What are some easy dinners for 2 to make?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Jul 24, 2006.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

Tacos
    8 layer mexican dip
    beans and salad
    cucumber salad
    sloppy Joe's

what else?

Thanks so much I'm sure this will help a lot of people....baanders
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

May sound boring, but hamburger helper or tuna helper, add lots of onion powder and pepper, it will take the "out of a box" taste out of it! It will fill up well, too!
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

TV Dinners LOL I like them :)
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH doesn't eat rice or noodles and isn't real excited about potatoes! Makes side dishes pretty tough.

Last night I cut up some round steak, coated it with flour (garlic, salt, pepper), browned it on both sides, then covered it with bottled barbeque sauce, put a lid on it and let it simmer about 45 minutes. Makes the steak really tender and would probably work well with any of the "cheap" (yeah, right!!) cuts of steak. We had it with corn on the cob, cherry tomatoes, watermelon and cantelope.

I use Betty Crocker mashed potatoes from the little bags. They take two minutes to make and are inexpensive. Makes about 2 1/2 cups and I toss what we don't use. Also works great to make them ahead of time and make fried potato patties out of them.

I make sweet and sour meatballs on occasion. Would serve with rice, but DH won't eat it, so I use the mashed tators when we have that.

We raise our own beef so we always have lots and lots of hamburger! I'm always looking for a new hamburger recipe! I make tacos, hamburgers, hamburger patties, meat loaf and sweet and sour meat balls. Any other suggestions?

I was raised in a family with 10 kids so I learned to cook for an army. We still end up with extras some times, but some of it I can take for lunch. Cold sweet and sour meatballs are pretty good! DH doesn't eat left overs unless I disguise them really well!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

These may be too easy...I stopped cooking almost completely a couple of years ago. I try to eat a larger lunch and then have something smaller for supper, so some of these are "breakfast food" because I'm eating a smaller meal late in the day. When I make things that required cooking, I do it on the weekends.

eggs
    oatmeal
    grilled cheese sandwich
    cream of wheat
    red beans and rice
    pot roast (I don't cut the skin off the potatoes or the carrots)
  6. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

Take boneless skinless chicken breasts (however many you want), put them in a crock pot, cover with jar of Salsa and cook on low all day, then make some white rice and serve the chicken/salsa over the rice. You can even start with frozen chicken breasts. Nothing easier than this, and you can make as many as you want.
  7. jjdg

jjdg New Member

On wednesdays here at the local grocery store they have Cheap Chicken" day. it's one of those rotissoray(SP)chix.,all ya need is a box of rice make it with a can of cream of chix soup add a veg.or slice for sandwhiches,BLT/w chix makes it a chix club.use a box of stuffing instead of potatoes,or the rice,or sweet potatoes.make a "summer" mini Thanksgiving.I also use a can of chix broth thicken it add chunks of the chix,and a bag of mixed veggies,i serve this over cornmeal muffies,chix salad stuffed in a tomatoe,with sliced cukes and toms,if you like avacodo and papaya i have a great recipe.I lone to cook and make up new things
    Janet
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

Try cooking for one!

I love Stouffers Lasgna- they have single servings and a family size

My own baked spagetti- I will make it, eat it for 2 days and the rest goes into single serving in the freezer

Hot Pockets - 4 Cheese & ham & cheese with cheetos

Digornos Pizza - 4 cheese

have you noticed anything here,lol

I am not a veggie person and while I do eat the above, most the time it is a bowl of Special K Vanilla Almond. oatmeal, Peanut Butter french toast,mmmmmmgood.

And of course- ice cream- I like it for breakfast sometimes, really :)

I know it is sad but I was force fed veggies as a kid and I can't even stand the smell of peas or greenbeans without having flashbacks,lol

I do occassionaly fry a couple pork chops, or boneless chicken breast with Hungry Jack mashed potatoes. How about salmon patties, I haven't had those in forever, with a side of fried apples.

Maybe if I continue feeling better, I will have to cook something that doesn't come out of a box,hehehe - Carla
  9. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

and go lie down, LOL! Any meat I have I put it in the toaster oven, covered. I season with various spices (favorites - Tony Chatcheries and TexJoy Mesquite Shake) or Shake & Bakes or mushroom soup. A pack of frozen veggies in the microwave. Off the low carb diet but still don't eat potatoes or rice but I cook potatoes for my husband with meat in oven or in the microwave if not, Success Rice in the packets in the mircrowave.

