What are others with fibro & neuropathy taking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamelakc, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I am currently taking Neurontin 1 three x per day, Vicodin 5-325 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed, Soma 350mg 4 x per day, Trazadone 100mg at bedtime for sleep. I need something for depression. Is there anything any of you would recommend? Thanks, Gentle Hugs Pamela
  2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have discovered that some drugs that may help with sleep, such as trazadone and clonazepam markedly elevated my pain levels and worsened my mood. Why not try an antidepressant that will help with pain and sleep, such as cymbalta?
  3. Jittle

Jittle Member

I agree with something like cymbalta.
    I went off trazadone because i felt like a zombie. Cymbalta will help with depression and will also help with sleep
  4. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I may try cymbalta, I have got my dose of trazadone lowered as I had been on 150mg instead of 100mg. I am nowhere near a sleepy as I was. I have been very depressed lately thou so maybe cymbalta will help. Thanx gentle hugs Pamela
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

If it's okay, I'd like to ask a question about vitamin D. One doctor told me recently that I was deficient in vit. D and wanted me to take a supplement, but when I asked my regular doctor about it she said I should just get more sunshine.

I'm not able to sit out in the sun because of pollen and also, I break out in a rash. I was wondering what kind you took and how much. Thanks, GB66
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Just an idea, instead of changing to a snri and If trazadone is helping for sleep stay with that and consider adding edronax/reboxetine in the morning, reboxetine is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor and noradrenaline can help with pain and energy. Its normally taken twice a day but if your like most with cfs/fm and sensitive to meds then once a day dosing should be enough. I have used 1mg 1/4tab in the morn in the past with some success for energy. I found the effects eventually wore off and couldnt tolerate higher doses but it maybe better suited to others.

7. lindacb

lindacb New Member

My dr. Prescribes 50,000 units once a week and 2,000 units the other days.
  8. raven36

raven36 New Member

I am also on Neurontin 3 times a day. I also take wellbutrin for depression, amytriptaline for sleep (I was on trazadone but I felt like a zombie), etodolac (anti-inflammatory), b-complex, a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin D suppliment (prescribed). I still have symptoms but not nearly as bad as I am without them. Hope this helps.
  9. bowersalbany

bowersalbany New Member

My rheumetologist gave me some samples of Trazadone for sleep, it did not help me sleep at all and I experienced a very painful side effect I never even heard of. It's called "clitorism"?? Just wondering if I am the only one??
  10. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

That makes some since I wonder if that is part of the problem I have been having. What does it cause ? Is it what it sounds like? Thanx Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2011]
  11. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

Thanx everyone for the advice I sure do appreciate it and I hope some of them will be an answer for my problems. Thanx again gentle hugs Pamela
  12. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

Hi Pamela. I also have probs with nueropathic pain, and when I flare it is really bad. My maintenance doses of meds are Gabapentin,(nuerontin) 2-300mgs 2 x daily, then when i flare, 3-3x a day, Celexa 40 mgs a day, (cymbalta made my fibro worse), Soma (can't remeber the dosage right now) once at night about an hour before bed, and when I flare then 3 x a day, Trazadone at night, 75-100 mgs at night, and I can take up to 4 a night if needed. For pain, when I am not in a flare, and I am at work, i take Hydrocodone 5-500, 1/2 a pill, a.m and lunch, then when i get home I take a whole one. When I am in a flare, I can take up to 2 every 4 hrs. I have been missing more work in the month of may and june this year then i have since i was diagnosed. This crazy weather here in Iowa has thrown me for a loop! I hope this helps you.
  13. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

Hi Pamela, I am currently taking 5 mg BuTrans patch (for pain), anywhere from 50 mg to 300 mg a day of ultram (again, pain), 10 mg every other day of cipralex (anti anxiety - caution of combining pain meds with AD, talk to your doctor and pharamacist).

I tried Cesamet (THC) at night for sleep but didn't notice any difference, so I stopped.

I have been prescribed an anti-inflammatory but haven't liked the nausea that went with it.

I tried gabapentin but felt so zonked that I could barely function.

I am limited on the medications that I can take due to an esophageal (sp?) stricture (I can't swallow pills, I need to be able to open the capsules or crush the pills).
  14. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I just responded to your other post about pain, and I asked if you were taking anything. Sorry I didn't see this post first! :)

My current "cocktail" is Paxil CR, Klonopin, Ambien CR and Celebrex (this one actually mainly for my arthritis, but it helps with all pain). This works pretty well for me. Beforehand, I was a mess and probably would have driven off a bridge if I hadn't gotten relief. I still have residual pain and depression though. It's been a number of years I've been on these meds, at low dosages, so they may need to be "tweaked".

Anyway, this is just what works for me. I can't really "recommend" because we all react differently to so many things. I will say the Klonopin worked the most for the neuropathy. Before, it was unbearable. I think that neurontin works similarly to klonopin.

If you are still having a lot of pain and neuropathic pain, maybe and antidepressant known to help with nerve pain would be helpful. Some of the "old school" ones such as Elavil and trazadone I think are known to do the best job with this. Maybe discuss it with your doctor?

ETA: I forgot about mentioning my magnesium supplement. That also helps quite a bit with muscle pain and nerve pain. I actually benefit from the old cheap disrespected magnesium oxide. :) for a lot of people this one doesn't work, but strangely for me, it does. I may mix things up at times with some magnesium citrate or maleate just to keep my body from getting too used to one thing. But for every day, I take mag ox 500mg.[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2011]