What are SSRI medications?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    I've been reading posts about these, and don't know what they are. I looked them up, but got nothing. Can anyone tell me?

  2. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    Anti depressants.
  3. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    I'm glad to see you on the Board tonite! I have been won-
    dering if you have been able to get info. on your Post con-
    cerning Reverse Mortgages. Also if you saw my reply to you
    concerning the Cert. Finan Planner on the Skyway??
    Hope things are getting resolved.

    My friend from Chico came down to see me for a few days and
    said she had to go home because it was to cool here in S.F.
    It was 87 that day! Oh, well

  4. wangotango

    wangotango New Member

    they stand for selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor's thats the long word,
    there are other antidep; that might have a little serotonin re-uptake properites and a little norepinephrine re-uptake properites.
    basically they keep the serotonin levels you already have in the brain and make them avaliable for the body for a longer period of time, thus increasing the circulating volume of serotonin as well
  5. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    - for your responses. I appreciate the info..

    MRDad, I've done lots of research, and have papers from the consumer action agency, etc, as well as some appraisals from real estate agents. I really don't see that I have any other way to go, because I can't downsize (my home is already one of the smallest). It comes down to either stopping my medical insurance and medications, or geting money from somewhere. Outside of winnng the lottery, I think the reverse mortgage is my only way to go. I still plan to see a financial planner, though. I have a fnancial advisor from Met Life, and she thinks a reverse mortgage is the best thing for me. Still thinking. . . .
    Thanks for your interest.

  6. CarolK

    CarolK New Member

    That's what SSRI stands for. They are one form of antidepressant that moderate chemical neuortransmiters in the brain such as, dopamine, seretonin and nor-epinephrene. All of these chemicals help transmit signals to the body.

    Seretonin especially helps to reduce pain... that is why many doctors will prescribe an SSRI even when you are not depressed... a low seretonin level can increase your pain sensation. An SSRI stops the body from taking up or using up too much seretonin... thus increasing the body's ability to tolerate pain at higher levels.

    Taking SSRI's when you have FM is one way to reduce your pain level... as well as increasing dopamine and nor-epinephrene.

    I'm no expert, but I have found that boosting the seretonin does indeed reduce the FM pain.

    Hope this helps... Blessings... CarolK

    PS.. drugs in the SSRI class are like... Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrine, Zoloft and Cymbalta

    Other antidepressants are in another catagory like, Tri-cyclets or benzodiazapines (sp).

    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  7. Leaknits

    Leaknits New Member

    SSRI meds are anti-depressants such as Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro and likely dozens of others I can't think of right now.
    If your dr prescribes them for you, do yourself a favor and approach them carefully.
    If you need them, you might want to start with a very low dose.
    If you notice you are forgetting things more, are more fatigued, have less ability to concentrate, and another dozen things that escape me right now, please re-think SSRI use.
    Been there, done that,
  8. tiredgayle

    tiredgayle New Member

    Hi Terry,

    What is a reverse mortgage? I am so afraid of losing my house as I am getting behind do to my fibro and not getting much from ssd.

  9. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    A Reverse Mortgage is a loan on the equity of one's home that doesn't need to be pain back until the home owner dies, or moves. It is available to people over 62, and that, and some equity in your home, are the only requirements. Credit rating doesn't count.

    A person can take out a Reverse Mortgage loan for as much as 57% of the retail value of their property. The maximum in California is $275.00. However, they can be refinanced.

    You can get the money in three ways: monthly payments for life, yearly payments, or a line of credit, or a combination of these. If you are interested, you can contact your senior center for the name of a representative, or contact one of the lendng institutions that handle reverse mortgages.

    If you are too young for one, look up the federal and state programs for the disabled. You can get help paying property taxes, and many other things.

    Good luck to you.


[ advertisement ]