What are some things you do to be good to yourself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Goldenlight, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Just wondering if anyone will share some positive things you may be doing to take care of YOU. Like for example, I once read about a comfort box that you would fill with various things that bring you comfort -- different for every person -- like pictures of loved ones, poems, a couple of pieces of premium chocoloate, an envelope of bubble bath -- things like that. Then when you are having a particularly bad day you can get out your comfort box and find something that would help you that day. So -- does anyone have thoughts on this?

Goldenlight
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

sitting in a quite room no noise at all with a cup of warm tea .Taking warm baths and getting a pedicure.
  3. gottalaugh

gottalaugh New Member

Nice idea for a thread...

My first and foremost thing is to spend time with those who truly love me and support me.

When I am alone I will do things like others mentioned - a hot cup of tea, a funny movie or program, or listen to music that is fun or soothing.

4. simplyhurting

simplyhurting New Member

Sitting with my feet up in front of the wood stove and reading a comedy or murder mystery and sometimes a good romance novel always helps, especially if I do this when no one else is around and I have a great cup of green tea to enjoy. Chocolate used to help but I find it sometimes causes more pain. Also a warm shower followed by slathering my legs and arms with great smelling lotion and cuddling up with a warm blanket helps.

simplyhurting
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think particularly for women..we think about how we are going to get things done for our families while we are sick..but we don't put enough thought into what we will do for ourselves!
    The most important thing I do for me is to take a break when my body is telling me to. I often feel like I should push thru the pain and finish the task at hand..but when I am thinking about it..most things will wait..and I do so much better if I just take a break-put my feet up-enjoy a bevarage..maybe some fruit...watch a bit of tv..or read if I am up to it...or on the rare day when I can talk on the phone..call a friend. THAT is one of the best things I can do for me it seems!
  6. sneakers

sneakers New Member

1. Wear velvet.
    2. Blow bubbles.
    3. Race pull back cars on the dining room table.
    4. Read a smarmy romance (Nora Roberts, good sex scenes, Georgette Heyer wonderful British humor)
    5. Buy $10 worth of party supplies at $1 store and throw a dance party for yourself (you only have to invite 1 person...you)
    6. Eat chocolate (dark has antioxidants)
    7. Read a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon book & laugh out loud
    8. Play your old rock & roll albums...loud...(mine go back to the '70's)
    9. Get a pedicure.
    10. Have a silly string fight.
  7. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

1. Enjoy my job
    2. Laugh with my son
    3. Watch Comedy Movies
    4. Watch Horror Movies
    5. Get as much sleep as possible
    6. Enjoy the good days to the fullest
  8. dsames

dsames New Member

Soakey baths.

I use 2 cups of epson salts and 2 cups of baking soda, and Walmarts has some bath salts with lavender and chamomile in it. It is so relaxing, and then I go right to bed.

Lavender is such a great smell (in my opinion). I just feel myself unwinding.

Shirley
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

my albums are vinyl ... lol ... 70's
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I like your list! What a good idea for a thread.

Holding hands with my husband.

soaking in a hot tub.

Playing with my dogs.

Talking to a friend

Laughing

Reading

If I have the money I like to treat myself to a pedicure and or a massage.
  11. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

Watching my 19 month old play

Talking to my 20 year old or my mom on the phone

Making love to my husband if I"m having a good day

Letting him make love to me if I'm having a bad day

Sitting on the floor coloring with my 19 month old (sometimes his daddy has to help me back up)

and just as soon as I get my bonus check I'm buying me the Shiatzu Massager that I've wanted since last Christmas.