (and then Valcyte).

However, if I ever can get my herxing on those two drugs to go away, I'm going to try a bit more of the Virastop myself and see what happens.

Perhaps you might want to read Forebearance's posts and see if that's something you might consider. She has done a series of threads, all entitled something along the lines of "Continuing the Experiment with Antiviral Enzymes." She updates her progress at least a few times a week.

Her most recent thread has a site I found with lots of info on killing viruses with enzymes (particularly Virastop). Apparently parents of autistic children have investigated this route, since a lot of those kids have evidence of chronic viral infections.

The good thing would be that you wouldn't need a doctor's prescription. I'm also not sure that prescription antivirals are covered by Medicare for long-term use. (I'm holding my breath that my own insurance company doesn't cap the length that they can be used solely because of me.) If they're used regularly for CFS/fibro/autism/whatever, the drug companies undoubtedly will lower the price, but right now they're awfully expensive.
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lisapetrison:

Loadsof info,but how would approach the doc about it??

thanks for caring,

nyrofan
  7. saved630

saved630 New Member

I would love some more info on this myself