what are some natural sleep remedies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I've been taking a heck of a lot of valarian and l-theanine for the past 2-3 weeks. Worked fabulously at first, but now not so well. I wonder if it's getting less effective for me, or if it's just that my candida is worse now that's making it hard to sleep. I just started taking probiotics, so of course the candida die-off is keeping me up more than ever. Could you suggest some other sleep stuff I can try? Thank you. :)
  2. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

Hi,
    melatonin is available in north america in most health food stores and helps a lot. gaba is a natural muscle relaxer and a great anti anxiety supplement that can help relax you for sleep. some people have had success with apple cider vinegar, but not me, it did not help me at all. valerian, hops, camomile, catnip, passion flower are all very mild herbs to help sleep but they did not help me. if it is anxiety, other supps that will help are b vitamins and essential fatty acids. most of all I find gaba and melatonin to be most helpful. non natural options that have worked well for me were low dose amitriptyline and trazadone.
    good luck
    Mark
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Melatonin is illegal in Canada.

I have bought it under the counter.

The hot epson salts bath is nice and relaxing and might help with sleep.

Good luck Denamay
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

and I know there are a bunch of prepared supplement "cocktails" designed for support of quality sleep avail at any drug or wellness store. Just remember to check your meds against bad reaction to each ingredient if u get something that contains many herbs/minerals
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

that the protein in milk helps people sleep. So a glass of milk, chocolate milk, bowl of cereal before bed will help. I don't know how fast or how well, but there have been tests done on it and it does help. Think I'll try it this evening.

We' see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2005]
  6. ladyfishme

ladyfishme New Member

My doctor told me Hot Milk. Heating it releases some chemical that helps you sleep. It worked but I got trouble nightmare. Never had a nightmare before.
    There are teas that make you sleepy. But at my age drinking before you go to bed does not work. In the bathroom all night.
    I'm trying Valerian root. Don't know what I think yet.
    Good luck!
    Kim

7. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

Melatonin is not illegal in Canada, I live in Atlantic Canada and every health food store carries it. doctors can also prescribe it.
    Mark
  8. jana15

jana15 New Member

are fantastic for sleep. But I don't know if it is available in the USA. Ast a natropath or your local health food and supplement expert. Also you could try listening to relaxation tapes and meditation. It works wonders for me.

Cheers Jana
  9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Sorry about my melatonin information. Maybe things have changed since I last tried. But we could'nt buy it in Alberta. I will check into it further. Thanks ,Denamay
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This supplement is zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6 in a proprietary formula. It has worked very well for many here. I tried it once from a healthfood store and it didn't work. It's important to get the right formula.

ZMA also helps repair muscle tissue while you sleep. It's used by body builders to repair the tiny muscle tears from lifting.

Love, Mikie
  11. Shannonsparkles

wish I knew which to try first! :) What would you say is the strongest one? Which ones are milder? Thanks!

Does anyone know if it's okay to take l-tryptophan while taking St. John's Wort? I tried 5-HTP (the thing that l-tryptophan converts to) and that didn't mix well!!

Yes, there is melatonin available here in Canada. Only saw the 3mg kind, may have to look around for the 'low dose' kind. Denamay, are you still living in Alberta? Where in Alberta? I live in Calgary.

((((all)))) Shannon :)
  12. Shannonsparkles

P.S. Jana15, appreciate the meditation tip! I just started trying relaxation/visualization tapes this week. It's so neat and fun that I think I'll do it every day. Makes up for the vacations I've missed. ;) The tape I started with it 'Healing Meditations' by Bernie Siegel. Then lastnight I made my own relaxation tape and tried it out. That was fun! I found the script to read online. I liked making my own because I could go at my own pace and don't have that background music.
  13. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I am also a fan of l-tryptophan. I take 1,000 mg at night but I try to alternate with some other sleep aids. I'm always afraid that my body will adjust to it and not work anymore or I'll have to take more. I use FTH Nutraceuticals brand. It's 39.50 for 120 capsules. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. I started buying it online from their website but now my health food store is carrying it at the same price. It's really the only thing that gives me a good night's sleep other than Ambien and my Dr. won't prescribe that for me..... :(
  14. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Hi,It's me again, I had to get it clear in my mind about the melatonin, so I talked to my pharmacist and this is what he said:" melatonin used to be illegal in Canada. Now it is in sort of a grey area, the govt. is not finished giving it the final ok."

You are right, it is sold in health food stores and pharmacies stock it to fill prescriptions.

Melatonin will soon be available over the counter in drugstores.

I hope I am right about this information.

If this the case,then we were both right and both wrong.
    Cheers Denamay
  15. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there shannonsparkles,

Making your own tapes sounds like an excellent idea! A couple of years ago I did a 10 day Vipassina Meditation retreat (they run them all over the world and are free or by donation) I found this method FANTASTIC and it gives me somewhere to go (in my head at least) when the pain/fatigue stops me from sleeping. You can find out if there is a centre near you by googling Vipassina. If you have no luck put up a post and I'll get you some more info.

Cheers Jana