I go to more trouble cooking for my dogs, but that only has to be done once/week - it's the everyday cooking that gets to me.
  10. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I got so tired of trying to cook for 2 that now I just cook and freeze it for later, or we'll eat it again.

Can't say enough about the crock pot.

Throw meat in, add sauce/seasoning and let it go. Serve it with some rice, veggies, salad on the side.

Use your imagination. I buy bottled marinades/sauces and keep them on hand so that I can make a variety of meals with very little work.

There's a brand called "World Harbors" that I love. It comes in flavors like Bombay Mango, Jamaican Jerk, Teriyaki, etc.

So, I throw some chicken in the crock pot, with chopped onions, jarred crushed garlic, and whatever other veggies I want and pour a bit of the sauce in and it's done!

All you need are sides which can be as easy as bagged salad, fresh fruit, rice, etc.

With the teriyaki we have rice and pineapple.

With the bombay mango, we have rice and sliced mango.

I like to make rice now because I can just set a timer and forget about it.

We also have the chicken/salsa dish. Or, I'll use black beans instead of chicken, and add salsa and a can of drained corn, and serve it with cornbread (a box mix is like 35 cents here).

Darn it, now I'm hungry!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2006]
  11. keep the ideas coming, I need some crockpot recipes. I know browned pork chops with a can of mushroom soup is GOOD! What other easy ones?
  12. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
  13. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

pot roast

throw one in with some herbs/spices

You can have many different meals. Just cut it up after it's cooked and freeze portions.

I like the refrigerated cooked mashed potatoes. Just throw them in the microwave, jarred gravy, and a veg.

Add some bbq sauce to some of the meat and serve on rolls with some salad or other side.

One pot roast will give us many meals.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2006]
  14. Linn3

Linn3 New Member

Using my crock pot helps alot! Once the ingredients are in there you can forget it for 8 hours till its ready. You can cook enough for 4 people and freeze half for another meal. The best part for me is, since this dd makes it impossible to predict when I will feel well enough to cook, I can put my crock pot meal together whenever I feel well enough....even at 2 in the morning! I just put it together and put it in the fridge, pull it out in the morning and turn it on.
    Serving size pieces of round steak, lightly browned. Layer in crock pot, add sliced onions/mushrooms. Cover with canned gravy, cook on low for 6 or 7 hours, serve with noodles and a frozen veggie.
    Chili in the crock pot would make enough for 3 meals for 2 people

Reuben Sandwiches

Spagetti using canned sauce, just microwave the ground meat, it's a lot easier than frying.

Open faced turkey sandwichs using sliced turkey from the deli and canned gravy

Any one else have any good shortcut meals?
  15. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Marie Callenders frozen Chicken N Dumplings is great and easy. Found this in the frozen section at WalMart.
  16. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Take some of that salmon and cut into serving size filets. Then wrap in foil with some lemon, parsley and dill (if you like dill). Then I put it on the grill and cook. The foil makes it nice and moist...I'm fixing some tonight!
  17. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've got this one on here somewhere else, I think.

EASY "FRENCH DIP"
    BEEF AND SWISS HOAGIES
    Put Beef Roast in Crockpot
    add
    2 cans beef broth
    1 pkg dry Zesty Italian Dressing Mix
    1 pkg dry Au Jus Seasoning Mix (near spaghetti and gravy mixes and stuff)

Cook on high all day until it falls apart.
    I usually have them on Whole Wheat Hoagie Buns with Deli Slices of Swiss Cheese. I put just a little of the au jus sauce on top of the meat when I put it on the bun....yummmmmm

They're really easy to make, pretty tasty, and the cleanup is easy cause my crockpot goes into the dish washer, of if I do have leftovers, the crock will go into the fridge.

I had been thinking about an all crockpot thread. Maybe that would be a good idea for one of the next ones. That's about the only way that I can cook any more....
    hugs,
    MrsJ
  18. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I stock up on Trader Joe's frozen foods. They are pretty healthy and yummy. All I have to do is make a salad and some rice to go with the main course. It is easy and delicious.
  19. achy

achy New Member

I buy frozen ch. breasts at Sams Club. You can do anything with them...grill, bake, pan fry, etc..

My favorite: Mix a can of mushroom soup and half can of milk in baking pan. Add chicken breasts, sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.

Bake 45 mins or so. Make brown rice or noodles and a veggie.

Can be made in crockpot too - Rice can be cooked with chicken, add extra water with soup.

comfort food
  20. schaken

schaken New Member

I started to buy this magazine from Reimnam (?)publications when my children moved out.

They have some real easy and different meals. They are also on the web.

Leslie