What are good ideas for workand helpful hints for stayin healthy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylight, Sep 11, 2006.

1. daylight

daylight New Member

I've notice that there are many of us looking for a job and I was just curious what some of you do for a living? I know that I'm getting just a little desperate to find a job as the bills are piling up. The problem is that I've been sick for months and don't what another flare up. However I'm not going to let that stop me.
    Also need hints for staying healthy. I've had two really good days and I want it to continue.
    Thanks all.
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I wish I could help you but I can't work and the longest I've managed to stay healthy is 2 wks. But this will bump it for you.
  3. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

If you do go look for work, try to find something that doesn't require a lot of physical movement. A desk job would be best. But, even if you do get a desk job, try to get up and move a bit every 10 to 15 minutes to keep your body from stiffening up.

Also, try to also eat as natural as possible. Personally, if I eat this way, I feel so much better. Not a cure, but at least it does help. Stay away from fast foods, frozen dinners, etc. They're full of chemicals and believe they only add to our problems. So, that means, you'll have to take food with you.

Eat outside as much as possible...get some fresh air.

Hope this helps in your decision...

4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i work as a nurse which probably isn't the best career with all the walking and lifting, but i'm not ready to give it up. what i did was find a jod where i had control over my schedule so i nver had to work more then 2 days in a row. also i only work 4 days a week. finding a way to get enough rest with your job i think is the most important.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm so sorry for the financial problems you are having. I still work part-time as a secretary for a small college. So far it's working out well for me. I work M-F. The latest I work is 1:00 on Mondays and only until 12:30 the rest of the week. Early in the day is better for me, although getting out of bed some mornings is a struggle. I try to get up a few minutes earlier so I can move around the house and try to work out some of the kinks and stiffness.

I feel very fortunate and hope I can continue what I am doing. I like my job and working at a college is an interesting place to work. I work in one of the academic buildings for quite a few professors. It's not as busy as it sounds, as many of the professors are part-time and a lot of them do some of their own work. So most of the time it's not too stressful. The most physical thing I do is sort mail. If something comes in that's too heavy for me to lift, I get someone else to do it for me.

I am also lucky in that the job pays well and I get health insurance, too. Because I work for a school, I don't work during the summers. Money gets a little tight during the summer, especially this summer since my husband wasn't working as much. But it's really good for me to have the three months off.

When I get home, I lay down for an hour or so to rest. This gives me enough energy to fix dinner and any housework that needs to be done. I am learning to pace myself and not try to be superwoman. I also try to wear comfortable clothes and low-heeled shoes. I have a comfortable work station and chair (something I requested a couple of years ago), plus wrist rests for the computer. I try to give myself frequent breaks from typing (fortunately this job doesn't have a lot of typing) and also I get up frequently to stretch.

Guess this is getting pretty long. But if you have any secretarial skills, you might look for some sort of desk job. Of course a job where you are typing for hours would not be good. It is difficult, isn't it? Perhaps a receptionist position? Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Ellen