What are B-12 shots for????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fawn, May 17, 2003.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I hear of many who get them. Are they for energy? What exactly is the difference between the shots and taking a B-12 vitamin pill? Thanks.
    Barb
  2. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I was found to have low levels of B12 so the doctor has been giving me shots. If you have too low levels you can develop pernicious anemia. Supposedly it is not readily absorbed when ingested. Yet some reports say that is not the case; you can take it orally and have it be just as good for you. Some say that if you take the sublingual form (placed under the tongue) it is better absorbed than the pills. Guess it all depends on who you talk to.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2003]
  3. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Thanks for answering my question on B-12. If I needed them, I would find it real hard to inject myself. I would go for the regular vitamin or the sublingual one. Hope you all are doing well today.
  4. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I too, take B-complex vitamins and there is B-12 in it also. I am not sure of the absorbtion. I will ask my doctor about it and try to remember (brain-fog here) to let you know. Have a good day.
  5. Claudine

Claudine New Member

Hi---I am new to this board. nice to talk with each of you.

I take B-12 SHOTS every month and will for the rest of my life. I have PERNICIOUS ANEMIA which means I do not have intrinsic factor in my stomach to break down the B-12 in my food in order for me to absorb it. It will just pass right on thru my system and right on out. It is an absorption problem. The B-12 must then be injected into the muscle to reach the blood stream.

Yes, many take B-12 only by choice, for more strength. I have no choice. I MUST take it. If not, yes I will be very fatigued but the major problem I would have is symptoms similar to Parkinsons and Alzheimer. The absence of the folic and B vitamins damages the nervous system. Also ,anyone with this form of anemia runs high risk of stomach cancer.

I would like to take a B-complex(many vites in one) but my body just won't absorb it.

I hope this has been of some help to someone.

Thanks
    Claudine
  6. Claudine

Claudine New Member

Hi---I am new to this board. nice to talk with each of you.

I take B-12 SHOTS every month and will for the rest of my life. I have PERNICIOUS ANEMIA which means I do not have intrinsic factor in my stomach to break down the B-12 in my food in order for me to absorb it. It will just pass right on thru my system and right on out. It is an absorption problem. The B-12 must then be injected into the muscle to reach the blood stream.

Yes, many take B-12 only by choice, for more strength. I have no choice. I MUST take it. If not, yes I will be very fatigued but the major problem I would have is symptoms similar to Parkinsons and Alzheimer. The absence of the folic and B vitamins damages the nervous system. Also ,anyone with this form of anemia runs high risk of stomach cancer.

I would like to take a B-complex(many vites in one) but my body just won't absorb it.

I hope this has been of some help to someone.

Thanks
    Claudine
  7. kgg

kgg New Member

or sublingual tabs are the best way to get it. Many vitamins that you take by mouth have B12 in them but not a large amount and not well absorbed. So extra B12 is helpful to a lot of people.
  8. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi, I give myself B12 injections at home (.5cc every other day), for a over 3 months, now, and will soon begin taking B
    Complex injections at home along with the B12 injections. As Claudine mentioned there are some who have pernicious anemia, as a reason to take B12.
    In many with our FM/CFS there are malabsorption issues, which is why I take injections. (The other methods were not being absorbed) Malabsorption is common because of candida overgrowth (yeast), Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and Leaky Gut Syndrome, which are found in many with FM/CFS.
    B12 is taken for energy, but also for neurological reasons. If you research B12 you will see the many symptoms of deficiency and the symptoms they create in the neural system. Most of my symptoms are neural in nature, and this is the reason for dosing.

Because there are a few adverse reactions that have taken place, I was not allowed to begin my B Complex injections like my B 12 injections at home. I had to have a few trial doses in the Dr.s office. After my next appointment, I will be able to bring home my B Complex vial, and use both the B12 and B complex injections.
    There isn't anything difficult about the injection, it is very easy to do yourself.

As Spacee said---this is not a cure, but certainly does help. Hi ya Spacee *wave*

LL
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2003]
  9. Claudine

Claudine New Member

Starbright

I took a B-complex tablet this A.M. just to test it for you. I knew my body would not absorb it and yes my urine was a sort of orange look. Now for you ,it doesn't necessarily mean that you haven't absorbed it because if your body has a good supply of B-12 in already, your body just passes thru the excess that has been taken in . My body passes ALL of it thru. Your body may have taken in what it needed and wasted the rest.

Thanks
    Claudine