What are probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emiltim, Oct 29, 2005.

1. emiltim

emiltim New Member

Hi everyone,

I have seen several posts that mention probiotics. What are they?
    Thanks, -Julie
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

They are good bacteria you need in your gut. Simular to what you get in yogurt (Active Cultures) The can be overwhelmed by yeast and damaged by antibiotics. You need these and you need to kill off the bad guys. Take Garlic for that! Lynn
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As we age, our bodies produce fewer and fewer good bacteria in the gut to counter the bad bacteria. This causes poor digestion and a serious condition called, Leaky Gut Syndrome. With LGS, pieces of food can pass through the walls of the intestine. When the immune system recognizes these food particles, it attacks them as foreign matter and food allergies ensue. Some of the food particles are putrid and can make us sick.

It is important to supplement with probiotics after the age of about 35 and it is critical for those of us with immune issues. Good health begins in the gut. My own regimen for rebuilding my immune system is comprised of taking probiotics (Jarro-Dophilus sold here), ImmunPlex undenatured whey, and colostrum (both also sold here).

After three months on transfer factors, I now pulse them every six weeks for a day or two to help keep my immune system fighting infection. Again, I buy the TF's here.

Love, Mikie
  4. emiltim

emiltim New Member

What are those??
    Do you have to take a lot of pills throughout the day? I can never remember to do that.

I am on a de-tox program right now that I heard about on the radio. It has a intestinal cleanser, cellular cleanser, yeast and parasite eliminator, and 'healthy flora'. What do you think? I've never tried any kind of herbal supplements, so I'm pretty ignorant about them. I do take fish oil capsules (I hate seafood).

Any advice is appreciated...:)
    -Julie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are a bit much to try to squeeze into a post. You can read about them in the Store here or online. They basically train the immune system to recognize and kill pathogens. Different TF's target different pathogens.

Love, Mikie